Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > It's Sept. 22; your G5 Dual CTO order will...

View Poll Results: What do you think Apple will do?
Poll Options:
Actually ship, at the last possible minute. 14 votes (28.57%)
Wait till the last possible minute, then send an email telling us it will be another month. 19 votes (38.78%)
Let the date pass, with no email, no shipping, no information. 16 votes (32.65%)
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll
It's Sept. 22; your G5 Dual CTO order will...
MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 09:25 AM

I know of bunch of us have had our shipping date moved to Sept. 22. Well, here we are, and my CTO order is still open, so I thought it'd be fun (and distracting!) to check the optimism/pessimism level on the board.

JudiS217
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 09:41 AM

I had a OOB date of 9/22/03 and it actually shipped on 9/18. It seems many of those that still have "open" CTO orders have 250 GB drives.

According to Airborne.com my dual G5 (CTO due to added RAM) is "out for delivery" which means I'm getting nothing done at the moment since my backups are complete and I don't want to do anything else on this machine (a 4 year old G4/450).

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 11:40 AM

I didn't order larger hard drive, just more Memory. Not shipping as of yet. No date change either.

POWER MAC G5 2.0GHZDP CTO
Z07K
On or before
09/22/2003

Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
065-4227

1GB DDR400 (PC3200) - 2x512
065-4357

160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
065-4376

Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
065-4168

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
065-4449

None
065-4491

56k V.92 Internal Modem
065-4166

None
065-4142

None
065-1899

Apple Keyboard & Mouse
065-4161

Mac OS X
065-4160

Country Kit
065-4159

Open
Dual 2.0Ghz PM 23" Al Cinema Display
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

johnnylundy
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by MisterRogers:
I know of bunch of us have had our shipping date moved to Sept. 22. Well, here we are, and my CTO order is still open, so I thought it'd be fun (and distracting!) to check the optimism/pessimism level on the board.
Well, my dualie ordered 6/23 and set to ship 9/23 just completely disappeared off the Order Status Page.

Not shipped - just disappeared.

Anyone else seen this happen?
>>Johnny

freaktornado
Sep 22, 2003, 11:50 AM

My order isn't CTO, just standard, but the date is still 9/22/03 as of 9am Pacific.

Ordered 7/10
( Last edited by freaktornado; Sep 22, 2003 at 12:36 PM. )

intaglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 12:02 PM

Well, it is mid-day of the 22nd and no sign of any change on my order status and no shipping e-mail, so the prime-time for shipping is slipping away.

On the other hand, they didn't bump out the date in the middle of the night like they did last time, so that might be a good sign.

I vote for shipping at last possible minute.
it was the world's fastest computer when I ordered it!

dli537
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by johnnylundy:
Well, my dualie ordered 6/23 and set to ship 9/23 just completely disappeared off the Order Status Page.

Not shipped - just disappeared.

Anyone else seen this happen?
It disappeared because apple order status website only keeps the record for 90 days. If the order is more than 90 day old, apple just removed it from the website. You can still track your order using www.apple.com/orderstatus. My order disappeared as well, but I got the shipping email confirmation. Good luck.

daveofiveo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 12:34 PM

My ship date was today, but it got pushed back a week last Monday. I called Apple to complain and they said my order will be shipped "before the end of the month." The Apple rep also said my order was one of the earliest that he has seen so far (7/16 non edu), but from what I have read here, it sounds like there is a lot of people in line ahead of me.

Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz Z07K September
Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 065-4227
2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x1GB 065-4358
250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm 065-4286
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) 065-4168
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 065-4288
56k V.92 internal modem 065-4166
Bluetooth Module 065-4292
Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English 065-4161
Mac OS X - U.S. English 065-4160
Accessory kit 065-4159

im gonna be livid if it doesnt ship next week

Dave

intaglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by daveofiveo:
The Apple rep also said my order was one of the earliest that he has seen so far (7/16 non edu)
My order date was 7/6, so if mine ships today, we could say the dividing line between the "haves and have-nots" would fall somewhere between 7/6 and 7/16.

nrubenstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 01:25 PM

I have FINALLY had it! I ordered through CDW back on 6/23 a dual 2.0 G5. I remained calm through Apple giving shipping dates to CDW for the system of 8/29, 9/5, 9/15, and finally today, 9/22, which they claimed was "assured."

My CDW rep found out today that they are now quoting "mid-October," with NO explanation as to the continued delay.

Similarly, I needed a new small laptop for business conferences I will be attending in October. I stayed up all night to keep track of the Paris announcements and ordered the new 12" PowerBook that very morning, early. Again, Apple originally gave CDW a shipping date of 9/24, then 9/26, but today this was pushed back to 10/19, with NO explanation. As I cannot wait, I had to cancel.

It would appear to me that Apple is attempting to fill all of it's back orders and get computers into it's own stores prior to shipping any back-orders to any of it's legitimate dealers (CDW now being Apple's biggest domestic dealer) without any consideration as to when those orders were placed.

Apple can certainly do as it pleases in this regard, but I do not have to support such conduct.
Norman L. Rubenstein
[email protected]

freaktornado
Sep 22, 2003, 01:38 PM

mid-October
Wow, that's scary. If they say that to me, I'm going to seriously consider canceling my order (something I assumed I'd never do), and just wait until early next year when a speed-bump G5 comes out.

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by freaktornado:
Wow, that's scary. If they say that to me, I'm going to seriously consider canceling my order (something I assumed I'd never do), and just wait until early next year when a speed-bump G5 comes out.
Me too. They did this same thing with the 17" PB. I'm tired of this.
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 01:51 PM

You forgot to put a choice on the poll for "already received" . I'm not sure why my CTO (9800 + BT) which was ordered on 6/26 was sent out before some who had ordered a day or two before me. I ordered priority overnight and made sure I was really really nice to the the sales support people when ever I called to check on the status ( remember it's not their fault if things don't ship on time). I even got $125 off for the delay from the original 8/29.

-Jerry C.

MisterRogers  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 02:02 PM

Yea, probably should have put an option in for 'already received'; But I mainly wanted to get a feel for who else was hung out to dry waiting. I'm glad yours came Hydra - and all others who have been fortunate. It's hard to know how to feel about all this. Three months. That's a long time, but what's so much more difficult for me is HOW this goes down. This is the second time sitting on my ship date, with no machine, and no information so I can plan (business wise) accordingly. I truly don't get it. I know enough about manufacturing to know that most supply problems (even more now, in this zero inventory age) are know at least 48 hours in advance. At least! Some times I wonder if Apple really believes that we use their equipment in the real world; to support ourselves. Maybe we have too much fun with them, so they don't think have the gear we need in a timely fashion is critical. I don't know. Flame/Rambling off...

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 02:30 PM

Yea, probably should have put an option in for 'already received'; But I mainly wanted to get a feel for who else was hung out to dry waiting.
Yeah, I really am not gloating (I'm happy I got it mind you) but I know how tough it is to wait. I just hope everyone can get them as soon as possible. I'm just sort of confused why I got mine Friday as I thought it would only indicate a massive onslaught of reports of dual G5's shipping. I also am afraid that if there is a problem with the duals it might not be a bad thing to wait a little while longer and not risk getting a lemon in which case I may be screwed

Not a single problem to report here except I need to get a new UPS. My BACK-UPS PRO 500 goes into overload every-time I play a game or do a really CPU intensive task. After 5 minutes of playing Spearhead (which I can now finally play at full settings at high resolutions) it actually conked out and the G5 shut down. I'll try to start a topic about all my first impressions tonight when I get the time.

-Jerry C.

MisterRogers  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 02:37 PM

I know your not gloating Hydra - enjoy, but I do wish it me instead of you Please do keep the experience/info coming, as it looks like we'll need to keep living vicariously through you 'chosen' for for at least a couple more days. I got off the phone with Apple about 15 minutes ago, and I was told, again, that my machine as built, and just waiting to ship. too strange. I was told that last Thursday, so somethings up.

action
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 02:43 PM

just got off the phone with apple.

cto dual 2x 250 ati 9800 airport bluetooth

ordered via adc on or before 9/23 slipped from 9/2.

credit card has been charged.

apple rep advised i do have a build order number but no build confirmation number.

basically it's in line to get built but has not started building yet.

once it starts getting built0 it will get a build confirmation number.

apple rep advised it takes a minimum of three days after build confirmation number is received for the item to ship.

advised the earliest the computer can theoretically ship is thurs or fri.

he conceded they are pushing hard to get them out by the end of the month to apply the revenue on this fiscal year.

the 9/22-9/23 will be pushed back at a minimum 3 days.

sorry for the bad news.

chung lee

johnnylundy
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by dli537:
It disappeared because apple order status website only keeps the record for 90 days. If the order is more than 90 day old, apple just removed it from the website. You can still track your order using www.apple.com/orderstatus. My order disappeared as well, but I got the shipping email confirmation. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip on using the other URL! Saved me waiting on hold.

>>johnny
>>Johnny

freaktornado
Sep 22, 2003, 03:10 PM

I swear some of you are calling a different Apple webstore. When I call (twice now) I don't get any information at all beyond what's on the website. I even ask specific questions and all I get is "we don't know that information."

MisterRogers  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 03:14 PM

I've had that happen also freaktornado. Some agents seem to give little or no additional info. Others, seem to be able to give more 'in process' specifics. Not sure what's up with that.

action
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 03:40 PM

i call the adc apple webstore number which is different then the regular apple store line.

i know a little more jargon like build order number and build confirmation etc..

so i ask if there is a build order number for my order etc...

chung

macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 03:49 PM

I ordered a duel with a 9800 Graphics card and received shipment confirmation 9/20. Woohoo! However, the FedEx tracking number still only says, "package info transmitted to FedEx".

I ordered via ADC so maybe I got some sort of priority????

Anyway, should get here this week.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 04:47 PM

not a single one of my edu. inst. Dual G5 CTOs have shippe.d ordered keynote day asap. OOB 9/23. they better ship...
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 05:14 PM

Well, they just changed my date from 9/22 to 10/14 folks.
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by GeekyJeff:
Well, they just changed my date from 9/22 to 10/14 folks.
They are playing the date juggle again. Now, 5 minutes later, it's back to 9/22.
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

intaglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 05:28 PM

trying to piece together a likely scenario for this predicament:

1) It doesn't seem organized enough to be a conspiracy!

2) nobody can pin down a specific component shortage although limited availibility of all of the new parts in the aggregate may account for the anemic production output.

3) they must be sending them out as soon as the receive them from production (if they are sitting on units that are already built for some dumb marketing reason they are crazy).

4) they must have expected a big burst of production that didn't materialize and didn't stagger the ship dates enough to account for the current sporadic production. Now they have burned up the cushion created by the first schedule slip.

intaglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 05:39 PM

OK that does it---they just bumped me out to 10/14---they need to make some kind of high level public announcement as to what the problem is or there will be a new wave of "switchers" (skipping the first generation G5s and switching to the second).

ironicmark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 05:45 PM

Well, this must mean something: I just checked my bank and my credit card's been charged for the exact amount Apple wants for that G5! I swear, this is the longest I've waited for a new Mac since the IIsi.

For the record, my order was 6/23 @ 3pm, one of the first after the store started taking orders. Stock + 1G RAM + Airport card.

Let's hope it actually ships. I've been unemployed since 1 week after I ordered this, so I just know I'll find a job the day after I get it! Wish me luck . . .

MisterRogers  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 05:48 PM

Well. My Status just flipped to shipped. No tracking number yet (web or email), I I recon I made the cut this time around. I'll chime in again when I get shipping details. While it seems I made it this round, I'm still disturbed by the way this went down, and for all of you who lost out in this latest crap shoot.

MisterRogers  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 05:53 PM

Ok. Just got some email from Apple saying that due to 'Supply Delays', my shipping date has been bumpted to 10/14. Folks, please let me know what your website status looks like. Mine says Shipped, with not 'ship by' date, but my Dual description still says open. This is insane.

johnnylundy
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 05:54 PM

For the record, my order was 6/23 @ 3pm, one of the first after the store started taking orders. Stock + 1G RAM + Airport card.
[/B]
Ordered 06/23/2003
01:46 PM PST
160/9600/512 nothing special.

Order status still Open.

At least my 1.5 GB of Crucial memory arrived.
>>Johnny

redcalx
Sep 22, 2003, 06:00 PM

Someone on the apple discussion board posted his copy of this email you received.

Looks like more delays. I am really begening to hate apple.

Ok. Just got some email from Apple saying that due to 'Supply Delays', my shipping date has been bumpted to 10/14. Folks, please let me know what your website status looks like. Mine says Shipped, with not 'ship by' date, but my Dual description still says open. This is insane.

intaglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 06:04 PM

here is my e-mail

Dear Valued Apple Customer,

Thank you for placing your Apple Store Order xxxxxxxx

We need your response to continue processing your order.

Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship the following
item(s) by the last date you were quoted:

Z07K, POWER MAC G5 2.0GHZDP CTO
will now ship on or before 10/14/2003

If you prefer, you may change or cancel your order anytime before it
is shipped. If you cancel your order, you will receive a prompt
refund.

If we do not hear from you or we cannot ship your order by the revised
date above, we are required by federal law to cancel your order and
issue a prompt refund, and we will do so.

Please inform us of your intentions by choosing one of the following
options and replying by email to <[email protected]>:

My order number is ____________________.
__ YES. Please continue processing my order.
__ NO. Please cancel my order and issue a prompt refund.

Alternately, you may call us at 800-676-2775 ext-56500,
Mon-Fri 8am-9pm, Sat-Sun 9am-6pm (Central).

We encourage you to visit http://www.apple.com/orderstatus or
http://store.apple.com/ and click the "Your Account" button to view
the status of your order.

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this
delay has caused you. Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!

dli537
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 06:06 PM

ordered on 06/23/03 12:19 pm PST (19 min after the WWDC keynote)
Education CTO Dual 2G (Stock model minus modem)
Shipped on Saturday(09/20/03)

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by GeekyJeff:
They are playing the date juggle again. Now, 5 minutes later, it's back to 9/22.
Now it has settled again on 10/14. I got the email too. Yeah I voted correctly!
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

redcalx
Sep 22, 2003, 06:34 PM

This just blows my mind...

How can they expect anyone to take them seriously with **** like this going on?

I'm having my own problems with apple right now (although a different sort) but it's still annoying as hell.

Apple needs to grow up and act the like the company it wants to be.

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 06:42 PM

The more I think about this the more pissed I get. I went through this same S*** with the 17" PB. They really know how to treat loyal customers, NOT! Crap on the people that pre-order their products. That's real nice Steve.
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

twocoasttb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 06:46 PM

I got the email too. I called up the Apple number to say that I didn't want to cancel my order, but wanted free next-day-air shipping. Before I can tell them anything but my order number, the guy says my order is in fact shipping today, and I should get the tracking number in a couple of hours. Apparently the email is automatically generated when your shipping date arrives and no shipment has been made. So, I'd say there's still hope for some. I recommend calling the number.

BTW, I ordered my stock dual on 7/14.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 06:47 PM

My Edu. Inst. CTO seems to be holding at 9/23. I noticed that all the Dual G5s that shipped had the standard hard drive - could that be it?

What's sorta sad is, if my order is delayed, it will end up being a 3.5 month wait. Apple's product cycle for PowerMacs is every 7-9 months. I've waited this long, maybe I should cancel and just wait the add'l few months for the next revision. catch is, I ordered a bunch of G5s. If i cancel, that's a lot of educational sales down the drain. but it would send them a bit of a message, especially if I sent a letter along with it. erf.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

MisterRogers  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 06:49 PM

Well Gents, I got my shipping email/tracking number from Apple. I guess the 10/14 delay was auto-generate to all open orders, and mine hadn't been updated yet. Dudes, I'm sorry for all of you, and your pending wait. It was three months for me; and it blows my mind that some of you may be waiting 2-3 more weeks to get yours. Incredible.

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 06:54 PM

Well, freaky deaky, my date has changed back to 9/22. WTF is going on?
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

JudiS217
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 06:56 PM

Well Gents, I got my shipping email/tracking number from Apple. I guess the 10/14 delay was auto-generate to all open orders, and mine hadn't been updated yet. Dudes, I'm sorry for all of you, and your pending wait. It was three months for me; and it blows my mind that some of you may be waiting 2-3 more weeks to get yours. Incredible.
I ordered on 6/24 and got it today, 9/22.

It may not make anyone feel better, but let me just say...it's well worth the wait. :-)

freaktornado
Sep 22, 2003, 06:59 PM

Oct 14th for me too

intaglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 07:34 PM

flushed out the cache about fifty times and I am still back at 9/22

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by intaglio:
Same Here
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

platmm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 07:52 PM

For those playing the Dualie Home Game too....

Stock Dualie ordered 7/7
OOB From 8/29 to 9/29 to 9/22 to 10/14

Just called (appx. 27 minute wait on the phone, they picked up in 20) and they said my machine is boxed and awaiting pickup from the carrier. That's all I could get out of her.

They pulled the $$ from my credit card today (never did any authorization payments that I'm aware of).

No tracking number yet tho and order's still open. Maybe since it's a stock machine it's all or nothing, from open to shipped. We'll see

Steve

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 07:54 PM

It's Sept. 22; your G5 Dual CTO order will..

be falling off the back of a fedex truck and sold on ebay for $2000 by a guy from Ukraine.
Aloha

JPJohn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 09:18 PM

...and I just figured I'd sit back here and read all the "good stuff" you folks have to say knowing that my fairly standard order (1GB RAM and 250GB Drive) that was placed 6/23 at 11 PM would beat yours.

They did ship and bill the Cinema Display almost immediately but it's not really of too much value these last three months as my present video card wouldn't drive it.

Would I consider canceling my order? I doubt it. Every time I read something else from one of the chosen few that have received their's I have to wipe the drool off my chin.

intaglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 09:42 PM

hold the phone---this just in:

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

The new PowerMac G5 is shipping! Following is an update regarding your order.

Apple has been working round the clock to fill customer orders and is very
pleased to inform you that your order will ship within 3 to 5 days. Our
standard, systematic notification, which was sent earlier today, may have
indicated a longer lead time. Please disregard that notice and accept our
apologies for any confusion it may have caused.

Before we can continue to process your order, we need to hear from you. You
may change or cancel your order any time before it is shipped. If you choose
to cancel your order, Apple will issue a prompt refund. If we do not hear from
you or cannot ship your order within 3 to 5 days, Apple is required by federal
law to cancel your order and issue a refund. We are happy to answer questions
or provide further status regarding your order. You may reach us Monday
through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. central time, Saturday and Sunday
from 9:00 a.m. To 6:00 p.m. central time, or by email at
[email protected].

We appreciate your business and your patience. Thank you for shopping at the
Apple Store.

I just called in to confirm I wanted to proceed with the order.

===========================
S.P. Jobs says---another angel just earned their wings
( Last edited by intaglio; Sep 22, 2003 at 10:07 PM. )

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 10:02 PM

hold the phone---this just in:

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

The new PowerMac G5 is shipping! Following is an update regarding your order.

Apple has been working round the clock to fill customer orders and is very
pleased to inform you that your order will ship within 3 to 5 days. Our
standard, systematic notification, which was sent earlier today, may have
indicated a longer lead time. Please disregard that notice and accept our
apologies for any confusion it may have caused.

Before we can continue to process your order, we need to hear from you. You
may change or cancel your order any time before it is shipped. If you choose
to cancel your order, Apple will issue a prompt refund. If we do not hear from
you or cannot ship your order within 3 to 5 days, Apple is required by federal
law to cancel your order and issue a refund. We are happy to answer questions
or provide further status regarding your order. You may reach us Monday
through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. central time, Saturday and Sunday
from 9:00 a.m. To 6:00 p.m. central time, or by email at
[email protected].

We appreciate your business and your patience. Thank you for shopping at the
Apple Store.
I haven't gotten that one yet, but my oob went back to 10/14 again!
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

Forum Links
Forum Rules