Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 5)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 10:39 AM

Hmmm..... thats not good news at all for Nintendo. Iwata admits that launching the GC a whole year later than Sony was bad, and now theyre gonna leave the dorr open for M$ ? To me thats definately a bad strategy. If anything the aught to be launching end of this year and by spring 06 it should be shipping globally. To be honest, i think it's apparent that theyre a lot further behind than M$ or Sony, what with no tech demos or third part demos at E3. Not good for Ninty.

Having said that...i actually had a conversation about it today.... personally, i think the current gen hardware is just now being exploited by software....for example second gen games on GC like RE4, MPE, LOZ, etc...they honestly do look spectacular. And i think developers have just managed to harness all the power in these boxes. it would be a shame for them to start the cycle again of learning a new platform. i think we can expect to see some really good games on all current gen platforms coming out this year ahead. Thats what im hoping for anyway.

Cheers.

meelk
Baninated
May 28, 2005, 11:20 AM

I dont believe Nintendo is behind at all. They simply decided not to show games because showing them would give away part of what makes the revolution special.

Link
Professional Poster
May 28, 2005, 03:30 PM

I have a feeling all these crazy hardware setups are going to make it damn near impossible for anyone but software engineers to program for. After all, with 3 core, and 7 core designs, yeah.. that aint gonna be pretty, especially with all the tiny optimizations.

Shoot, only like half the games at the PS3 reveal were even rendered in real time, given that wasn't a heck of a lot you can already imagine how big a pain in the butt it is to make such things. Sony had said they could render Toy Story live (something that Pixar couldn't do themselves), so we can happily take this with a bucket of salt.
Aloha

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Link
I have a feeling all these crazy hardware setups are going to make it damn near impossible for anyone but software engineers to program for. After all, with 3 core, and 7 core designs, yeah.. that aint gonna be pretty, especially with all the tiny optimizations.
So how would a 'virtual console' aim to solve that hurdle ? .... i see great protential for developers with dev kits for N64 or GC. Imagine....a developer writing a GC game on a NRS 12cm disc (since ppl were complaining about storage space). or developers continue writing GC games (which can obviously be played on revolution as well)....i think thast what Iawata meant by 'dev kits are already out there'. And then the developers (like Nintendo) who want to invest the effort into making epic games utilizing the NRS's hardware can do so as well.

I strongly suspect that we will see an iTMS-like store for all Nintendo games from NES-N64. I wonder... i wonder will a single SD card be enough ? if i remember correctly....i remember Iawata mentioning something about a DRM for the downloadable content....

hmmm.....
will the NRS be region free ? i sure as hell hope so. i got a Region-1 Cube here in Australia, and it's been hell trying to get games....having to order them off Amazon n all (which is actually cheaper than actually buying the game here in Oz anyway !)

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2005, 01:19 PM

Interesting article today:

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/...manifesto.html

"Two, as developers have lamented, the guts of the new consoles are geared to make the gaming equivalent of dumb blondes. It has to do with the fact that both the XBox 360 and the PS3's Cell CPU use "in-order" processing, which, to greatly simplify, means they've intentionally crippled the ability to make clever A.I. and dynamic, unpredictable, wide-open games in favor of beautiful water reflections and explosion debris that flies through the air prettily. "
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2005, 04:02 AM

Here's some interesting info on the revolution. it' sspeculation on a Japaneses guy's blog. But he seems to have some interesting info (warning: his english skills arent very good...but it's been than my Japaneeses )

http://onlynintendorevolution.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 01:05 AM

I think this just totally talked me out of the system. In 3 years many many people will have a high rez tv.

NO HD SUPPORT IN THE REVOLUTION!

""Nintendo doesn't plan for the system to be HD compatible as with that comes a higher price for both the consumer and also the developer creating the game. "

http://cube.ign.com/articles/624/624200p2.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I think this just totally talked me out of the system. In 3 years many many people will have a high rez tv.

""Nintendo doesn't plan for the system to be HD compatible as with that comes a higher price for both the consumer and also the developer creating the game. "

For once i agree with you. Although i dont have an HD capable display, chances are 5 years from now ill have one. I, wont rule the system out yet though....there's a lot we dont know about it....ill wait till all the hype has subsided and we actually start seeing games (as opposed to glorified CG and theoretical specification)

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 03:01 AM

i think you were "totally talked out of the system" ages before you found out there's no HD support

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 08:38 AM

If true, lack of HD support would be a real shot against "revolution"
Genius. You know who.

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Jun 11, 2005, 10:17 AM

No HD support, That means if EA makes another Rouge Agent, i won't be able to see it in HD!!
You see guys, HD makes for better games, it really does, Imagine how great Rouge Agent or even Acclaim's Turok would have been if they had just been in HD... that is what was lacking, HD, nothing to do with game play or even fun, just HD...

Sigh,
Guess the revolution just won't be for me..

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 11:32 AM

Nintendo Revolution will not be HD televised

Unless you've been asleep for months, you know that both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 will support HD. In fact, Microsoft is making 720p the default developer resolution, and Sony's PS3 can supposedly power 2 HD TVs. By all accounts, HD is blossoming, and HD TV sales are expected to climb aggressively over the next year or so.

So go ahead and try to explain to me why it is that Nintendo has no plans to support HDTV with their upcoming revolution console?

"There currently are no plans for Nintendo Revolution to support high-definition video output," said Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs.

I'm sure some Nintendo apologist will tell me that you don't need HD to have a good game, and that's true. But this is just bad business sense. HDTV penetration in the States is somewhere near 10%, but that's quickly expected to rise. Prospective buyers do consider the specs, and even if they don't have an HDTV, they probably see one in their future. Lack of HD is just one compelling feature scratched off the list for fence-sitters and anyone who who wasn't going to buy the Revolution by default.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum.../2005/6/14/509

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 01:30 PM

Huh hu huhuh uh, penetration.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jun 16, 2005, 04:31 PM

While the lack of HD support in Revolution is dissapointing, I doubt it will have much of an impact on Revolution sales. The guy who has all the latest in technology will lose out, but I highly doubt children will really shed a tear.

I am personally at least 5 years away from purchasing an HD TV myself, so it's not really a deal breaker for me. Nintendo should remain competitive and should have implemented HD support, but they didn't and there is nothing we can say or do that will change this. Nintendo has a history of being stubborn and doing things their own way, and some could argue that this has hurt them more than anything.

The question should be: Is Nintendo content being in third place? They will continue to grab and lure the younger demographic. This is their game field.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2005, 10:46 PM

As someone who does have access to an HDTV, as well as a Nintendo fan, I will say that I was depressed with that announcement. As far as I know, though, it's still on the table.

I especially find this fishy - take a look at this screenshot from LoZ - Twilight Princess. That's not 480p. That's about 64 pixels (width) away from being 720p. If some GameCube system can output that (I'm guessing it's a development system, but hey, I know nothing), and Revolution is supposed to be at very least 3 times as powerful, why shouldn't Nintendo support 720p or even 1080p? It would seem to me that only outputting 480p would cripple the hardware.

I threw an email Nintendo's way about this silly subject, so if you were inclined, you could read it in full. The reader's digest verison of it is the above, as well as the fact that Nintendo shouldn't skimp on features just because Sony and Microsoft aren't "competition" anymore. *Sigh* I guess I'm hoping that Nintendo does support HD, but either way, they better show me one hell of a controller.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
I am personally at least 5 years away from purchasing an HD TV myself, so it's not really a deal breaker for me.Noah
I got $10 that says you get one in under 3.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 12:29 AM

I got $10 that says you get one in under 3.
I second that bet.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 02:41 AM

SHS,
while i personally dont like the fact that the NRS wont support HD....you seem to think it'll doom Nintendo.

What percentage of console owners/consumers own HD displays today ? does it justify raising the prices of the console to support that fraction ? what evidence is there that HD displays will 'suddenly take off' in the next 10 years ?

From my own observation....plasma TVs, HD TVs, HD content(satelite feeds,etc), etc have been available for quite some time now. Prices of HD displays are STILL prohibitive for mass market penetration, and nothing seems to suggest they will fall....no new manufacturing process, whathaveyou.

Remember now, Nintendo didnt support internet play for the Cube. Apart from the niche that are the technophiles and geeks, who else actually saw that as a weekness ?....better yet. what percentage of PS2 and XBox owners actually use the internet functionality on their consoles ? Broadband just wasnt as widespread 5 years ago as it is today. Therefore this coming generation better be online capable out of the box. The market penetration of broadband makes it a viable feasible investment for both Nintendo and it's consumers. (and surprisingly...theyre doing the online gaming for free, which is a lot more than can be said of XBox Next).

Anyway..... IF HD sees as good a growth as broadband did the last 5 years....it would make it viable instead of charging for a feature a mere fraction of the consumers (niche of technophiles) will actually use.

The problem i see with not supporting HD is with the developers..... Developers would have to tone down the graphics of the games for the NRS. Not too hard...but why put in the effort when, consumers with more than one console will definately pick up a HD-capable version as opposed to a non-HD-capable version....that will lead to weak third party support for the NRS, and fewer games...and the spiral will continue. Thats bad.

On the other hand...There's no reqirement that the games on NRS wont be HD capable from launch. why not ? Nintendo removed some display ports on the Cube in the middle of it's lifetime, i dont see why they wouldnt be able to add HD support if HD suddenly takes off as you(SHS) seem to think so....the graphics cards are definately capable.

So yeah at this point....apart from alienating a tiny niche(technophiles, and Mhz-heads), i dont think it'll have a great impact on sales. having said that...if they dont include support if the market dictates, they stand to loose.

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2005, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by WICKEDfour
As someone who does have access to an HDTV, as well as a Nintendo fan, I will say that I was depressed with that announcement. As far as I know, though, it's still on the table.

I especially find this fishy - take a look at this screenshot from LoZ - Twilight Princess. That's not 480p. That's about 64 pixels (width) away from being 720p. If some GameCube system can output that (I'm guessing it's a development system, but hey, I know nothing), and Revolution is supposed to be at very least 3 times as powerful, why shouldn't Nintendo support 720p or even 1080p? It would seem to me that only outputting 480p would cripple the hardware.

I threw an email Nintendo's way about this silly subject, so if you were inclined, you could read it in full. The reader's digest verison of it is the above, as well as the fact that Nintendo shouldn't skimp on features just because Sony and Microsoft aren't "competition" anymore. *Sigh* I guess I'm hoping that Nintendo does support HD, but either way, they better show me one hell of a controller.
The GameCube supports basic HDTV resolutions, why would Nintendo step backwards? Something doesn't seem quite right with this. Nintendo has also been saying that the Revolution will be as powerful as the other systems (despite the fud being thrown around even after it was revealed the 3x figure wasn't true). This gets a wait and see from me. I'm wondering if this was just a VP who didn't know what he was talking about.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Ham Sandwich
Jun 17, 2005, 06:17 AM

Personally, I couldn't give a crap about HD support. The majority of games on all platforms suck anyway and making the graphics higher res ain't gonna help a thing. And like Noah, I don't see me purchasing a HDTV within 5 years - heck, probably even longer than that, really.

meelk
Baninated
Jun 17, 2005, 08:23 AM

Nintendo has already stated they have a VGA or DVI (they werent specific) out on the Revolution for connection to a computer monitor. Nintendo often says one thing and does another. I think by "support" Nintendo means it isnt going to force anyone to make games 720p/1080i like MS is doing.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
Personally, I couldn't give a crap about HD
In the US alone 33.6 million people have HD sets. Of those 10 million are used only for video games and DVD's and not TV.

That is a huge number of people that will not be happy with the revolution and 33.6 million more customers for Sony or MS to snatch up.

The numbers in Japan are probably even higher.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/062105CEA/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Ham Sandwich
Jun 30, 2005, 06:23 AM

Whoa! Wasn't aware of those numbers on HD penetration in the States! I think I need to start hanging out with richer people as no one I know has one or plans on getting one.

(And SHSW, after reading your thread about your last television purchase - I'll stick with my tube set for awhile! )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 08:30 AM

Its surprising how little i know about HD and home entertainment systems. until yesterday i had no idea what 1080i/p or 720i/p meant .

I was just looking around for info on home entertainment hardware..... and for some reason im drawn towards projectors instead of plasma/lcd/HD for the primary display.

What are you guys thoughts and preferences towards projectors and large plasma/lcd HD displays for home entertainment purposes ?

Cheers

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Its surprising how little i know about HD and home entertainment systems. until yesterday i had no idea what 1080i/p or 720i/p meant .

I was just looking around for info on home entertainment hardware..... and for some reason im drawn towards projectors instead of plasma/lcd/HD for the primary display.

What are you guys thoughts and preferences towards projectors and large plasma/lcd HD displays for home entertainment purposes ?

Cheers
I guess that is why you didn't seem to care about the revolution not having HD. See it helps to know what you are talking about.

If you play games, plasma is out (burn in). Projectors are only ok if you are in a dark room.

Here is more info:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hlight=gots+tv

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 01:52 PM

Well i only JUST as in this week, started thinking about it....a home entertainment system that is (due to the fact of the HD debate here and on the Nintendo news sites). And its shocking how little i know about that stuff .

As far as projectors...i vaguely remember a friend mentioning a projector from SONY (or one of the other big brands, not sure which one), having a projector that could be used in a lit room or something....

I mean i wont be setting up a home entertainment system anytime soon, but decided to look at whats on offer to get a better idea of the technology out there for the H.E. purpose and next generation purpose (next gen as in..... entertainment in general). And in doing so projectors caught my attention. I dont know how to judge the quality of projectors or the differences between a HD display and a projector (apart from physical size and resolution).

Considering that i have quite a few DVDs and a few games from this generation, i dont see the urgency to jump onto the HD bandwagon just yet, if i can get a 'theater' experience with projectors why not ? u know ?

But yeah the dark room and low resolution are in favour of HD.

Thanks for the link...will go over it.

Cheers

Edit>>SHS, thanks for the info on the other thread very useful...ill continue the home theater discussion there. Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 30, 2005 at 02:03 PM. )

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 06:55 PM

"Out of 1500 polled (mostly English-speaking), 23% planned to purchase a PS3, while 20% were going to buy an Xbox 360. A dismal 5% expressed interest in purchasing a Nintendo Revolution. "
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000713053625/
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Aug 8, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
"Out of 1500 polled (mostly English-speaking), 23% planned to purchase a PS3, while 20% were going to buy an Xbox 360. A dismal 5% expressed interest in purchasing a Nintendo Revolution. "
Reading through some of these polls, I'm confused as to what's going to happen. Here's one from Japan that puts PS3 way ahead at first, Nintendo a distant second, and Xbox dead last:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07...s_6128891.html

And here's one (also from Japan) that indicates the most interest in the Revolution, PS3 a close second, Xbox last:
http://www.igniq.com/2005/05/japanes...-nintendo.html

But to be honest, we still don't really know what any of these consoles will do (esp. the Revolution), what games they will have at launch, etc.

That said, as a Nintendo fan, I am a bit worried about their viability... hopefully they will come through with great games that keep people interested, since they've given up on the tried-and-true strategy of dazzling fratties with shiny graphics.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2005, 12:00 AM

"It was later found that all those polled were actually just Star Wars Guy's multiple MacNN personalities."

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 11:03 AM

Same question, different poll, same results:
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000253052953/
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 11:08 AM

My very unscientific methods of just asking friends during conversation has shown me that, as far as people I know, most are not interested in the XBox, while the majority are interested in the PS3 and/or the Revolution. People get quite excited when they learn about the possibility of downloading from such a large library of Nintendo's older games.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2005, 11:41 AM

Same question, different poll, same results:
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000253052953/
Isnt that the same poll cited above ? Also, in my friends circle theyre all about Sony, they couldnt care less about the XB (except for one) and i do have a few friends who are fanatic Nintendo fans (such as myself)

I gues my rationale for putting my support behind the revolution is cause it has more exclusive games id actually want to buy than the other systems.... considering i'll probably only buy 5-8 games in total. And most of the other games im into (like Prince of Persia, are multi platform anyway). Couple that with a cheaper price taga free online service and that seals the deal for me.

NRS:
-Metroid
-Mario
-Zelda
-SSBM

Sony:
-GT
-Jak(maybe)

XB:
-Conker
-PGR

Forum Links