Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I posted this on January 2nd, 2003 and you all laughed at me. Who's laughing now?

I posted this on January 2nd, 2003 and you all laughed at me. Who's laughing now?
Tiffany Mac
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 06:50 PM

First, let me just say that many of you are so quick to dismiss other people's idea's and suggestions. This was one of mine. Looks like SOME of you failed to have the insight and dreams that i had.

"I've been downloading music for the past two days. I've used Limewire (which slows down my system) and i've tried some other programs.

I hear that Apple is having a show in a week. Wouldn't it be cool if Apple had a built in DOWNLOAD MP3 function? I think iTunes is great, and that would be a really cool feature.

Do you think Apple could or would do this?"

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN

sorry, but major corporations are not going to want to help with the "pirating" of music

try using direct connect to download.

http://www.neo-modus.com/

BuonRotto
Elite Member

I doubt it just because it would put Apple in legal hell. Right now they fall clearly on the line of fair use, but not sharing/pirating.

Considering their plans to introduce Rendezvous-enabled iTunes where people can essentially "stream" each others' playlists with one another, I think Apple has a path around the pirating aspect of music sharing to some extent. If anything, they might push Quicktime Streaming Server/Broadcaster more into consumer space either as a plug-in/add-on or as a separate iApp for this kind of more remote functionality too.

TheIceMan
Elite Member

I agree. These P2P setups are getting sued by the major recording labels. I do not think Apple would want to entangle themselves in this sort of mess.

resImadA

What if we could browse, sample, and buy/download individual tracks from within iTunes?

I'd go for that if the price was right

Millennium
Addicted to MacNN

Highly unlikely. The RIAA would go berserk.

However, something perhaps a bit less far-fetched: built-in streaming to the local network. This seems like a likely use for the much-discussed Rendezvous support that Apple is building into iTunes. The idea would be to let you keep all your MP3's on a single machine, and seamlessly stream them out to the whole network. That seems very likely, for the release after next if not the one coming up.

diamondsw
Veteran Member

Learn to use question marks in your subject. As it is, I think you're deliberately misleading people to read your rather "ill thought out" question. make no mistake - there ARE stupid questions.

ryju
Veteran Member

Remember the iPod commercial? It said at the bottom "Don't Steal Music."
I don't think they would contradict themselves.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN

Whamb 1.1 lets you share playlists via Rendezous now. Works really well.

CheesePuff
Addicted to MacNN

When you buy a iPod there is a sticker you have to peel off the screen that says "Don't Steal Music" in many languages.

libraryguy

quote:
Originally posted by resImadA:
What if we could browse, sample, and buy/download individual tracks from within iTunes?

If they do allow music downloads via iTunes I think this is how they will do it. It's the only legal way really and plus it would be added revenue for Apple and the music industry. Hopefully if they do they will have a huge selection and fair prices. Honestly, I doubt it will happen at all.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

Jansar
Addicted to MacNN

As the Apple Santa said, Apple's gonna "get their ass handed to them" if that ever happens.

Subzero Diesel949
Addicted to MacNN

quote:
Originally posted by Millennium:
Highly unlikely. The RIAA would go berserk.

However, something perhaps a bit less far-fetched: built-in streaming to the local network. This seems like a likely use for the much-discussed Rendezvous support that Apple is building into iTunes. The idea would be to let you keep all your MP3's on a single machine, and seamlessly stream them out to the whole network. That seems very likely, for the release after next if not the one coming up.

Doubt it. The RIAA wants $$$ for any "air time" for the same reason they're after I-net radio.

Person Man
Veteran Member

quote:
make no mistake

That said, I think Apple has to release new, extreme versions of their iApps, or face an untimely death. While they develop their new hardware in an undisclosed, secret location, they must realize that now, more than ever, we need faster CPU chips.

Millennium
Addicted to MacNN

quote:
Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
Doubt it. The RIAA wants $$$ for any "air time" for the same reason they're after I-net radio.

True, but the RIAA would make all music pay-per-view (pay-per-listen?) if they thought they could.

Unfortunately for them, fair use does limit the amount of racketeering they can do. While it's true that they can require businesses to license music for internal broadcasts, they can't do that for home users who keep the broadcast within their own homes (thus, Rendezvous; tying the capability to Rendezvous would ensure that it can't get out to the Internet at large). Given Apple's recent attempts at becoming more consumer-friendly, this does have a shot. Or at least, it has more of a shot than an "MP3 Download" feature.

Tiffany Mac

Maybe Apple could work out a deal with a few major record companies. They supply the MP3's and we (the users) can pay for it. I don't mind paying a small fee.

This would be a great solution?

waffffffle
Addicted to MacNN

Yea this isn't going to happen.

However I really think iTunes needs to be more aware of other mp3 sources because right now its a pain to get your newly downloaded songs into iTunes (from Limewire, etc). I think it woudl be nice if there was some sort of way iTunes could watch a folder and as soon as mp3s are added to that folder it will import them to the library and move the file to the proper location (organized). Right now that doesn't work too well.

Millennium
Addicted to MacNN

quote:
Originally posted by waffffffle:
Yea this isn't going to happen.

However I really think iTunes needs to be more aware of other mp3 sources because right now its a pain to get your newly downloaded songs into iTunes (from Limewire, etc). I think it woudl be nice if there was some sort of way iTunes could watch a folder and as soon as mp3s are added to that folder it will import them to the library and move the file to the proper location (organized). Right now that doesn't work too well.

The thing is, currently the only legal way to get most MP3's is to rip them yourself (yes, it's legal to download them if the copyright holder has given permission for that, but that's still rather rare in this day and age). Apple's walking a pretty thin line with the RIAA at this point in time, and I don't think they would want to risk appearing to condone piracy. Never mind that this shouldn't even be possible (it being a presumption of guilt and all that) but who ever said the RIAA respected anyone's rights but their own?

C.J. Moof
Elite Member

An idea similar to this already in use is Audible.com. They don't do music, but spoken word, and the format isn't .mp3, but their own format. If you look at an audible file with a text editor, you'll see the user account name stamped in the beginning few lines. That's part of their content management system- the file is internally "personalized" and allowed to play on the account holder's iTunes and iPod only. It can be burned to an Audio CD, but not an MP3 disc- iTunes won't convert it to mp3 for you, and I've never seen another app that can either.

If Apple paired up with a record label who would agree to the same distrubition model, downloading from iTunes could be a reality. I can't see any major label agreeing to have their files downloadable without any digital rights management system.

On a side note, legally downloaded dozens of mp3 albums as a subscriber of emusic.com. Some of their encodings could sound better, but they're not unacceptable.

ENOUGH SAID! YOU hEARD IT HEAR FIRST

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 06:54 PM

feeling smug eh?

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 06:55 PM

I'm baking up a fresh batch of cookies for you as we speak.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 06:59 PM

Who cares? Whaddya want a pat on the back.
Who'sDaMac?

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 30, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
Who cares? Whaddya want a pat on the back.
I'm giving her a pat on the back...

...and you a kick in the nuts.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 07:06 PM

Nope. Never gonna happen. Apple will be in legal hell.

Oh, and did I mention NEVER?
I, ASIMO.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 07:07 PM

I'm still laughing...LOL LOL...see, I'm laughing still.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Tiffany Mac:
First, let me just say that many of you are so quick to dismiss other people's idea's and suggestions. This was one of mine.
What, you invented iTunes Music Store!?

.. For real?

MAY I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?!!!!?!???!!

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 30, 2003, 07:30 PM

I think said posters were talking about illegally downloading music. Not paying for it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2003, 07:47 PM

Exactly. You mention in the first sentence that you were using Limewire, and then you say "Hey wouldn't it be great if you could download music from within iTunes?" Call me crazy, but it sure sounds like you were talking about an illegal download thing, and that's what people were picking up on.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2003, 07:48 PM

Oh, and ha ha ha ha ha.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 08:18 PM

wow.

bitter much?

and yes, it did sound like you meant something like adding a p2p downloading option, not a proprietary thing.
cpac

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 08:23 PM

Make another prediction pretty please

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 08:24 PM

Hah, looks like you're owed about ten apologies.

I predicted rack-mounted servers back in Jan. 2002, and quite a few people here called me nuts, so I know how it feels.

Pass me a cookie when you've had your fill, huh?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 08:33 PM

Like some of the others said. My response was about P2P file sharing. I do not believe this new 99 cents per song thing from Apple falls into that category. From reading the list many of us were chiming in on what we thought were the likes of LimeWire and such. Sorry to disappoint you.

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 08:45 PM

We're not quite speaking on the same wavelength. "downloading MP3's" is not the same as "buying MP3." I took your post to mean the former, nothing to do with purchasing stuff. Having said that, they still did surprise me, so you do get credit for predicting this in the way you meant. Now don't get cocky.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
I'm baking up a fresh batch of cookies for you as we speak.
"I know, you don't believe in all this fate crap. You're in charge of your own destiny, remember?"

pliny
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Tiffany Mac:
First, let me just say that many of you are so quick to dismiss other people's idea's and suggestions. This was one of mine. Looks like SOME of you failed to have the insight and dreams that i had.
but it wasn't you, it was

resImadA

who said:

i look in your general direction

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito 2:

how old are you?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I'm still laughing...LOL LOL...see, I'm laughing still.

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 30, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
how old are you?
Fairly young. Does this have to do with me being too young and thus to short to kick someone in the nuts? I assure you I can headbutt too.

What about you? How old are you?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 11:08 PM

Wouldn't it be cool if Apple updated the iMac? :waits:
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
but it wasn't you, it was

resImadA

who said: What if we could browse, sample, and buy/download individual tracks from within iTunes? I'd go for that if the price was right

True true.... I think reslmadA is owed about a million bucks a year for that idea!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

webintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 11:30 PM

Whatever, dude. Way back in July I had a hunch. Not gloating, but I had a feeling the pieces were lining up.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=109242

Truepop
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 11:46 PM

Oh yeah I have been planning it since I was a fetus.

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 11:46 PM

SomeToast
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 01:12 AM

Then here's one of mine from December, 2001 saying I wouldn't purchase music in a compressed format, going for the CD instead.

To date, that prediction's come true too.

cowerd
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 01:42 AM

Does this have to do with me being too young and thus to short to kick someone in the nuts?
Actually I always had you figured as a biter.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito 2:

Okay but then I'm gonna make your mom kiss the boo-boo.
Who'sDaMac?

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 04:03 PM

People mocked the rumor sites too... and they were right too. (And they mock me for defending the rumor sites...)

SomeToast
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 04:57 PM

I didn't mock the rumor sites when they had artist's renditions of the revised iPod button layout.

I just prayed that they had gotten it wrong.

brachiator
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 01:16 AM

This whole thread topic reminds me of the old joke, "They told me that if I voted for Goldwater we'd end up sending half-a-million troops to Vietnam. Well, I voted for Goldwater, and they were right."

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 03:44 AM

Well now the joke is on you. The entire channel knew that �99 songs were on the way and we were just humoring you. We were all laughing and smoking crack in a special non-newbie forum.

So nyeh!

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 08:28 AM

So did you invent music-piracy or did you invent buying-music-on-the-net?

I don't understand why anyone should be laughing. That thread seems like a fairly typical discussion of a couple obvious trends. Its not like everyone didn't already know about p2p programs, music players, and online music stores. What am I missing?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 09:23 AM

this is a great place for arguments & attacks (oh & useful information) but dont expect too many apologies...

in october 2001 i came home & found the new macwarehouse catalog, showing new powerbooks, that were due the next day.

when i posted the info here i was called a liar, etc etc.

when i posted a scan, i was accused of photoshopping, etc.

next morning, it was all real. maybe 25 people attacked me that night, next day 2 apologies.

not bitter, not in the least. just telling the story. mine makes me laugh.
now, back to business:

my prediction:apple takes over macnn & BANS speculation, arguments, complaints, and the words "what i'd like to see..."

peace!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

mindwaves
May 2, 2003, 09:40 AM

Ok, since this really has nothing to do with iTunes itself, then off to the Lounge!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
Wouldn't it be cool if Apple updated the iMac? :waits:
It'll never happen. *diot.

Jk

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 10:08 AM

Who cares? I hear Apple is going out of business in the next six months or so anyways...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
True true.... I think reslmadA is owed about a million bucks a year for that idea!
Aha! Now we know why Adium 2 has been so delayed! Adam has been working on the iTunes Music store instead of Adium...Damn you Adam! Damn you!

euchomai
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 11:20 AM

Good call!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 11:27 AM

Are the cookies done yet? That kind of cookies are we having?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

sambeau
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Are the cookies done yet? That kind of cookies are we having?
Whichever ones are nice to eat after humble pie..

sambeau
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 12:16 PM

While I'm at. Any stock tips?

Forum Links
Forum Rules