Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CD-RW Problem with a new PowerBook 667

CD-RW Problem with a new PowerBook 667
kingturd
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2002, 04:53 PM

Ok, this is about the 10th time I've gone through my story, but I'll try to include all details and hopefully someone here can help me out.

I have a PowerBook 667 (DVI) with a combo drive. This is my first CD-RW drive. I went ahead and bought a 5-pack of Memorex CD-RWs and decided to burn an audio CD to see if my Discman would play it. It didn't, but that was ok, I didn't expect it to. So I put it back in the PowerBook to erase it and neither Toast nor Disc Copy would allow me to erase the disc. So I put it in my friend's CD-RW (PC) and erased it with Nero without any problems. I then put it back in my PowerBook and it wouldn't even read the disc, it just held it for a minute and then ejected it. I then burned some files onto it with Nero and tried the disc again. It still wouldn't read the disc. I tried it in my PowerMac w/ a DVD drive and it read the disc fine. I tried my commercial Warcraft 3 CD and a blank CD-R in the PowerBook and both read fine, it's just the erased CD-RW that won't read.

Any help with this would be much appreciated because I'm fresh out of ideas. I've tried emailing Memorex and they suggested emailing Apple.... although emailing Apple is a bit impossible and I don't know if this warrants a call to the ol' AppleCare number...

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2002, 09:42 PM

You erase CDs with disk utility, not disk copy.

kingturd  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by jules:
You erase CDs with disk utility, not disk copy.
Disk Copy also gives you the option. I will use Disk Utility next time I erase a CD-RW. But for now, do you have any idea why the PowerBook won't even read the CD-RW?

Forum Links
Forum Rules