Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Computer questions

Computer questions
ronanism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 07:12 PM

Hi I am stuck on these questions any help would be appreiated:

Why does an application program need an operating system

and

Why is compatibility needed between operating system software and application software

Thank you for your time

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 07:14 PM

Computing 101, Assignment #1, questions one and two hey?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2006, 07:16 PM

A classic troll. Gotta love it.

IBL.

-t

ronanism  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 07:17 PM

Yep, I need questions one and two I think I have the rest sussed

Ganesha
Senior User
Apr 30, 2006, 07:17 PM

1. It doesn't.

2. It doesn't.

ronanism  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 07:19 PM

What would the ethical answer be cuz the system seems to think it definitly does

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Billy G
What would the ethical answer be cuz the system seems to think it definitly does
The answer is on the back side of the paper or under the desk.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 08:43 PM

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 08:57 PM

Wikipedia is a wonderful thing.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
Wikipedia is a wonderful thing.
wdlove?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Billy G
Hi I am stuck on these questions any help would be appreiated:

Why does an application program need an operating system

and

Why is compatibility needed between operating system software and application software

Thank you for your time

What happened to your question marks

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
wdlove?

I miss wdlove.

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 01:14 AM

Welcome to MacNN, helpful as always...

Come on, these are interesting questions, that would benefit being answered. We all know he "basic" answer, but it would be interesting to have an expert's opition on this, or even a philosophical theory on the question. (Do we really need an OS? Is that because programmers are lazy? Learn binary of assembly? Pffff no way!) I think we are becoming more and more dependant on high-level API, and programmers are becoming less and less competent and original. They take for granted that the speed of today's machine will make up for the inefficient code produced (often rightly so) but...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 01:44 AM

Few (if any) modern operating systems are written in assembly. They're written in C or C++, just like most applications. An operating system's primary function is to provide an interface to the underlying hardware. Otherwise, every program would have to include its own drivers for any part of your system the developer wanted to work while it was running and you would only be able to run one program at a time.

As for becoming "dependent on high-level API," that's kind of a fuzzy topic (is anything above the kernel "high-level"?), but I suspect you use many applications written with these high-level APIs, so it seems to me that they must produce some pretty good products.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 02:51 AM

I totally agree with what you said. It would be impractical to develop applications (let alone a whole OS) in assembly. It would be back to many decades ago. However, it would be possible to avoid using an OS, as embedded application demonstrated: they talk directly to the hardware.

Of couse, I wasn't questionning the quality of modern apps that make use of high-level API. After all, if you make good use of Tiger's API such as CoreData, CoreImage and Quartz, you can produce amazing software that look good and work great. However, as you have everything "pre-cooked", your quality (or merit) as a programmer is greatly diminished. As someone who uses AppleScript Studio can make a really good product, but is probably less qualified than someone writing his apps in Cocoa, all by hand.

I was just throwing a few bones to prove that the OP had valid questions that should not deserve this kind of treatment.. Troll? IBL?? WTF!!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2006, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Of couse, I wasn't questionning the quality of modern apps that make use of high-level API. After all, if you make good use of Tiger's API such as CoreData, CoreImage and Quartz, you can produce amazing software that look good and work great. However, as you have everything "pre-cooked", your quality (or merit) as a programmer is greatly diminished. As someone who uses AppleScript Studio can make a really good product, but is probably less qualified than someone writing his apps in Cocoa, all by hand.
Cocoa is a pretty high-level API itself, you know. It includes a hell of a lot of "pre-cooked" functionality. Go build that 15-minute text editor example sometime. You'll be astonished at how much Cocoa does for you. A Cocoa app is far from being written all by hand.

Not that that's a bad thing. Why, really, should programmers waste their time doing busywork that could be handled just as well, or better, by a high-level API like Cocoa? If programmers don't have to spend extra time doing menial labor to implement things that work exactly the same way in every single app anyway, they can put more effort into refining the application itself and making a better product. The other nice thing about all the "pre-cooked" stuff is that it can give a lot of extra functionality for free that end-users appreciate (such as the spell checker).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2006, 04:27 AM

CharlesS hit the nail right on the head.

In fact, this is one of the things i'm learning in my Operations Management class (Business Admin.)..... deciding whether to 'crash' a project (buying ready-made materials to save time) or just make everything ourselves from scratch.

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Why, really, should programmers waste their time doing busywork that could be handled just as well, or better, by a high-level API like Cocoa? If programmers don't have to spend extra time doing menial labor to implement things that work exactly the same way in every single app anyway, they can put more effort into refining the application itself and making a better product. The other nice thing about all the "pre-cooked" stuff is that it can give a lot of extra functionality for free that end-users appreciate (such as the spell checker).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
CharlesS hit the nail right on the head.
LOL. Somehow, the kerning here is confusing

-t

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2006, 11:33 AM

Imagine if the computer just booted into the application... Granted, you couldn't switch apps, but it would be great for games.

Like through Boot Camp, for example.

Half Life 2 without Windows XP, anyone?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
LOL. Somehow, the kerning here is confusing

-t
Yeah, that would hurt if he could sh*t a nail.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Imagine if the computer just booted into the application... Granted, you couldn't switch apps, but it would be great for games.

Like through Boot Camp, for example.

Half Life 2 without Windows XP, anyone?
That would be nice, to just have a bit more RAM and also CPU. You can strip out alot of services and crap if you really only want to play games in XP. You can strip XP down to under 100MB of RAM usage and still have an internet-capable computer.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 11:59 AM

Ah yes, I miss the days of assembly. Oh wait, no I don't.

Leopard Employee
May 1, 2006, 02:29 PM

Even using an older OS could give some of the same effects is boot camp backward compatable enough to run win 3.1, I did a little experement with an old 2ghz desk top and win 95 the speed was pretty increadable just no new aps to run uses and pretty small amounts of RAM though

ronanism  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas
i owe u a beer

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 08:02 PM

Are you sure you're old enough to buy one?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules