Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook battery replacement

ibook battery replacement
Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 10:38 AM

Not sure if you guys saw this https://depot.info.apple.com/battery...x.html?lang=en but there is a recall on the 12in batteries. My ibook is 6months old so I suspect that I'm eligible. I'm quite happy with the performance of my battery currently, what I'm wondering is will this new battery be better or worse or the same. Is anyone else doing this, opinions?
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2005, 10:45 AM

My iBook battery was replaced under warranty time ago, but then again that new replacement battery failed after 3 months (by then out of warranty). Afterwards I bought a new battery.. I will check them both.. I might get lucky and change both for new ones.

regards

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2005, 11:03 AM

Apple Uk have put it up too now.
Should be getting my battery in 3-5 business days

Sean
( Last edited by seanc; May 20, 2005 at 12:44 PM. Reason: info changed/added)

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 20, 2005, 01:03 PM

How long is this exchange program running for? One might be tempted to use the old battery as long as possible and have it replaced then. On the other hand, having your ibook burst into flames is something I'd rather not want.
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2005, 01:09 PM

I'm not sure how long it is running for, but I would definately remove the battery and run on ac for now. Batteries are explsive things. What would you rather risk: a) 3-5 business days without portability b) a serious explosion, all of your data lost, a hole in your desk and having to pay for a new Ibook?

I've gone with A.

If Apple had never put this out i'd still be quite happy using my battery, but maybe angry when my Ibook blew up in my face.

The only problem I have now is that the Ibook is a bit lop-sided.

Sean

historylme
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 01:17 PM

I don't know how I feel, glad that I miss the number by one digit (for the recal) and that my baby is safe or sad that I wont get a new battery.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 01:29 PM

Let's be realistic here.
Derived from that report, there is something like a 0,000016 % chance of that happening to you (2 cases out of 128000 units in the US) - ever. So, it could eventually happen today or in years, but I don't expect it to. Despite its shortcomings, there still is something to probability.
The risk of an earthquake or your house caving in or whatever is probably higher.

That said, I'll have it eventually replaced, but I'll see when.
Plus, should it damage my iBook (or other stuff), Apple is still liable for it and I am under warranty anyway (2 yrs over here).

On a sidenote, you don't have to be immobile for 3-5 days, you get the new battery before you send off the old one.

So, happy battery burning everyone. Once it's lit, you could sit around it in a circle, eat marshmallows and sing some camp fire style songs

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ambassadeur
So, happy battery burning everyone. Once it's lit, you could sit around it in a circle, eat marshmallows and sing some camp fire style songs
No, no. You have to send the old battery back to Apple, silly.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
May 20, 2005, 01:42 PM

Anyhow, I have an iBook G4 1ghz I got in october of last year and mine isnt covered... it starts with a Z

What models do people have that came with a qualifying pack?
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
No, no. You have to send the old battery back to Apple, silly.
Damn!! You should have told me 5 mins ago!!!
Since it's crackling along nicely already, how the hell do I extinguish that party fire thingy now...!? That first couple of wieners is nearly ready though...

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by sine -''-..-
Anyhow, I have an iBook G4 1ghz I got in october of last year and mine isnt covered... it starts with a Z

I have a 1.2 ibook G4 12" that I ordered end of october 2004 and it has a battery model number starting with HQ444..., so it's rather at the beginning of the affected range.

(How could this happen, by the way? Some lazy guys over at LG, leaving the machine running awry for weeks and months while playing cards? Or did they underpay the engineer designing the part? )

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ambassadeur
Damn!! You should have told me 5 mins ago!!!
Since it's crackling along nicely already, how the hell do I extinguish that party fire thingy now...!? That first couple of wieners is nearly ready though...
ROTFL.

Originally Posted by sine
Mine's an M9623LL/A that I got from Apple via PowerMax in January 2005. It's the latest model. Just transmitted my form on the Apple website for a replacement battery and got a confirmation, so it's on its way.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2005, 02:30 PM

Unless you are still using the old battery you will be immobile for 3-5 days until the new one arrives.

Apple would be liable, but they could probably get around it by saying that they did warn us etc.

I got my 12" 1.2ghz Ibook at the end Dec 2004. My battery begins with HQ442 even closer than yours.

I would think that the risk pf us having an earthquake in the UK is less. We have very very very small ones, and they're years apart.

Sean

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2005, 03:23 PM

You can run an iBook on AC without having the battery installed? That's news to me!

Since I mainly use my iBook at a desk, would it be better if I disconnected the battery most of the time?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2005, 03:27 PM

You can run it just on ac (I am right now). They do it in some stores (probably to stop people running off with the batteries), Apple even says so in the document they've just published.

To disconnecting the battery, unless it's been recalled, then keep it in. Just unplug the ac occasionally to let it drain and then recharge.
The down side to having no battery is that you lose a rubber foot and the Ibook now wobbles -very annoying!

Why wouldn't you be able to run it off ac? It's just supplying the power instead of the battery.

Sean

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2005, 05:34 PM

It never occurred to me to run it on AC without the battery... But your point about the missing foot is a good one.

segaslave
Forum Regular
May 21, 2005, 01:46 AM

i have a 12" 1gz ibook my batt starts with hq428, which would be right before the problem. sucks no batt for me ; \
:rolleyes:

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 06:25 PM

mine is a 12" 1.2ghz, bought in feb 05 - looks like i'll be getting a new battery (although the form on the apple web page to fill in your details didn't seem to be working too well for me, so i might have to try that again if i don't hear back from them...)

on a related note, is this the way apple usually 'advises' us of recalls? god knows if i hadn't been bored enough to open this thread which didn't look at all relevant to me, then i would never have known about this. apple knows that i bought an ibook in the affected range, and apple has my email address.

sminch

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by sminch
on a related note, is this the way apple usually 'advises' us of recalls? god knows if i hadn't been bored enough to open this thread which didn't look at all relevant to me, then i would never have known about this. apple knows that i bought an ibook in the affected range, and apple has my email address.
Somewhere it was noted that Apple would contact affected customers who have registered their product. So you might still get an information from apple telling you about the recall.

Plus, it's on their website (on the first page), like all the other recall information usually is.

Nevertheless, good you were bored enough to open this thread

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2005, 07:04 PM

Yeah I agree, Apple should find a better way of teling us about these recalls. Unless macnn had put it on their front page I never would have noticed.
The Apple page requires me to scroll down for me to see the small text that says they have recalled the batteries, so I would probably still be using my battery right now - not that i'm too worried about it. I think my leg would get uncomfortabely hot before my trousers and battery caught fire.

Something apple should provide is a blanking plate for the battery compartment so that you don't lose the extra foot when not using the battery. It's not hard to manufacture. I hate having a wobbly Ibook.

I'm a bit annoyed about having to be connected to the power supply for 3-5 days, but at least I get a brand spanking new battery free of charge!

Sean

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 07:46 PM

The form at Apple didn't work for me, even though my battery is among those being recalled. I called the AppleCare support number this morning and a new battery will be here within a week. I would recommend calling Apple instead of using the online form.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
Something apple should provide is a blanking plate for the battery compartment so that you don't lose the extra foot when not using the battery. It's not hard to manufacture. I hate having a wobbly Ibook.

I'm a bit annoyed about having to be connected to the power supply for 3-5 days, but at least I get a brand spanking new battery free of charge!
Sure, the blanking plate really is something needed. Like a fake tire to put on your car while changing the tires. Come on Sean, the battery is an essential PART of the ibook. It's rather normal that it's not complete without it.

And I don't know how many people sit around with the battery taken out while waiting for the replacement. Probably same percentage as people who don't touch their car anymore after a recall for inspection of some part and have it transported to the garage by a towing truck.
Take the plunge and risk using the battery for 3 more days while waiting for that replacement. It's a thrill!

No offense intended!

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 10:18 AM

I bought my iBook in October right after the refresh and my battery isn't covered under the replacement program. My serial number starts with HQ440 so it's before the defective ones. Funny thing is, I went to the website and entered in my battery serial number. It said it wasn't validated but then when I changed the HQ440 part to HQ441 (and left everything else the same) it said it was validated and I could receive a replacement. I decided it wasn't such a good idea to do so because when Apple got my battery they could get suspicious.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2005, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
Funny thing is, I went to the website and entered in my battery serial number. It said it wasn't validated but then when I changed the HQ440 part to HQ441 (and left everything else the same) it said it was validated and I could receive a replacement. I decided it wasn't such a good idea to do so because when Apple got my battery they could get suspicious.
Yeah, you could end up having to pay for the replacement and not getting back your old one - worst case scenario. Now that would be some pain in the a..

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 10:02 PM

Both my batteries are fine. One almost hit the range of batteries.

dagmar
Forum Regular
May 23, 2005, 06:14 PM

I filled out the form on Friday, the 20th...I had received an email announcement from Apple about the recall on my Feb. 04 ibook battery. Had no trouble filling it and submitting it with Firefox (OS 10.4.1). The replacement battery was at my door when I got home this afternoon, with all the instructions and a FedX lable to send back the old one

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 06:37 PM

Only trouble I had was transcribing the numbers properly. Also, I stumbled on the part where my city and zip code didn't match up (even though they did) --- as it turned out, I needed to indicate my county for that to validate (which is odd and should be fixed). Anyway, my battery arrived today and all appears to be well.

Partisan01  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 07:06 PM

I filled out the form and my battery is on the way. I'm wondering now how long do we have to send the battery back? If there is no definite time frame I might be inclined to keep using my battery for a little while and have two....
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 10:14 AM

Uh-oh. I just put in the new battery, fully charged it, and now I'm suddenly getting freezes. My system locks up. Hmmmm. I'm not sending my old battery back if when I put it in instead of the new one those freezes disappear.

Great. Just great.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2005, 11:07 AM

I've yet to receive any e-mails or information from Apple.
Has anyone else in the UK received their batteries or any e-mails?
I think I registered on the 20th.

dagmar
Forum Regular
May 24, 2005, 12:32 PM

New battery installed and charged, now going to do the deep discharge and recharge conditioning. So, I've not had any freezes, all seems just fine.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 04:15 PM

seanc - i'm in new zealand so ymmv, but i have yet to hear from anyone either. if i don't hear anything in a few days i'm wondering whether i should try contacting apple nz direct...

has anyone outside of the us heard back from apple or been sent a replacement battery yet?

sminch

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 05:31 PM

I called Apple on Saturday and the battery was on my doorstep before noon on Monday. It has been working just like th old battery.

One small gripe: Apple won't allow FedEx to pick-up at residences, only businesses, which means I will have to find a drop-off location in order to return the old battery.

kalcim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by sminch
seanc - i'm in new zealand so ymmv, but i have yet to hear from anyone either. if i don't hear anything in a few days i'm wondering whether i should try contacting apple nz direct...

has anyone outside of the us heard back from apple or been sent a replacement battery yet?

sminch
I received a very generic looking e-mail a few minutes after I filled the form in. No battery yet, but it's coming I suppose. It said three to five days, but I am guessing it was just the same regardless of location. We shall see how long it actually takes.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 05:39 AM

sweet - just tried filling out the form again and got an email reply straight afterwards. guess safari ate it last time, or somefing...

sminch

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Partisan01
I filled out the form and my battery is on the way. I'm wondering now how long do we have to send the battery back? If there is no definite time frame I might be inclined to keep using my battery for a little while and have two....
I got my replacement battery 2 days ago, and though I don't have the included documents with me, I specifically recall reading some bit about being charged around $170 or so if Apple doesn't receive my old battery.

Just an FYI to you and others who may be thinking of keeping the old battery.

crazeinc
Jun 4, 2005, 05:59 PM

So is there a deadline for this? I'd rather wait to replace it after my current one starts losing its charge. (My battery is in the range)

Forum Links
Forum Rules