Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Radeon 8500 AGP and 10.2 problems

Radeon 8500 AGP and 10.2 problems
ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2002, 12:38 AM

I just replaced my rage 128 in my dual 500 with a radeon 8500 driving dual displays. I'm having nothing but trouble...

I'm running 2 vga monitors, one through the vga out and one through the adc with the bundled adc to vga converter. The main monitor is running through the straight vga out. My resolution is set to 1600 x 1200 on both monitors.

The trouble started when I started testing out the changing desktop picture. It worked for a few seconds , then the second monitor started flickering and eventually the entire machine locked up. Hmmmmm..

So, I restarted, did the old /sbin/ repair, turned off the changing desktop, and went about the business of business. As I was working in after effects doing a ram preview (on my main monitor), the second monitor started to flicker again. It seemed whenever the disk would access, the monitor would flicker slightly. When my ram preview started playing, the second monitor flickered violently, and then......lockup.

WTF?

Anyone have any ideas? It's a pretty fresh install of Jaguar (which was clean BTW). I used to have an older radeon pci card as my second monitor which I pulled, thinking it may be the problem, but it still did it. One more interesting note - I tried running the second monitor through my old radeon and the cursor shadow appeared on both monitors, where it didn't before. Is the cursor shadow determined by the whether the main monitor is running QE? Obviously the old radeon can't run QE because it's pci (yeah, I know about the hack but no thanks).

Any ideas?

Thanks...

ccrider  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2002, 06:39 PM

bumpety bump

pdot
Senior User
Sep 13, 2002, 03:44 AM

have you tried resetting the p-ram?
command-option-p-r during startup. you should hear a confirmation chime/beep.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

Cipher13
Sep 13, 2002, 04:33 AM

To reset the PRAM that way, listen for 3 chimes before letting go. If you're lazy like me, open the machine, and hold the CUDA button for a few seconds. Bottom, back end of the mobo, little black flat button. Below the PCI slots, near the power cables that lead to the mobo.

I doubt this is a software problem. When the system is running, open it up and make sure the cooling fan on the R8500 is going - it could be overheating, though I doubt it. That would cause display issues that *may* make it look like the system has frozen, where it hasn't; has the system been running hot lately? Are you sure the crashing fits in with disk access, all the time? Grounding issue? Perhaps the drive isn't grounding properly, then accesses, drawing more power, flowing through the chassis to the R8500... though that doesn't make much sense, I could see something like that causing problems like this.

It's worth a shot, as much as I'm skeptical.

Forum Links
Forum Rules