Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Return of the Mohawk

Return of the Mohawk
BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 09:10 AM

I thought it died with the 1980s, but it looks like the mohawk has made a comeback.

While watching Headbanger's Ball last Saturday, I noticed that a lot of bands had one member with a mohawk haircut. (Why was it always only one member?)

Is this the start of a trend?

Fortunately, based on the current one mohawk per band rule, Scott Ian Rosenfeld of Anthrax can't regrow his mohawk mullet because Rob Caggiano, the band's new lead guitarist, currently has one - fortunately not in mullet form.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 09:19 AM

Yawn, this is sooo 2002!

i had myself a mohawk (well, actually it was a mohican - a mohawk being shaved up the back as well as the sides) about this time last year. I was just getting to a strange floppy kurt cobain look when yesterday i decided to get skinned - #1 all the way!

So yeah - mohawk, officially back out of fashion.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2003, 12:58 PM

the mohawk has always been right on the edge.

mostly adopted by people trying too hard to "look like a freak! like dude. check it out. i have a mohawk! look at meeeeeee"

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Dogma:
Yawn, this is sooo 2002!
More like 2000. I had one then and in the past year just about every guy with short hair does.

I think it looks great, problem is everyone has one.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
More like 2000. I had one then and in the past year just about every guy with short hair does.

I think it looks great, problem is everyone has one.
Try 1999, it was already OOC by then. I saw pictures of Fran Healey of Travis with a "faux-hawk" 4-5 years ago and that's when I decided it was done. Before that, it was the bay area punk revival of 1994. Truth is, it never really leaves, but every few years some retard makes it snicker-worthy again. It looks good, but if I see two yuppies with a faux-hawk in one day, it's enough to make me vomit.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 10:47 PM

Ha ha - you people obviously don't know your haircuts...

Let me enlighten you -

The 'Fran Healy' type faux-hawk is called a "Sharkfin" - frequently dyed blonde, and increasingly done at an angle now to garner more 'street' cred - whatever that means.

The 'David Beckham' type strip hawk - the one that's really short and shaved up the sides - was a real mohican - just shorter than is the norm.

The 'Trying really hard to be trendy' Mohawk, has all the trademarks of a Mohican, just without the (hard to manage without tonnes of hairspray) back section - is called a Mohawk, not a Mohican.

My Mohican was Pillarbox red, and if I was going out, twas duly spiked like a pro. Didn't keep it long though, as was trying to grow hair out - which is now moot, since my hair now resembles something that Grant Mitchell would consider 'de rigour' - without the receding hairline...and with a rather sexy evil goatee...and I wasn't in the SAS...and I look nothing like him...you get the picture.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

ambush
Banned
Jul 29, 2003, 11:51 PM

Mohawks are so cool. They're just sooo long to make.

MisterX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2003, 03:37 AM

mohawks are the greatest thing ever if you ask me. Everyone with a mohawk is either A. A punk or B. A Wanna be Punk (posser). When my hair was long i was thinking about getting a mohawk and dying it green. This was only about 5 months ago or get it straitened and dye it blonde like Kurt Cobains

Its Better To Burn Out than fade away

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2003, 08:48 AM

Heh. Our student body president in high school won the election in 1989 with the promise "If I'm elected, I'll get a mohawk."

At a conservative American international school, that worked wonders.

I thought it was terribly lame.

-s*

BasketofPuppies  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2003, 11:03 AM

Yeah, you're supposed to promise to shave your head.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 02:01 AM

WTF?!?!
I guess i'm guilty of the Fauxhawk...
My mom said to me today after watching the "big in 2003 awards"
"So thats why you wear your hair like that..."

WHAT?!
what the HELL is a Fauxhawk! and i guess I have one! i don't even brush myhair anymore, i just wake up and its like this! i'm not trendy! please god no! PLEASE NO!!!!!

jersey
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 11:01 AM

spend about 2 minutes in williamsburg, and youll see all the kids with indie rock hangovers sporting the always hip faux-hawk. drives me insane. that place is too trendy for its own good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules