Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Noob

Apple Noob
zsl27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2005, 02:47 PM

Hi, i recently got a G3 ibook a1005 from my friend, before now ive always used Windows (PC). But uhm well anyway, i know nuthing about appple computers. So here are a few questions.

1. I got the Ibook for free so it didnt come with the VGA adaptor, so where can i buy one? (possibly a link, please)
2. I have dual USB ports on the side of it, do i use that for external USB mouse/keyboard?
3. Is it possible at all to install windows on a ibook? or even Linux?
4. I recently tried downloading WinMX file sharing program onto it, however, when i try to open it the ibook recognizes it as a document? Why/ how can i fix that?

please help me, im sure to have plenty more questions coming

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2005, 02:59 PM

1. Apple.com is easiest, but might not be quickest. Try a local Apple dealer.

2. Sure.

3. Theoretically you could install Windows in Virtual PC, but it'll be slow (don't even think about gaming if that's what you're after).

Linux for PowerPC is available.

4. WinMX is a Windows app, isn't it? That will not run on Mac OS.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 09:32 PM

You seem to know nothing about macs and if you are not wishing to really get to know macs then you might as well sell it. It could fetch about 500.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by zsl27:

3. Is it possible at all to install windows on a ibook?
Better yet, you could just beat the iBook against the ground until it shattered. At least that would be a relatively quick and painless death.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

zsl27  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 05:27 PM

why the attitude? im eager to learn about Mac OS and i am open to learning new things always. I definitly want this ibook, and i was just asking so basic questions. Sorry if i offended you

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 06:42 PM

If you're eager to learn about Mac OS, why did you ask if it ran Windows?

dt_
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by EmmEff:
If you're eager to learn about Mac OS, why did you ask if it ran Windows?
Owned.

Anyways you could run Linux on a Mac but there doesn't seem to be THAT much of a point... heh....
Dell Dimension 4550
Apple iPod (4th gen, 20 GB)

Apple iBook G4 | 1.2 GHz | Combo | 30 GB | 768 MB | Airport Extreme | Mac OS X 10.3

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 08:04 PM

You have to get mac software, it can't run windows or windows software. You can install powerpc linux. The usb ports are for whatever usb devices you want. You can buy one at almost any apple authorized reseller, but since you asked for a link you can go to apples online store and get one of these.
Apple VGA Display Adapter I can't post a link because the apple store links time out.

far200
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 03:30 AM

Just keep reading the forms and asking questions and you'll catch on to the mac fast.

Ok as for some of you questions,

1) the apple site or apple retailer will have your VGA adaptor.

2) The usb port is the same as on an pc.

3) for you your windows well you can buy virtual PC and then run windows xp and most windows apps. from there. Games don't work very well if at all. linix will work on your mac.

4) I use limewire for P2P download it and see if you like it or not.

As for some people on these forms, they don't like when people want to use windows.....It's mac or nothing...LoL....

But I have to say that I find the mac OS to be way better than anything MS has put out...

So just work at it and you'll soon see why people love there Mac's.

hope this helps.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2005, 09:27 AM

Macs are DIFFERENT. Very different from Windows machines. They have different processors, run a COMPLETELY different operating system (there is NO version of Windows that will run natively on a Mac), and thus have their own application software. Remember the ad-"Think Different"-that's Macs in a nutshell.

There are many filesharing programs for Macs-there is bound to be one that interfaces with WinMX. If you're interested, go to the WinMX web site and poke around for a Mac client. What probably happened was you downloaded the Windows version of the software. Mac OS doesn't see that as a program (see my first paragraph), so it assumes it's some sort of document.

USB is USB. The ports on an iBook are useful for absolutely anything you can use USB for. If you like an external keyboard and mouse, fine, they'll work here. I kind of like the iBook's keyboard myself, but I do use an external mouse.

Do a little more reading on Macs-here and everywhere-and you'll find that they're more than just another computer.

(Where did you get an iBook for free? Are there more?!?)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 09:31 AM

If you have the money, you could always get Virtual PC but it can be slow. Better to try and find a Mac alternative.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 01:48 PM

You'll need Mac specific software for your iBook, not Windows software. Try searching these sites for the sorts of software you're after:

www.macupdate.com

http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso

When in the Finder, go to the 'Help' menu at the top of the screen and choose 'Mac Help' - here you can find answers to all of your basic questions, and more.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 05:33 PM

Linux on an iBook is kind of pointless, since OS X supports many Linux programs. But if you are a Linux addict and find OS X really slow then you might want to try it. I would recommend Debian PPC.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 08:39 PM

The unfortunate part about running Linux on the iBook would be the lack of support for the built-in wireless (and the modem to a lesser extent)

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2005, 10:09 PM

In fact, OS X is based on Free BSD (or was it Open BSD, I forget...), another "Unix-like" OS. There's a huge amount of support for OS X software that is either already ported from other *nix OSs, or can easily be ported. And then there's the fact that the OS is directly supported by Apple, so if and when you do run into some sort of compatibility issue, they'll help you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules