Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Web templates

Web templates
Dace
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 03:26 PM

What do you guys think of web templates? Worth it or not?

I've seen several sites selling the same templates, they're nice...but if anyone can have the same look...why should one pay for it? I especially like the flash ones being i don't know anything about Flash

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
What do you guys think of web templates? Worth it or not?

I've seen several sites selling the same templates, they're nice...but if anyone can have the same look...why should one pay for it? I especially like the flash ones being i don't know anything about Flash
When we started on of our sites, we contemplated this same issue... in the end we bought a template because (1) we found one we liked pretty well and (2) we just did not have the time or patience to try to come up with out own design. So we bought the template and used the parts of it we liked and changed some things around a bit.

We bought ours from Template Monster. To deal with the issue of originality once we had some people attempt to copy our site (by either outright stealing the graphics or hiring developers to copy us), we went back and bought ours again at the "unique" price, so that after we purchased it, no-one else is able to buy it again. Template monster also tells you how many people have purchased each template, and with the one we bought, the number was around 5 I think. One was us the 1st go round, and 3 purchases I know the people that made the purchase or run the site. The only purchase I do not know is the 1 that was made before our initial purchase at regular price, but I don't worry about it too much.

skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 03:55 PM

Have just started working on a site.

The client didn't have much idea of what he wanted, my boss showed a bunch of templates from Template Monster, the client chose one, I suggested that the boss buy it, and I'll do the rest. ( check out the monster, why not )

My first action.......finding out that the repeated background image weighs in at 188K, and loses all clarity when compressed to 70K

packetattack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 12:41 AM

I've bought templates twice. Both times it was to get a site up and going very quickly without alot of fuss since I am NOT a web designer There are some nice ones out there but it takes some time to hunt them down. Alot of junk also.

My current site template came from :

http://allwebcodesign.com/

And it was very well documented and easy to use.

My second site which is not "live" yet but you can see it at:

http://www.lightandimage.net/

came from the same folks.

MikeS
hackamac.packetattack.com

Super Mario
Mar 16, 2006, 08:37 AM

Some of the templates are really nice on Template Monster but if you have time it really doesn't take long to learn how to do the same or better without using tables for layout. It depends on how much time and money you have.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:13 PM. )

skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 09:08 AM

A screenshot would have done it for me.

steveedge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2006, 02:14 AM

As a designer, I like to know exactly how each page is put together, so I usually do each site/page from scratch, templates are a bit like taking over a site someone else built, whatever time you save in using a template can be wasted in figuring out the directory structure, etc...Just my 2 centimes worth...
Steve Edge
Web Hosting and Design
Cafe Edge

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 22, 2006, 02:39 PM

Wow those are some REALLY ugly templates. At the very least & for less money look up templatemonster.com.. They have section without flash.

makad
Mar 31, 2006, 07:17 PM

My personal openion on that is not to have web templates.

Reasons
1) they are not perfect for your websites as they have been made to suit the community. NOT a specific Kind of websites.

2) Lesser Flexibility

3) You cannot copyright those templates

Then where to go for a good and cheap design for your website..

I will tell you you just go to any freelance websiets for that..
Also you can ask me to do so if you want.

Ravish Kumar
Loans and Morgtage Information Get the best human edited loan and mortgage information at loanskey.

Forum Links
Forum Rules