Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Vibrate switch extremely sensitive

Vibrate switch extremely sensitive
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2009, 07:01 AM

Lately, my iPhone's vibrate switch has become increasingly sensitive - to the point now where the tiniest of movements will knock it off vibrate. The orange dot still shows, but by literally moving it a millimetre forward - it knocks it out of vibrate. And vice versa. Repeat this step about 10 times and you'll get the idea of how annoying it is!

This is obviously a bit of an issue for someone who needs their phone on vibrate for the majority of the day! Is this genius bar worthy? Thankfully, the phone is still in warranty.

Thanks

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2009, 10:58 AM

My phone has the same problem, you probably need to take it apart and clean the switch. I will be getting a 3G S today so I am not going to bother fixing mine.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2009, 12:22 PM

I've noticed the same thing with my 3G — I've had it almost a year, and it only started flipping out of vibrate easily within the past few weeks. I'll probably be upgrading to a 3G S soon, though, so I too am not too worried about it. Otherwise, it's probably worth a trip to the Genius Bar just to see if there's anything they can do for you, especially if it's still under warranty.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by tullamore View Post
My phone has the same problem, you probably need to take it apart and clean the switch. I will be getting a 3G S today so I am not going to bother fixing mine.
I don't know if it's possible to "clean" this switch, or any other switches.

Anyone else remember the old days of spraying contact cleaner in your stereo's volume control when it got noisy?

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by tullamore View Post
I wouldn't be comfortable taking it apart. It's still in warranty.

Thanks for the comments, I'll be booking a genius appointment for Wednesday. I go in there so often I'm pretty sure they all go "not him again"

Forum Links
Forum Rules