Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Macbook Pro video corruption in Windows XP, sleepy standby, no 802.11b, no HD15 out

Macbook Pro video corruption in Windows XP, sleepy standby, no 802.11b, no HD15 out
uruiamme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 12:56 AM

I have a number of issues that I can’t resolve running a Macbook Pro 17” Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz with 2GB RAM. The base system is what I have, and it’s new and still under warranty. I bought it at a retail store mail order, so it came with the 160 GB hard drive. I bought a Seagate 100GB 7200 rpm drive, but I haven’t tried installing it. I read somewhere that removing the drive and reinstalling it is difficult without maybe tearing up the case which holds the drive. I’m waiting to see more forum posts on that issue.

But when I boot to Windows and the laptop goes to sleep or standby, it wakes back up, sometimes. Well, most of the time it wakes up, but not always (7 or 8 out of 10). When it wakes up, it has weird video corruption until it is rebooted. I don’t know if this is an ATI Radeon driver issue or not. To describe it, well, reds sparkle and grays are lustery. The top of every window has a Title bar, you know, and in the middle of every title bar there is a fuzzy section, maybe a centimeter wide or maybe half that. The corruption stays in place and adjusts its size whenever I resize a window! Very strange.

Sometimes the notebook will not go down to sleep, and sometimes it wakes up with the screen down. I ran down my battery twice when it woke up without me knowing, and I only realized later. Lots of crashes like these make me essentially stop allowing it to sleep. And I don’t think I have gotten hibernation to work on it, yet! When it refuses to do stuff like this, it sometimes has USB problems, too, like things won’t be detected when they are plugged in.

As far as I have seen, with a very little use in Mac OS X, there is no problem over there. Just when I boot to Windows XP. I need to look more on the Mac side, because I want to take it in exhibiting this in OS X, or they may not want to replace it.

The other issue is connecting using the built-in wireless was a major problem, under Windows or Mac. I never could get a good signal to an old Linksys WAP11 access point, which is 802.11b. I tried a lot of stuff, and I am the network administrator, so this should have been possible. I eventually gave up and I’m connecting using other means, but it is pretty worthless right now.

I wish the keys would light up in Windows.

As for the video, I also could not get the second display to work as long as it is an analog HD15 monitor. A new DVI monitor works, but not an old VGA-style using the included DVI to HD15 connector.

So that’s a lot of things. Should I keep it? It’s not a good Windows laptop IMHO. Unless these are bugs on my machine or they can and will be rectified by Apple.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 01:13 AM

sorry OT, but whats with the font size?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

uruiamme  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 02:06 AM

Normal font size, 96dpi. I have selected Extra Large font size in the other tab. Hmm. That's clear as mud! Microsoft to the rescue!! The first answer is from the Settings * Advanced * General Tab. If this is ever changed from the normal setting, you have to reboot.

The second answer is from the Appearance tab. If you change this, you see it immediately. It is related to the theme and I use Windows Classic style, extra large fonts.

ibook_steve
Jan 10, 2007, 02:11 AM

No, I think Velocity is talking about the fact that the fonts in your posts are freaking huge.

Steve

Sampedro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by uruiamme View Post

But when I boot to Windows and the laptop goes to sleep or standby, it wakes back up, sometimes. Well, most of the time it wakes up, but not always (7 or 8 out of 10). When it wakes up, it has weird video corruption until it is rebooted. I don’t know if this is an ATI Radeon driver issue or not. To describe it, well, reds sparkle and grays are lustery. The top of every window has a Title bar, you know, and in the middle of every title bar there is a fuzzy section, maybe a centimeter wide or maybe half that. The corruption stays in place and adjusts its size whenever I resize a window! Very strange.

I'm having the same problem with the same computer running boot camp 1.1.2; when windows comes back from standby, the display is hosed and the cpu wants to die. I agree, it sucks big time, but i've written it off as a bootcamp driver issue not necessarily a flaw with the macbook.

I haven't had any problems with the mac side of things.

Anyone else have this problem or know what's causing it?

r

uruiamme  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 10:05 PM

Well, I tried the latest drivers from ATI. This is a big pain, because AMD owns ATI now, and they have locked down all of the drivers for us folks who have a Mobility Radeon X1900 on the Macbook Pro. They let you install a little "snooper" utility, and if it doesn't detect that you have a certain brand of laptop, then it refuses to download the ATI Catalyst software with the latest possible fixes.

Well, even they have a link to a workaround for Apple Mac users: third party drivers! For gamers, there's these guys who hack the ATI drivers for speed and some neato features, then they repackage them and let you download them as long as you watch some ads. Anyway, the Omega drivers are what you would need if Apple hasn't released a Windows driver yet. Which I doubt they will keep current -- you would have to wait for the next Boot Camp, which is not too often.

See OmegaDrivers.net Omega Drivers for ATI and Macbook Pro for the latest Windows XP drivers for your Macbook Pro with ATI Radeon X1900. By the way, this did not solve the issue of sparkly reds and sleep disorders where the laptop wakes back up with video corruption. But guess what? It fixes not being able to see a second monitor which happens to use HD15 (old VGA-style) connector, so I can now tell you that the video corruption is only on the laptop LCD, not on the second display. Yeah. Worth the download to let me see the second display. If Apple is listening, this is a good driver to use. Version 3.8.330 is what this says, or ATI Catalyst 7.1.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2007, 10:50 PM

Welcome! But I have a few items to discuss with you.

Item ONE-DO NOT USE SUCH LARGE FONTS. Use the default font for ALL posts.

Item TWO-have you read through our list of forums? We have one called "Alternative Operating Systems" where we put all threads dealing with running anything but OS X (or the appropriate Mac OS) on a Mac. This should have gone there. Added: from looking at your other posts, you both know about the Alternative OS forum AND can use normal font sizes. Please remember these skills.

Item THREE-use search when it's available. Like it is on our forums. There are lots of posts about getting the ATI card in your Mac to work with Windows. That would have saved you a lot of time.

We are here to help, but you have to cooperate to get that help. I'm moving this thread to the Alternative OS forum for further input and updates.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tequilaguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2007, 09:36 PM

Same problem here, Has Anyone found a solution, is it a hardware failure?.

ghporter
Administrator
May 3, 2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by tequilaguru View Post
Same problem here, Has Anyone found a solution, is it a hardware failure?.
Welcome to the MacNN Forums! But like I said above, do a search. There are a number of posts here that tell you what to do... Another reason to search is that there were more than one solutions posted, and you can find the one that meets your situation best by doing a search.

tequilaguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2007, 01:41 PM

That's the first thing I did, looked for sleep corruption, video corruption, ati sleep c2d, macbook 17 sleep issue, but found no answer, any pointers?

ghporter
Administrator
May 4, 2007, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by tequilaguru View Post
That's the first thing I did, looked for sleep corruption, video corruption, ati sleep c2d, macbook 17 sleep issue, but found no answer, any pointers?
Try the Advanced Search (to limit the scope to this forum) and just search for "corruption." Really, you'll see half a dozen slightly different issues, and one may be similar enough to your situation to help you.

tequilaguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 03:26 PM

I'll try that, thx a lot.

inkhead
Senior User
May 5, 2007, 08:36 PM

Make sure you are RUNNING THE LATEST VERSION OF BOOTCAMP. It's beta software and there are lots of issues with SLEEP and windows, bottomline, it's a Mac, the best solution is to leave it in OS X when putting it to sleep, doing so in windows made my machine turn on with the lid closed (this happens all the time with real windows laptops) and it got so hot running closed that the battery bulged out the next morning.

tequilaguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2007, 10:48 AM

It's bootcamp 1.2, Oh well, I certanly hope it isn't a hardware issue.

I am not thrilled about the uneven backlight either.

ghporter
Administrator
May 6, 2007, 05:54 PM

Try redownloading Boot Camp and burning a new driver CD, then reinstalling the video driver. It couldn't hurt.

dearlife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2007, 06:23 AM

hi guys .. I had this same problem with only one MBpro 17(C2D) that i have installed windows on it.. First I thought that it is a driver error, but then i installed vista, and before installing any driver, I put the computer to sleep, and when it woke up.. the video was corrupted..I hope it is not a hardware error..

tequilaguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 01:13 AM

It would very helpful if other people with MBP C2D posted similar experiences,
I can't disregard this matter as a hardware error, but so far, when the computer isn't put to sleep the video card doesn't show any sign of corruption, even when the computer gets really hot.

And in Mac OS X the computer doesn't show any sign of video corruption.

More computers showing this problem, or (not showing it), would help a lot to know the cause.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2007, 05:01 PM

I just solved a huge problem with my Revision A MBP 17" (with the X1600 card) by installing the newest ATI Radeon drivers. Normally, ATI restricts the installation of these newer drivers on laptops. Yesterday I discovered Mobility Modder, which allows you to modify the drivers so that ATI won't restrict installation anymore.

Installing them fixed a whole bunch of problems for me. The whole process is documented in [solution] Install/Update Windows ATI graphics drivers for Mobility Graphics Cards. Please, try those steps and reply in that thread to let me know how it works for you!

tequilaguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 09:41 PM

Well, I'd hate to say you didn't need to do all that work, but, you didn't, AMD makes drivers for this laptops and it will not solve the corruption issue, also the Rev A is a whole different computer, it doesn't need the card to be underclocked, the cooling solution is much more efficient.

Apple Boot Camp XP Software Graphics Drivers

tequilaguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 11:34 AM

Bootcamp 1.3 did not help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules