Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > new to Macs...first impressions.

new to Macs...first impressions.
HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2006, 10:38 PM

Okay so I've had my new Mini for a few weeks now. I probably shouldda waited, but I just couldn't take it anymore with all the problems I was haivng with my PCs.

Anyway, I picked up a Mini...base model...just so I could play witht he OS. Now, I wasn't completely new to Macs. I would use them at school, but only for word processing and internet. i never played aorudn with anything else. Needless to say I was excited when I finally got my own (along with a mihgty mouse, which I love as well).

Now, setup was a breeze. I loved the fact that I didn't have to inter some stupid 30 character code at setup. I connected to the internet with no problem. It recognized my printer with no fuss. Networking was so easy that I was just speechless, though it was kind of a headache on the Windows side. It did work though and I was able to transfer all my important stuff, including itunes muisic, to my new Mini.

Then came setting up things like background, screen saver, icon size, etc......everything was neat and easy to do.

II downloaded Adium, which I love...and I usually HATE those multi client chat apps, but Adium is nice. I also love iChat and would use that exclusively if it supported all the other major players. I'll use Adium for now though.

I LOVE the way that the bookmarks work in Safari. I like the whole drop down menue thingy ont he bookmark bar. I just think that's neat.

I LOVE dragging and dropping. I just love it....its just so cool.

I LOVE the Dock. It's just lovely. I like the magnification and the fact that I can have it autohide.

Dashboard is great! I love it. Exposé as great and I also love all the neat little commands you can do like snapping pics of things on screen and so on.

MS Office 2004 is nice on the Mac too.

I take a lot of language and linguistics courses so the fact that I can easily type foreign characters is a huge HUGE plus! no more having to memorize stupid number codes!!!!

Theres a lot of other stuff I could say about OS X that I like but that's all for now. I am glad I purhased it and I rarely even use my PCs now. I can't wait till I get my first powerbook, at which time I will spend a bit more $$$ and have it fixed iup rather nicely.

Oh, I also got an ipod nano and loved how it hooked right up to itunes and synced without even having me to do anything. LOVE IT!!!!!!! Macs are niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 12:58 AM

Welcome to Macintosh.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 01:25 AM

What a nice way to start off 2006! Congrats HazelGirl.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2006, 02:03 AM

thanks...love love love it and my friend even wants one now cuz i been raving about it so much.

The interface is so clean and simple and easy that it mde me question myself...thinking "it surely couldnt be THAT easy".
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

gunga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 04:45 AM

I have to echo everything you say. I'm lovin' my new iMac G5. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I even love the grroovy carrier bag that I carried it home from the Apple Store in! It's definitely a keeper.

rem
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2006, 06:13 AM

This reminds me of my first experiences with OS X, plus I love UNIX in general so OS X offered the best of all worlds for me..... like power of UNIX + excellent app support. I was working for one of the major UNIX developers at the time. It was a treat to log into a network of thousands of UNIX machines with OS X to do stuff like seamlessly run X apps from another machine displaying on my OS X desktop (using ssh via X11). Plus there was an enthusiastic Mac user's group within the company that had an intranet site and email alias (or mailing list) for engineers and users to share OS X tips.

Back at home, it was easier to log in to my file server (BSD with Samba) from OS X than Windows. Samba was specifically designed to share files from a UNIX machine with Windows. And since its *nix, NFS is even better.
( Last edited by rem; Jan 9, 2006 at 06:20 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules