Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Advantages over Dell?

Advantages over Dell? (Page 2)
itguy05
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
At my work we ordered close to 150 Dell laptops for the district. 8 of the Dell laptops were DOA. Granted, 2 were probably broken during shipping because the corner of the box was bashed in.

We're returning about 6 more now that have died for one reason or another. Most of them from dead wireless chips, or whatever they have in them. One had a backlight burn out.

I can't say how that compares to other companies, that's the first time I've really run into buying over 100 computers at once. But 14 dead computers out of a 150. That seems like a lot to me. That's almost 1 dead computer for every 10.

With the 30 iBooks we purchased, 0 had problems. Though to my surprise, one of them had a nicer keyboard. So somehow 1 in 30 iBooks got a free upgrade.
Not a shocker at all. IIRC from PC Mag's reliability ratings, something like 20% of Dell's machine needed repairs. Compared to under 10% for Apple.

I've been around the business for a long time and would never buy or reccomend a Dell. They are utter garbage.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by powerule
Dell - for the money you get the best deal, dont listen to anyone telling you different. must of these readers loe the way the PB' s "look" or "feel" or they are sleek and the color etc etc....simply COSMETICS!! just read, the first thing you hear is a praise consisting of something cosmetic....
I thought it was divulging the wonders of OS X. Oh, AND it looks great.

I don't care how "cool" Dell tries to make their crap. It doesn't run OS X.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 10:57 PM

There's no doubt that the PBs are getting long in the tooth. Chip development just hasn't been there. The 14" 1.33 GHz iBook sitting right next to my 12" 1.33 Ghz PB has much better wireless range, and is only marginally slower, mainly because of the slower bus...

To my mind, the real reason not to go with Windows is the real climate of fear and stress that goes with the constant malware and adware attacks. Hour upon hours of updating, configuring, recovering, and mucho moolah--on a constant, daily basis. Sure you can pretty much secure the thing, but just look at toll it takes in stress and aggravation. Any little thing that goes wrong, you're dead sure you're infected, gotta use go back, even it's likely the shoddy software bugs or hardware conflicts.

When you've got Windows, paranoia strikes deep.

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules