Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is it possible to configure sleep modes?

Is it possible to configure sleep modes?
kingturd
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2003, 02:23 PM

I was wondering if it was possible to configure the sleep options on a G4 Powerbook. It'd be nice to have the option when I close the lid to just sleep the display but leave the rest of the system running (to transfer files, download from the internet, etc). I guess I just wish I could configure which components go to sleep when I close the lid. Don't get me wrong, I love that closing the lid can sleep the system, I use that feature constantly, I just wish for some more options sometimes.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2003, 02:30 PM

You can't do that but you can set the screen to turn off after a bit of inactivity, or you can turn the brightness all the way down to nothing if you just want the screen off.

kingturd  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
You can't do that but you can set the screen to turn off after a bit of inactivity, or you can turn the brightness all the way down to nothing if you just want the screen off.
Yeah, but I'd rather have the entire computer closed than leave it sitting open.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2003, 03:40 PM

Why? I don't really see an advantage to that, and since it can lead to heat build-up it doesn't really seem like a great idea.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 04:20 PM

Why? I don't really see an advantage to that, and since it can lead to heat build-up it doesn't really seem like a great idea.
Well, if it was in the middle of some intense number-crunching and you wanted to go off and have a snack AND you have rowdy pets or kids in the house, you might want to close it but let it keep crunching. My clamshell iBook's design is perfect for that: I just close it as far as I can without the hinge springing closed and prop it up on its edges.

Unfortunately, my iBook, which is over two years old, has annoying keyboard problems that I really don't want to pay a couple of hundred dollars to fix, so I'm getting a 12" PB and I'm interested in this particular subject.

The only way I know to run a PB with the lid closed is to plug in an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2003, 04:29 PM

What keyboard problems do you have? You can get replacement keyboards for older ibooks on ebay relatively cheaply. Not hard to install.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 04:58 PM

What keyboard problems do you have? You can get replacement keyboards for older ibooks on ebay relatively cheaply. Not hard to install.
Been there, done that, no change except that I'm out $150. I think it's something on the motherboard.

The problem is with the modifier keys (shift, control, command, and option). Sometimes they work but most times they don't. I can't trace it to any particular cause. I even tried a clean OS X system on my Firewire hard drive, thinking it might be an OS installation problem, but the problem persists.

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2003, 12:26 AM

there is this app called kismac, and it replaces the kernal to let it close without sleeping, but it has a big warning on it

i never tried it but that is the only solution i heard
w3rd..
surrey represent

Forum Links
Forum Rules