Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > The Ultimate 1st gen iMac:

The Ultimate 1st gen iMac: (Page 2)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 04:28 PM

There area host of drives which will work in your iMac. Check the drive compatability database at www.xlr8yourmac.com.
My Lombard PowerBook has much in common with the early iMacs and currently sports a region free 2x slot load superdrive. If it works in one Mac, it will usually work in any Mac with the same software on it. The issue with revA iMacs, is the jumper settings and bootability. I bet any drive from a tray load iBook will work with Panther.

If you want to stick to Apple branded drives, then G3 PowerBook Lombard and Pismo, Tray load iBooks (inc clamshells) and in fact slot load drives from Late Titanium PowerBooks (867MHz onward), Aluminium PowerBooks, G4 iBooks, and G5 iMacs will fit straight into your revA. If you can run new enough software, they will be supported too. It shouldn't be too difficult to hack support if necessary. Toast will run most if not all, and Patchburn will work on the majority too.
The Slot load G3 iMacs and earlier Titanium PowerBooks use different types of drives. They are square, whereas the others listed have one corner of the square cut off. If you can physicaly get one of them to fit, the iMac drives at least have a Master/Slave switch on the back.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 20, 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by firefly
show us a pic!
Three years later... and....

Sorry for the bad quality, it was back when I only had a DV cam.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 20, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep
There area host of drives which will work in your iMac. Check the drive compatability database at www.xlr8yourmac.com.
My Lombard PowerBook has much in common with the early iMacs and currently sports a region free 2x slot load superdrive. If it works in one Mac, it will usually work in any Mac with the same software on it. The issue with revA iMacs, is the jumper settings and bootability. I bet any drive from a tray load iBook will work with Panther.

If you want to stick to Apple branded drives, then G3 PowerBook Lombard and Pismo, Tray load iBooks (inc clamshells) and in fact slot load drives from Late Titanium PowerBooks (867MHz onward), Aluminium PowerBooks, G4 iBooks, and G5 iMacs will fit straight into your revA. If you can run new enough software, they will be supported too. It shouldn't be too difficult to hack support if necessary. Toast will run most if not all, and Patchburn will work on the majority too.
The Slot load G3 iMacs and earlier Titanium PowerBooks use different types of drives. They are square, whereas the others listed have one corner of the square cut off. If you can physicaly get one of them to fit, the iMac drives at least have a Master/Slave switch on the back.
No need to check really. Every IDE drive I've had works fine. Even a 120 gig drive worked fine. I've had 4 gigs, 6 gigs, 12 gigs, 20 gigs, 46 gigs, 80 gigs, and 120 gig drives in a 1st generation imac. As long as you set it to master and partition the drive with an 8 gig or smaller partition in front, it works flawlessly.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 21, 2005, 01:31 AM

oh snap... bumped with a vengeance

Sup Ca$h... long time no see.

BTW - that tribal pattern is really cool.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 27, 2005, 02:24 PM

Thanks! Once I have more time the ultimate 1st gen iMac might be getting more upgrades, in terms of a mac mini and LCD installed internally. We'll see.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2006, 08:50 AM

I'd throw it in a Marathon rackmount.
ice

festeringwounds
Banned
Jan 16, 2006, 10:57 PM

Rackmount an imac?

grinder
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 07:32 AM

Looks great!
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 31, 2006, 02:02 PM

Update: I just replaced the original 92mm fan with an 92mm xtra white LED one... it sucked, because i had to majorly disassemble the thing in order to unplug the original fan.... removing the shell, the EFI shield, and remove the side logicboard in order to get to it. Then I had to figure out which way the plug should be on the new one, cut it off, and resoldered it onto the new fan. As a side benefit, the thing glows all the time, faintly, but the best thing is the ports ont he side of the iMac are now 'backlit'... as in, the space between the port and the port panel are now emitting light, so you can plug in things at night without turning on a light. Looks cool...

HowEver
Dec 31, 2006, 07:43 PM

What's with all the banned MacNNers in this thread? Including, I assume the OP who posted above?

Still, nice to see a bit of history--today.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2006, 08:01 PM

They're all the same guy. Long story.

(Needs updated pics.)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2006, 09:25 PM

Ohh post new pics please and thank you!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 06:58 PM

New pics. Sorry for the quality, my camera really doesn't take very good pics in the dark, it's actualy much brighter than this looks.

That's just the fan on.

That's the fan and the EL cable.

These are the side ports.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2007, 08:29 PM

I love the ports. I'm really thinking about trying to do something like this with my PowerBook G4. That looks sweet!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 08:54 PM

I don't think they make LED fans for laptops... otherwise I'd probably have one.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2007, 10:18 PM

No, not the fans, the ports. I could probably just pull out the plastic tabs around the ports and then mount some LEDs behind the ports and put some kind of clear covering where the old tabs where.

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 01:51 AM

So is this your main machine?
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Jan 3, 2007, 04:20 AM

Thats not to shabby.. Ive got a graphite ive been kicking around the idea of lighting up

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 3, 2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by praterkeith View Post
So is this your main machine?
Dude. It's in a closet. Of course not. Again, this just hosts music, does backup duty and hosts my webpage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules