Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > R.I.P In Motion

R.I.P In Motion
blackdog12345
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 12:34 AM

R.I.P in motion it will no longer be updated for the public people were REALLY nasty when i released it and i am just not going to update it for the public.
No longer posting

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 11, 2004, 01:07 AM

I don't think anyone's been rude or nasty.. Any claims that they disliked it was followed by creative criticism you could use to improve the the theme upon. If someone replied with "I f--king hate this s--t! Burn it!" etc etc, I could understand.

But nothing said was rude.

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 01:20 AM

hey blackdog12345,

i'm just learning about your theme for the first time after reading this post. i know the feeling of frustration that comes with creating something, only to have it criticized. i'm not sure how far the criticism went, so I can only offer this:

screw them. whoever they are. anonymous people in an anonymous world. i remember a time, waaaaay back when swiz released a version of his Be theme. This was before shape-shifter. in fact, it was before any theming application was available. themes were installed by running scary-ass scripts that went in and actually fiddled with system resources. a lot of learning and bravery went on back then. swiz released a slightly buggy version of Be and I laid into him. Sent him a nasty old email that was just filled with self-righteous indignation about "how could he be so irresponsible BLAH BLAH BLAH"

well. i was a jerk, but you know, swiz got pissed off for a bit, then let it go. he kept theming and well, you know the rest of the story.

my point: the web is a capricious place filled with people who have different perspectives, different experiences, different agendas and different thought-processes. inevitably wires get crossed. i'm really glad swiz kept on, and i hope you do too.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 01:42 AM

link to the "feedback"?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 01:50 AM

I like it, it just needs a little polishing. I don't see any reason to discontinue it.
click one

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by blackdog12345:
R.I.P in motion it will no longer be updated for the public people were REALLY nasty when i released it and i am just not going to update it for the public.
NOOOO!!!

It has great potential! http://www.macthemes.net/articles/reviews/000447.php
( Last edited by demograph68; Oct 11, 2004 at 02:19 AM. )

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 03:30 AM

if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
link to the "feedback"?
Read about it here
Many people were excited, and gave positive feedback. I know I was one of them, even provided a little preview. Please don't stop

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 06:35 AM

I think your theme has massive potential, right now it's good but not great, I think it could be great. Some of these people crit like tossers, but if you read in between the lines, there are some valid comments. As a designer, you constantly open yourself to criticism regardless of the quality of your work, you can take it on the chin or back down. If you want to progress and grow, take it on the chin.

There are some pretty destructive critics in these forums, and you need to learn how to ignore them. Some of them will have bad stuff to say to matter what you produce, because they're incapable, jealous, or because you don't have enough of a name to fawn over, laugh about it with people who matter, and move on.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 09:12 AM

I think you need to grow up. I don't know how old you are, but you better get used to people critiquing your work - and strong opinions about it. You're going to deal with it your entire life.

Furthermore, the theme is horrible. It's flat, boring, depressing and incomplete. This is of course just MY opinion, and if I were you, I would take it for what its worth and continue on. You have to remember that people weren't saying YOU suck, they were saying the THEME sucked. Everyone has their opinion, it's up to you to decide how to respond to them.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2004, 09:17 AM

i for one like In Motion quite a bit, and i think it would be a shame to quite working on it just because a select few people don't like it.

blackdog12345  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 10:36 AM

there were some very nasty comments on macthemes when it came out i am not going to work on something that no matter what i do to it every one is going to be nasty
No longer posting

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 10:40 AM

Well, that's too bad.
People feel they should give feedback and do it in a jackass way. If you can't take it then tough. It's too bad people cannot just be civil to each other.

BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 11:05 AM

Blackdog,

It is very common in these forums for people to hide behind their "identity" and say fairly nasty things. The funny thing is, if this was all face-to-face you would have a completely different outlook, because its a lot harder to be an asshole to your face. What I suggest, is you dont ask for feedback in a forum, you can post a link to your site, and let people email you directly. If you post a message on the forum, NEVER go back and read it, it will just piss you off even more.

As far as the theme goes, it sucks, and you suck. Ha, had to do it. Seriously though, never let these bozo's affect what you do, remember the statement of opinions are like assholes? its true. Keep up the creative work! And dont let pre-pubescent clowns get you down.

B

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2004, 11:07 AM

there were some very nasty comments on macthemes when it came out i am not going to work on something that no matter what i do to it every one is going to be nasty
Seems to me nasty comments only came up after your R.I.P.
Also, these comments are often rapidly sent without considering choice of words too much. So don't make too big a deal about it.

You might still try and get over it, really. In Motion has big potential : sober and non distracting doesn't necessarily mean flat and boring, black doesn't necessarily mean depressing, and incomplete can be worked on. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Kadgar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2004, 11:53 AM

I have to say that this is one of my favorite themes. Please keep working on it as it would be a shame to see it die. If people want to give crap criticism, they can be the ones to grow up.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 12:15 PM

So your taking your ball and going home? (But not before rubbing our faces in it with one last post in the OSX Cutomisations thread, eh?)

What are you, 12 years old? Some people on the forum offer some comments on your theme that you don't like and that's it, no theme for anyone. Grow up. Learn to take the rough with the smooth. Just because someone else doesn't like what you have done doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Stick with it, finish the theme and really show 'em that you don't need their comments to make a kick-ass theme.

PS: Nobody reply with anything negative to my post or I'll cry.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 11, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
I think you need to grow up. I don't know how old you are, but you better get used to people critiquing your work - and strong opinions about it. You're going to deal with it your entire life.

Furthermore, the theme is horrible. It's flat, boring, depressing and incomplete. This is of course just MY opinion, and if I were you, I would take it for what its worth and continue on. You have to remember that people weren't saying YOU suck, they were saying the THEME sucked. Everyone has their opinion, it's up to you to decide how to respond to them.
DITTO

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Komisar
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
I was waiting for you to post a comment like that, and i absolutely agree!

optimus_prime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2004, 01:28 PM

dayymn stand on your own. roll with the punches dont quit...

some enjoyed your theme, some didnt. i went to try it out cause i missed the original release and now the links down. so lets go ahead and punish everbody huh?

dont be so sensitive screw em if people hate, and the haters will hate.

but posting to say im not theming anymore is like calling somebody up to say " i just wanted you to know im not speaking to you anymore." - childish

too bad im a big fan of dark themes too.

blackdog12345  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by optimus_prime:
dayymn stand on your own. roll with the punches dont quit...

some enjoyed your theme, some didnt. i went to try it out cause i missed the original release and now the links down. so lets go ahead and punish everbody huh?

dont be so sensitive screw em if people hate, and the haters will hate.

but posting to say im not theming anymore is like calling somebody up to say " i just wanted you to know im not speaking to you anymore." - childish

too bad im a big fan of dark themes too.
ah i moved my web page thats why the link isn't there any more
No longer posting

penguinn
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 01:58 PM

just because people don't like it, you should continue making it for the people who DO appreciate it, since they deserve to get what they like, because they are the ones that weren't asses.
*DeXtop GUI

BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 02:06 PM

One thing to consider here, think about how many people HATE windows, or how many people HATE Apple. When ever you hit the masses you will get people that love it and people that hate it. It is part of product development. For every person that loves your work, you will find one that hates it.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 02:44 PM

You gotta build themes for YOU and worry about everyone else second. If they don't like your work, so what. Who cares. There is no possible way to please everyone. So the complainers are louder than the complimenters, that's life. It's gonna happen everywhere. You gotta learn to ignore the bad comments and work on the good.

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 04:15 PM

First off, I think that blackdog's immaturity is something that we shouldn't try to change; let him chill out on his own. Hopefully someday he'll learn to take criticizing a little bit better. I'm not defending the "harsh" comments in this situation which I haven't really followed anyway, but I'm noting, like others, that it's bound to happen; therefore, one should be able to handle it at least in a more dignified way.

That aside, I'd also like to say that I'm mostly willing to pick up the Motion-style theme design for the next version of my theme, Digital Device, but it definitely wouldn't be available for a while. The Dashboard look from Motion really felt like it'd fit into Digital Device well, not because it's a dark theme, but because it's minimalistic. I suppose it's kind of awkward to say, "oh, that sucks...I'll take over!" in this kind of situation, but I'm willing to polish the design that blackdog started.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 04:45 PM

Part of designing anything is getting some negative comments... You can't always win. You'll always get feedback though. Anyone who gave truly nasty remarks should get a life, since it's just a theme after all. You should take some of the constructive comments and put them to use in improving the theme.
click one

Atomic Rooster
Oct 11, 2004, 05:06 PM

Aren't you the bore and the reason kromex was never released.

Thanx

COBRAHQ
Oct 11, 2004, 07:06 PM

Good to see a harmonius and respectful theming community at work.

@_@

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
Aren't you the bore and the reason kromex was never released.

Thanx
Kromex wasn't released because the themer didn't want to release it I guess... I have no idea. I made a joke about Kromex looking like AlumiteX which were followed by and � I don't know how much more plain I could make it that I was kidding, which should have been obvious, because they don't look anything alike.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 07:33 PM

Kromex wasn't released because the themer didn't want to release it I guess... I have no idea. I made a joke about Kromex looking like AlumiteX which were followed by and � I don't know how much more plain I could make it that I was kidding, which should have been obvious, because they don't look anything alike.
Funny one too because every other theme gets compared to AlumiteX for some strange reason.
click one

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by COBRAHQ:
Amen
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 08:43 PM

What!? WHY?!

I actually liked In Motion! I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan of your other work ( because i don't like color themes, darkness is better . they were all great design, but I'm more a black and white kinda guy) But In Motion was an awesome theme! Sure there were a few tiny problems, but It had/has great potential. Don't stop because of a few assholes. Keep going! Sticks and stones...!

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by COBRAHQ:
What a bunch of freakin' cry babies

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by WICKEDfour:
First off, I think that blackdog's immaturity is something that we shouldn't try to change; let him chill out on his own. Hopefully someday he'll learn to take criticizing a little bit better. I'm not defending the "harsh" comments in this situation which I haven't really followed anyway, but I'm noting, like others, that it's bound to happen; therefore, one should be able to handle it at least in a more dignified way.

That aside, I'd also like to say that I'm mostly willing to pick up the Motion-style theme design for the next version of my theme, Digital Device, but it definitely wouldn't be available for a while. The Dashboard look from Motion really felt like it'd fit into Digital Device well, not because it's a dark theme, but because it's minimalistic. I suppose it's kind of awkward to say, "oh, that sucks...I'll take over!" in this kind of situation, but I'm willing to polish the design that blackdog started.
You conniving devil you...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Funny one too because every other theme gets compared to AlumiteX for some strange reason.
AlumiteX is the center of the universe, to which all things artful are to be compared to... didn't you get the memo?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 02:59 AM

AlumiteX is the center of the universe, to which all things artful are to be compared to... didn't you get the memo?
It was one of the first good non-aqua OS X themes... that much is true.
click one

number_six
Oct 12, 2004, 05:22 AM

Of course, it's your decision, but you have to know that even if there were rude comments,some people are happy when a new theme is coming. As I said in MacThemes comments, In Motion has a great potential, ...

Life is hard, people are sometimes rude, but an artist has to ignore every comments, it's your creation, it's your baby. If you think it can be grown, so go on, if you think it's mature enough, well let it fly with hese proper hands (well, french expression, i don't know if it can be translated..). Think about if people discouraged Caravaggio to make beautiful paintings when he was 14 years old, ....

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2004, 05:55 AM

It's your decision, but I'm wondering if you truly want to pull your theme. If so, why post a thread on it?
The fact is that no one is ever going to create a theme that everyone loves, or even likes.
Look at Penguinn, if he doesn't mind my using him as an example. A few themes were a bit rough on the edges and people said so, some in a very harsh way as people often tend to do when posting online.
Instead of caving in, Androo took the criticism in stride and with a large grain of salt. Some of his responses were: So what? I'm making this theme for me, if you like it or not.
But he did take some of the constructive criticism and worked on some of the areas that needed working on. And now, his stuff has a much more polished look and he's continuing to improve with each and every theme.
And now, while a couple of brickbats are tossed his way here and there, he's getting many more bouquets as people are starting to really get turned on by his stuff, even the ones that may not appeal to that many people.
That's a very good way to approach it. If you are getting paid, nothing matters as long as the client is happy, even if you aren't.
If you're not doing it for $$$, then do it to make yourself happy. If others enjoy your work, all the better. If they don't, take what lessons you can to improve your works and offer a large bowl of FU to the rest.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 06:02 AM

anyone noticed how much the new rolls royce looks like alumiteX? it's uncanny...

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by cube3:
anyone noticed how much the new rolls royce looks like alumiteX? it's uncanny...
its one big conspiracy!

Komisar
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
its one big conspiracy!
Shh.... they are watching us!

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 05:02 PM

Speaking of conspiracy... anyone hear anything new about when Omega will be released?

blackdog12345  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 12:01 AM

I am going to keep updateing in motion how ever i will not be posting it any where but my web page for the people who like it
No longer posting

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by cube3:
Got any photos?

Speaking of conspiracy... anyone hear anything new about when Omega will be released?
Same old story, as soon as SS has the features needed... v2.0 = 1.3 so it's not the big "1.5" everyone is waiting for.
click one

loren s
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 02:35 PM

I am going to keep updateing in motion how ever i will not be posting it any where but my web page for the people who like it
And what is your website ? I like the theme alot, it just needs more tweaking. Like options to make windows transparent more. Or a compleate finder window change to flow like the dash board but that kind of thing is under apples control only.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by loren s:
And what is your website ? I like the theme alot, it just needs more tweaking. Like options to make windows transparent more. Or a compleate finder window change to flow like the dash board but that kind of thing is under apples control only.
http://entertheblackdog.ambitiouslemon.com/

I get blank from the one listed in his profile.

Forum Links
Forum Rules