Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Boot cd for X

Boot cd for X
HiDDeN
Apr 12, 2003, 12:51 PM

Hi guys,
I just got me a new Dual 1,42Ghz G4. Just got one problem? It only runs OS X. I need to make a Bootable cd with X. I did have an app called BootCD, but it has a major bug and won't work as it keeps asking for my OS X install cd while it's already in the drive. Any ideas how I could make a boot cd?

Thanks
Nick

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by HiDDeN:
Hi guys,
I just got me a new Dual 1,42Ghz G4. Just got one problem? It only runs OS X. I need to make a Bootable cd with X. I did have an app called BootCD, but it has a major bug and won't work as it keeps asking for my OS X install cd while it's already in the drive. Any ideas how I could make a boot cd?

Thanks
Nick
Nick, are you using the latest version of BootCD? If you're running Jaguar, you need to have 0.5 or higher. Download it using the link in my sig.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sandsl
Senior User
Apr 12, 2003, 08:01 PM

BootCD doesn't seem to work on my machine and its the same for alot of others...for me, the password is always incorrect (yes I'm using the password in the readme and yes I've followed all the instructions).

When I sort assistance from the developer he couldn't help...so I'm a bit stuck really.
Luke

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
BootCD doesn't seem to work on my machine and its the same for alot of others...for me, the password is always incorrect (yes I'm using the password in the readme and yes I've followed all the instructions).

When I sort assistance from the developer he couldn't help...so I'm a bit stuck really.
Yeah, that's a known bug that popped up for some reason in Jaguar with some machines. I haven't figured out a fix yet. But it doesn't sound like that's what the original poster's problem was.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

HiDDeN  (op)
Apr 13, 2003, 09:53 AM

Ok, I got the new version of BootCd. the thing is, i'm still stuck. I need Norton on it to defragment my disk and even worse I can't loggin since it won't accept the password in the instructions.
Looks like i'm doomed.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2003, 12:45 PM

Ok, I got the new version of BootCd. the thing is, i'm still stuck. I need Norton on it to defragment my disk and even worse I can't loggin since it won't accept the password in the instructions.
Looks like i'm doomed.
Damn. Could you give me some info about your machine and CD-ROM (type and speed) to help me collect data on what types of machines have this problem?

Terri
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 01:21 PM

This is why having a FireWire drive is so nice.

That is along as your Mac has FireWire ports.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 03:11 PM

Just a heads up for those who think the BootCD does not recognise their password. Make sure you
enter your correct shortname. This should help.

sandsl
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Orion27:
Just a heads up for those who think the BootCD does not recognise their password. Make sure you
enter your correct shortname. This should help.
The readme says "3. When the login panel appears, type 'root' for the username and 'bootcd' for the password"
Luke

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
The readme says "3. When the login panel appears, type 'root' for the username and 'bootcd' for the password"
There's a bug that some users have notified me about - apparently, on some machines, NetInfo crashes when trying to load from the CD, so when you get to the login screen, it won't accept any username and password, including root/bootcd. I'm assuming that this is the problem this user is experiencing.

HiDDeN  (op)
Apr 14, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Damn. Could you give me some info about your machine and CD-ROM (type and speed) to help me collect data on what types of machines have this problem?
It's a dual 1,42 G4 with 2 gig SD DDR RAM and a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105. I hope this is what you need to know?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2003, 04:48 PM

It's a dual 1,42 G4 with 2 gig SD DDR RAM and a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105. I hope this is what you need to know?
Yep, thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules