Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac II Bus Master Card

Mac II Bus Master Card
Nicholas Savage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2002, 03:07 AM

I have two Mac II Bus Master Cards sitting here.

What the heck do they do?

I assume that this would make an old mac II a little bit faster? . .what exactly do these do?
Why do people list their system configs?
G4 400Mhz (AGP) 1.5G RAM/32meg Radeon/Magma 7-Slot PCI Expansion Board in Q2000 Case/3 Sonnet ATA66 cards/Sonnet ATA133 RAID card/Adaptec 29160N/Adaptec 2930/ATI rage 128 PCI/M-Audio Delta 44/Unitor8 USB MIDI/La Cie FW-CDRW/Hitachi 6x DVD-ROM/Hitachi DVD-RAM/2 Hitachi RasterOps 19' Displays/755GB of ATA and SCSI Hard disk space.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2002, 10:03 AM

Hello Nicholas,

Bus Mastering is a concept where cards in a bus get "shortcut" paths to a system's RAM or maybe to a video card in the same bus.

A bus master card needs another card also capable of bus mastering to work. These two cards would be connected directly by a special ribbon cable.

As far as I remember there were just a few highly specialized cards (like video digitizer cards and such) available in the days of the Mac II that did take advantage of bus mastering.

Regards,

Walter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules