Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 2.0b2 (ick!)

Firefox 2.0b2 (ick!)
Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 02:07 PM

If anyone else is about to download FF2.0b2 I must warn you that it has a pretty ugly, washed out looking theme; I'm thinking this can't possibly be the work of the same guy that has produced the previous two Mac themes.

Otherwise, they seem to have dropped all the notable features from this realease, and added some bizarre fade in/fade out for all of the menus.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 07:28 PM

It's an interesting build, definitely. Having been using Minefield (the Cocoa build) more and more recently, this definitely feels like a step back. So in order to be fair, I went out and downloaded the latest stable release, 1.5.0.6. WOW! This new beta is a huge step forward in several ways. Granted, it still lacks native windows, widgets, spell checking, etc... but this is why I have no intention of making Ff my primary browser quite yet.

What it DOES boast is much better performance, both when first opening and when rendering web pages. I love the favicons in the main Bookmarks menu, a feature for which I had been asking for quite a while. I'm not a huge fan of the new default theme, but it may just be me not being used to it (not to mention the fact that there are about 5 bazillion themes out there for the picky user). And the smooth scrolling feels, well, smoother. I don't have my mouse with me, but I think that it reacts to scrolling (esp. acceleration) the same way that Safari and the Finder (plus countless other apps) have for a long time.

My opinion? The changes are welcomed, but not quite enough to tear me away from Safari + Camino. However, only time will tell whether I'll stick with Safari or switch back to Ff when they both hit their 3.0 this spring.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2006, 10:06 PM

If you get the Nightly Tester Tools extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/958/

it will let you use any extension, even ones that won't normally install because your Firefox is so new.

Anyway, I switched themes easily using this. 2.0b2 is an improvement over b1 in that my theme now looks right-on.

W

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 1, 2006, 09:37 AM

I've heard bad things about the newest version of Firefox for Windows too. On the Mac version, is it just a change in the theme that makes it look bad? I don't want to change to the new version (which seems to have some neat new features and improvements) until I'm sure it won't look worse than it does already.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2006, 10:08 AM

They did away with the rounded search fields. This was only a Mac convention anyway.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 11:24 AM

Aside from the square fields, I actually like this theme better than 1.5.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 1, 2006, 11:27 AM

I read the final theme is being redone completely by some guy who has a design site.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 12:10 PM

Forget that, I'm using 3.0a1.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 12:56 PM

Chuckit, were you able to import your bookmarks into 3.0? I don't use Safari, so I tried to import from a file. But for some reason, I could never get it to work. Even taking a bookmarks.html file from my 1.5 installation and manually moving it into the appropriate directory didn't seem to work. 3.0 just overrides it.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 04:02 PM

I just downloaded Minefield and it automatically had my old bookmarks.
Chuck
___

voo
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2006, 04:29 PM

Any pics?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 06:07 PM

I was using the 3.0 builds, though I ended up going back to 1.5 because they were too unstable (which I suppose is to be expected for prereleases).

Frankly, though, I'm not a fan of the 2.0 series. I think they've dropped too many of their planned features to justify the version number change, and what they have kept reflects a set of priorities which, for a browser maker, could only be described as warped.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 06:21 PM

I don't find the 3.0 builds to be less stable than 1.5. It has yet to do that annoying not-crash-but-totally-lock-up thing 1.5 always does.
Chuck
___

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2006, 06:22 PM

Yeah, it seems this coulda been 1.6... but still nice to have something new

voo
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2006, 07:05 PM

I thought Firefox 2 was to be unified... or is that still planned? Flickr Photo Download: Messy

Theres nothing new with the menus though, typical osx menus.
Still ugly checkboxes and such.
( Last edited by voo; Sep 1, 2006 at 07:36 PM. )

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 04:39 PM

The latest nightly builds of Minefield are pretty nice and stable for me. I think I just found a new browser to replace Camino in the dock. For now anyways.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2006, 08:51 PM

I'm still surprised that Firefox is as popular on the Mac as it is.

For starters, Firefox really sticks out like a fish out of water in OS X. It just looks and feels like a really klunky port of a Windows/Linux application. And in my opinion, any rendering speed advantages it does have over the other OS X native browsers are pretty much cancelled out by that generally klunky feel of the UI.

As as for those 'rendering speed advantages' that I always hear so much about; I rarely see them and even when I do I wonder why they're worth using Firefox over something like Camino which is at least as fast on most sites, looks and feels far better, and has processor-specific optimized builds even more readily available then Firefox does.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2006, 02:00 AM

Camino is sloooooow. I cut out a couple of os there for the sake of brevity, but I think you get the idea. I prefer the speed and nicer UI of the Firefox 3 alphas.
Chuck
___

Curiosity
Senior User
Sep 25, 2006, 02:31 AM

I am using version 2.0 of Firefox for Windows. My themes and extensions work. One thing I did not like was the arrangement of the search box. They put the icon for the search engine outside of the box. The search box also now is not limited by the space given to it by the theme, but takes as much room as it can. I had to move it to the menu bar to give the URL box enough length.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Camino is sloooooow. I cut out a couple of os there for the sake of brevity, but I think you get the idea. I prefer the speed and nicer UI of the Firefox 3 alphas.
Huh? Camino is using the exact same renderer (Gecko) as Firefox.

If you were talking about its UI, it's noticeably faster than Firefox's on my machine.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2006, 03:31 AM

Not mine. Particularly when there are animated GIFs or any other sort moving content involved, Camino seems to get overexcited and has to take a break.
Chuck
___

P
Sep 25, 2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I'm still surprised that Firefox is as popular on the Mac as it is.

For starters, Firefox really sticks out like a fish out of water in OS X. It just looks and feels like a really klunky port of a Windows/Linux application. And in my opinion, any rendering speed advantages it does have over the other OS X native browsers are pretty much cancelled out by that generally klunky feel of the UI.

As as for those 'rendering speed advantages' that I always hear so much about; I rarely see them and even when I do I wonder why they're worth using Firefox over something like Camino which is at least as fast on most sites, looks and feels far better, and has processor-specific optimized builds even more readily available then Firefox does.
I agree about all of this, but you forgot about one feature. The one and only reason I use Firefox on the Mac are the extensions - in particular Flashblock, but there are a few others as well. Get me that in Safari and I'll switch back.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 25, 2006, 10:18 AM

There are a lot of nice things in Safari, but I've never had the kind of problems connecting to various sites with Firefox that I did with Safari. And it never mattered how I set the user agent-Safari would NOT connect to some school sites, while Firefox (even the betas) would every time.

I still have some issues with some sites and the way Firefox renders them, but I'm attributing those issues to the sites' coding-probably using some sort of IE-specific stuff.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vsmsamples
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 05:59 PM

2.0 is so cool. the phishing detector and spell check in fields is my favorite

NEW FLASH 2.0RC1 is out now
Find it here
Mozilla Firefox - Next Generation Browser - Release Candidate Downloads

Links found at the above url still lead to 1.5.0.7
Those who must have now download RC1 from http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...0%20RC%201.dmg
( Last edited by vsmsamples; Sep 26, 2006 at 06:06 PM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by vsmsamples
2.0 is so cool. the phishing detector and spell check in fields is my favorite

NEW FLASH 2.0RC1 is out now
Find it here
Mozilla Firefox - Next Generation Browser - Release Candidate Downloads

Links found at the above url still lead to 1.5.0.7
Those who must have now download RC1 from http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...0%20RC%201.dmg
Improves upon several things I didn't like about 1.x, particularly the lack of spell check. Still uses ugly widgets, though.

KevinG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
For starters, Firefox really sticks out like a fish out of water in OS X. It just looks and feels like a really klunky port of a Windows/Linux application.
The updated Pinstripe theme might help out here:
Pinstripe for Firefox: Now with 20% more Macintosh : pretty widgets

Forum Links
Forum Rules