Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The 2007 F1 Thread (JPEGs)

The 2007 F1 Thread (JPEGs)
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 03:18 PM

The teams are starting to show their 2007 cars now, so to start off the thread, these are the cars and drivers shown so far (in no particular order) -

McLaren - Vodafone are the new sponsors

Alonso and Hamilton - Corporate sideburns?

Ferrari - Very red

Raikkonen and Massa - yep, definitely going for the red look!

Renault - The blue, yellow orange and white car (ie. ugly)

Fisichella and Kovalainen - with a shiny new engine.

BMW Sauber - Boo hiss, no new paint job

Heidfeld and Kubica - With nameplates for the easily confused

Toyota - Same old same old looking car

Trulli and Schumacher (Schu Jnr, Half Schumacher etc.) - Same old same old looking drivers too

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 03:18 PM

Honda - The final paintwork for the 2007 season, with the car covered by an image of the Earth!

Button and Barrichello - Rubens wasn't happy, he wanted to be in focus too

Red Bull Racing - Still no new paint, come on, make an effort!

Webber and Coulthard - The photo was taken by a very tall photographer

Williams - Still blue and white, but easier to tell from BMW now.

Rosberg and Wurz - Getting ready to give the car a push!

Spyker - Any resemblance to the orange and black McLaren test car colours are probably completely intentional!

Albers and Sutil - ...and a man in a suit.

Super Aguri - Davidson and Sato

Toro Rosso - You can tell its a Toro Rosso because there's a red bull painted on the side... oh wait.

Speed and Liuzzi - They finally let Speed have another go.

Cars and drivers will be updated as they're announced. Let the discussion, flaming, name calling and insults for a new year begin!
( Last edited by ajprice; Feb 26, 2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added Honda & Toro Rosso to picture listing)

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2007, 04:34 PM

the honda looks good all black.

I like the "MM" on the front of the Mclaren

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 06:01 PM

Enjoy this TV commercial, really nice, sadly youtube quality…

YouTube - Anuncio Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 07:31 PM

The RB3 looks an awful lot like the MP4-20 (the last Adrian Newey penned car at McLaren)...

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 28, 2007, 08:03 PM

I like F1, but it's really tough to follow without cable. Is there any site that has all the races in torrent format?

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 02:21 PM

Sweet - maybe I can get into it this year.. finally got Speed channel with FioS.

Call me insular - but what happened to that U.S. guy they were trying to get into F1? He was with Red Bull I think - right?

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Call me insular - but what happened to that U.S. guy they were trying to get into F1? He was with Red Bull I think - right?
Scott Speed? He drove for Toro Rosso last year (the second tier Red Bull team).

In other news, Williams aren't happy over the prospect of this years Toro Rosso and Super Aguri teams using last years chassis from their parent teams (Red Bull and Honda), arguing that any car in F1 should be designed and built by the team racing it, and not use 'customer cars' bought or or received from another team.

Link

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by hickey View Post
the honda looks good all black.

I like the "MM" on the front of the Mclaren
Please note that is not related to the M&M candies but a spanish insurance company (Mutua Madrileña) which used to be a Renault F1 sponsor, they just moved to McLaren along with the spaniard.

Apologies if input was not needed.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2007, 11:08 AM

Updated for Williams launch. Williams said they are "ashamed' of their performance last year (8th in the championship), and hope to do better this year (well duhh!).

Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates has also been signed as a track for 2009 and onwards by Bernie Ecclestone. The season may then be 20 races long. Not sure about all this moving to places like Abu Dhabi and Bahrain, the tracks are usually good but it seems like F1 is walking away from its history, with tracks like Spa and Silverstone seemingly under permanent threat. Ecclestone also said he would like night races in the championship, with Singapore being an option.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 02:34 PM

Updated for Spyker launch.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 03:14 PM

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2007, 03:37 PM

2007 Toro Rosso unveiled!!!

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2007, 11:48 AM

OK so the only team left to show their car now is Super Aguri, and all teams have confirmed their drivers. That Honda paintwork is really different. The website myearthdream.com | coming soon will be open to pledges by anyone, do do their thing for the environment, and have their name listed on the site and microscopically painted into a pixel on the car. Apart from the Honda H logo, the Bridgestone tyre logo, and the myearthdream website address, there will be no other sponsors painted on the car, but all their previous sponsors, and more, are supporting the team.

The Toro Rosso has also been shown, which Williams said they were going to contest, along with Super Aguri, because they are cars handed over from the Red Bull team (and Honda team in Aguri's case), so here's a picture comparing the 2007 Red Bull and Toro Rosso...

I think Frank Williams has a point!!!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 10:04 PM

Yippee! Yippee! Yippee!

Formula 1 is back!

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 17, 2007, 12:34 AM

Honda car looks pretty neat, no major ad's on the car.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Honda car looks pretty neat, no major ad's on the car.
Now that I've seen the Honda on a track, I'm not sure about the planet earth thing, from the rollbar camera it looks like a blue car thats been hit by a great big green paintball gun. In qualifying, it looks like Honda would have done better if they repainted the Super Aguris and drove those instead - Super Aguri 10th and 11th, Honda 14th and 17th.

Raikkonen looked a step ahead of the other cars, was a second faster at one point!! BMW also look good for points. And well done to Hamilton, 4th place is not bad at all for a first race grid position .

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2007, 04:03 PM

Go Alonso! again :-)
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2007, 05:46 PM

Kimi and the Ferrari seem to be working well together...pole for Kimi and Ferrari!!!!

Hamilton was darn good too!!
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2007, 09:52 PM

This just a bad copy of indi car, get a new idea already!
I'm only joking.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
This just a bad copy of indi car, get a new idea already!
I'm only joking.
You obviously have no idea what your talking about. Formula 1 and GP racing was around long before Indy Car or CART Racing.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2007, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
You obviously have no idea what your talking about. Formula 1 and GP racing was around long before Indy Car or CART Racing.
I seriously doubt that.
Im still joking

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2007, 11:35 PM

I seriously doubt that.
F1 exists since 1950; CART since 1979.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 01:42 AM

I seriously doubt that.
Im still joking
Grand Prix motor racing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:The first Grands Prix

In 1906, the first (and at that time only) race carrying the name Grand Prix was organized by the Automobile Club de France (ACF), and run over two days in June.

Grand Prix motor racing

Grand Prix motor racing has its roots in organized automobile racing that began in France as far back as 1894. It quickly evolved from a simple road race from one town to the next, to endurance tests for car and driver.

Cart, Indy, Nascar and all other oval or road course racers end up at F1. It IS the best of the best. You move up to F1 not down to it. Those that can't handle F1 end up driving in circles

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2007, 06:41 AM

Lets consider using spoilers until everyone has woken up and seen the race themselves..?

we don't have time to stop for gas

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2007, 05:39 PM

Nice overtaking maneuver by Heidfeld. BMW is surprisingly good so far. Let's hope Heidfeld makes it onto the podium soon. Renault is disappointing.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2007, 06:25 PM

Yep BMW are looking good so far (well Heidfeld is anyway!). 3rd and two 2nd places makes Hamilton the most successful F1 new driver.. ever!! and going by Barry's drive in the Honda, Button wouldn't have done much this race anyway. I'm still thinking that Honda and Super Aguri should swap cars because SA got the works Honda cars by mistake this year.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 08:51 AM

So, McLaren fans ... what was it you were saying about Schumacher being a cheat? "Hundreds" of Ferrari documents have now been found at the McLaren chief designer's home. What do you guys think?

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula One | McLaren caught in Ferrari spy row

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 08:58 AM

Wow, that's movie level intrigue.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
So, McLaren fans ... what was it you were saying about Schumacher being a cheat? "Hundreds" of Ferrari documents have now been found at the McLaren chief designer's home. What do you guys think?

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula One | McLaren caught in Ferrari spy row
So true...seems McLaren has been wearing the black hat not Ferrari!!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 10:20 AM

what was it you were saying about Schumacher being a cheat?
What I find more interesting is what those people say now who claimed that Räikkönen would toast Schumacher should they drive in the same team, and now Räikkönen can hardly keep Massa behind.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 10:48 AM

if it becomes true that this Ferrari guy was sabotaging Kimi's car then we know why. This s a serious incident involving sharing of tech specs and possible sabotage. Kimi was the prime victim and the fear of his possible domination at Ferrari.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 12:19 PM

He wasn't sabotaging one Ferrari only though. His plan (at Monaco) was to put detergent into the fuel tanks of both cars. So that wouldn't explain why Massa is beating Raikkonen.

It might explain the leap in competitiveness of the McLarens mind you.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 12:49 PM

Wow this is just not good for F1 in general.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 04:03 AM

Heck, baseball, cricket, athletics, cycling, football have all survived worse than this. I don't think it'll hurt F1 that much. Maybe even increase the ratings. I think it will hurt McLaren though. I would think that the FIA will have to punish them somehow. Maybe cancel all of their points in the constructor's championship. Hard to see how they can punish McLaren without punishing Alonso and Hamilton.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 04:34 AM

Well, McLaren found guilty of breaking the rules but there will be no penalty from the sporting authorities. The legal cases continue though and given the penalties that have been handed by the courts in the past, there could still be heavy consequences for Mercedes and Mclaren. Ironically, the last big case of corporate espionage also involved Mercedes Benz who settled out of court with General Motors for something between $1Bn and $2Bn.

Anyway, I found the exchange between Ferrari's Felipe Massa and Alonso after the European Grand Prix quite funny. The frog in the jumper is obviously Jean Todt. Alonso not doing his chances of ever working at Ferrari any good!

Fernando: Hey little kid, you dent my paintwork

Felipe: Are you talking to me donkey face?

Fernando: Yes, I talk to you. Get your team to buy you some glasses.

Felipe: Yeah and you get a shaver. Pussy face.

Fernando: You were the same in Barcelona

Felipe: Me? You say this and you win. Maybe you get a job on the fairground with bumper cars. It's your style.

Fernando: Yeah?

Felipe: Yeah

Fernando: Yeah? And you're too small to sit in a bumper car.

When you kiss your girlfriend - do you stand on a box?

Does she read you bedtime story

Felipe: **** you

Fernando: **** you

Felipe: No, I said it first.

Fernando: How does it feel to be Michael Schumacher's bitch

Felipe: I am not his bitch

Fernando: His Brazilian lady boy

Felipe: **** you

Fernando: **** you and the frog in the jumper

Ron: Calm down boys, there are cameras here and I don't know any good swear words.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 06:30 AM

Anyway, I found the exchange between Ferrari's Felipe Massa and Alonso after the European Grand Prix quite funny. The frog in the jumper is obviously Jean Todt. Alonso not doing his chances of ever working at Ferrari any good!
I laughed aloud at this!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 04:01 PM

(…) Anyway, I found the exchange between Ferrari's Felipe Massa and Alonso after the European Grand Prix quite funny (…)
Sorry but that text is bullshit, pure and simple, where did you find that?, doesn't matter really, maybe the folk who translated the conversation from italian (both were talking italian) to english hates both guys too much

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Sorry but that text is bullshit, pure and simple, where did you find that?, doesn't matter really, maybe the folk who translated the conversation from italian (both were talking italian) to english hates both guys too much
Found it here. Felipe vs Fernando: The Uncensored Version - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com. They're normally quite accurate with their stories but I lolled either way.

Today the news is that Ron Dennis in his wisdom decided to attack Ferrari by saying that he looked at information that the Ferrari mole had sent to McLaren, decided that Ferrari's floor and rear wing may be illegal and decided to query them. I can see the point in trying to deflect some criticism to Ferrari but man, what an absolutely stupid thing for Ron Dennis to say ahead of various legal cases being brought! His lawyer should have told him to shut up. What he has now done is to admit that people other than just his technical director saw confidential Ferrari information and used it against Ferrari. Mere possession of that information was illegal. In the case of the floor where the FIA clarified the rule in a way which prohibited the Ferrari floor, he may have a point about "whistle-blowing" but this was never brought as a whistle-blower case. McLaren did not go to the FIA and say that a whistle-blower had alerted them to an irregularity with the Ferrari nor did they say, "We were given the following documents as part of this whistle-blower case. Here they are, please destroy them." They made out as if they had stumbled upon the information themselves. My sense is that Ferrari probably thought that was too much of a coincidence and started looking for their mole.

Dennis has also admitted that the information he saw did not relate only to illegal technology which has damaged his case. The FIA decided that the Ferrari rear wing that McLaren complained about was within the rules. So there's no question of whistle-blowing in respect of the rear wing. McLaren now had detailed information about how Ferrari had pushed the rules, without breaking them, to build a high-tech, rule pushing rear wing. And yet he says this gave them no advantage. Not that gaining an advantage is a requirement. None of which explains why, they received 700 pages of additional Ferrari documentation after the whole "whistle-blowing" thing was finished.

Ron Dennis' argument that this was the misdeed of an individual is a pile of BS. That individual was the technical director of McLaren. He's part of the team. If Alonso speeds in the pit lane (breaks the rules), nobody says, "Well McLaren shouldn't suffer just because one person in their team broke the rules." In that case, McLaren loses points. Couglan is as much a part of the team as Alonso or Lewis or anyone else. F1 drivers lose points all the time because of mistakes committed by their team. I don't see any problem with cancelling any points gained so far by Alonso and Lewis - although I think F1 is too much of a business for that to happen.

I don't see how, in the circumstances, McLaren can go unpunished. They have admitted that they were in possession of confidential Ferrari information which is against the rules. Whistle-blowing is not a defence and even if it was, it would have required McLaren, at the time of blowing the whistle, to admit to breaking the rules in the interests of justice, i.e. admitting that they had received confidential information. They didn't do that. The tribunal found them guilty. It doesn't make sense to then not impose any punishment. That will encourage other teams to cheat and it will also encourage Ferrari to pursue legal action outside the FIA. Neither of which is good for F1. So some kind of punishment is necessary. I reckon the best way of resolving this is to impose a hefty fine of a couple of million pounds on McLaren and take away all of the constructors points for this season. I would even consider docking Alonso and Lewis a few points.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 11:22 AM

Found it here. Felipe vs Fernando: The Uncensored Version - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com. They're normally quite accurate with their stories but I lolled either way.
Well, as I said, the source doesn't matter really, there is no such 'uncensored version', I don't know if other TVs followed that issue but here we saw it live and you were able to hear both of them, this was the conversation… as you can read the only nasty words came from Massa mouth who was really upset all the time but way different from that planet-f1 dot com version… what's next coming… director's cut?

Massa: You did it on purpose
Alonso: You touching me was on purpose. You broke my sidepod there..., go and have a look at it"
Massa: "Go F**k yourself! You've won and you say something like this, assh**e, you win and say something like this."
Alonso: "I fought with Heidfeld, i fought with everyone, but you can't do that."
Massa: (Touching Alonso) "Try to learn something"
Alonso: "You try to learn something"
Massa: "Try to learn something!"
Alonso: "Try to learn something, I fought with all the world today, and with 3 laps to go, we touch!"
Massa: (sitting on his chair) "Good job! Try to learn something"
Alonso: "Good job!" You try to learn something, with three laps to go and you almost finished fifth, yeah you did such a fine job"
Massa: (Standing up, sarcastic tone) "I did that on purpose, like i did that on purpose in Barcelona!"
Alonso: "Ok, ok..."
Massa: (Touching Alonso) "Try to learn something"
Massa: (Looking to someone who invite him to relax) "That's him!

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2007, 05:07 AM

Well, as I said, the source doesn't matter really, there is no such 'uncensored version', I don't know if other TVs followed that issue but here we saw it live and you were able to hear both of them, this was the conversation… as you can read the only nasty words came from Massa mouth who was really upset all the time but way different from that planet-f1 dot com version… what's next coming… director's cut?
Yeah, I've only seen the video that you're referring to but it does seem strange to invent the dialogue.

Either way, I don't see what Alonso had to complain about. Maybe he should've taken up tiddlywinks or Scrabble if he wanted a non-contact sport! His constant winging this season has really turned me off. Stating constantly that Lewis Hamilton is getting preference, that his car isn't good, that other people are interfering with him. He's the frickin' world champion. He should be able to beat a rookie team mate with no F1 experience with his hands tied behind his back ... and take a little knock on his sidepod in his stride.

So Ferrari cars taking up the top 4 positions in the World Championship now.
( Last edited by Troll; Aug 3, 2007 at 05:24 AM. )

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
The first Indy 500 was in 1911. F1 racing as we know it only dates from post-WWII, when the first World Championship was established in 1950. But any statements about "copying" ignore the fact that the two forms of racing freely borrow tech from each other and have for decades.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 08:57 AM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2007, 10:40 AM

what an asshole.

But, he got what he deserved. And so did Hamilton.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 02:52 PM

Its nice to be able to watch that clip without James Allen shouting all over it.

Latest is that Alonso is looking elsewhere for next year, and Ron Dennis won't stop him if he decides to leave.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
what an asshole.

But, he got what he deserved. And so did Hamilton.
Who is the asshole? dude, if that is concerning Alonso I fear you have no good info about what was going on… as Fernando and Felipe use to say: "You try to learn something"

Alonso was told by his team to hold on due to the team engineers're following the GPS info about the right moment to bring it to the track so he can avoid any traffic in his last flying lap.

Alonso was having a chat with the team cause the tyres they put there were NOT new as everyone and his mother would expect to achieve a pole. You can see how him looks towards Dennis & Co.

Alonso's pole lap started only 0,6 seconds before the track lights have gone RED, which means checkered flag hence session finished, so no time left to try to do a flying lap. 0,6 seconds later and he would have missed his polw which he achieved with the not new hard compound tyres. Do you really think he did it on purpose?

The issue here was that Lewis was told to let Alonso overtake him as soon as the 3rd qual round started since there were an agreement between them to Alonso be able to have an extra flying lap this weekend… McLaren uses to do it so on every track where the pole is below 1min 25secs, one time the extra lap goes to Lewis, another one goes to Alonso, this weekend it was aimed for Fernando. But Lewis didn't respect the agreement, he was told up to six times -even coming from Mr. Dennis mouth- to let Alonso overtake him, but Lewis wasn't for the idea. That was the mother of all the silly stuff happening this weekend. The media can say whatever they want, it is that magic thing dubbed free of speech… nevertheless, who in the F1 world does believe the media?, if you ever are able to read the British and spanish media you would know what I really mean.

In a nutshell… there was not a single reason to punish Fernando, that is so blatant obvious that even the official FIA resolution about it doesn't clarify why Alonso was punished. He didn't do any wrong or out of FIA's law.

On a 'funny just a joke' side, I guess the FIA could also punish Ferrari cause they mostly ****ed Massa weekend with that oh my get back not enough petrol there!! No way a valid excuse after Kimi's great performance.

And this is not coming from a spaniard 'alonsomaniac', I don't care about that kind of fanatics, once Alonso leaves McLaren they are gonna to cheer for him no matter the team, and once Alonso is done about F1 they are gonna to be done about F1 in the same way and get back to soccer… I am a McLaren fan, not a driver fan.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 04:31 PM

Oh, and as I have told countless times I want the 'classic' one driver per lap qual system right now !! LOL

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 07:16 AM

Alonso was told by his team to hold on due to the team engineers're following the GPS info about the right moment to bring it to the track so he can avoid any traffic in his last flying lap.
First off, that is the story that the Spanish media has invented. McLaren has said that it was a problem between the drivers. After the session, Ron Dennis went charging over to Alonso's Engineer, grabbed him by the arm, ripped off his headphones and gave him a talking to. He then went looking for Alonso who ducked and dived to avoid Ron Dennis. If Alonso had been acting on team orders, there would have been no reason for these reactions.

Secondly, even if what you're saying is true, then Alonso would have realised that a) there was no time to change the tyres again; and b) if he waited to change tyres OR sat around having a confab with his team, he was going to prevent his team mate from getting a lap in. The rules say:

31.6 In the event of a driving infringement during any practice session the Stewards may drop the driver such number of grid positions as they consider appropriate. Unless it is completely clear that a driver committed a driving infringement any such incident will normally be investigated after the relevant session, any penalty imposed shall not be subject to appeal. Where appropriate, regard will also be given to the provisions of Article 18.1.

31.7 Any driver taking part in any practice session who, in the opinion of the stewards, stops unnecessarily on the circuit or unnecessarily impedes another driver shall be subject to the penalties referred to in Article 31.6.

Qualifying is classed as a practice session and the pit lane is considered part of the circuit.
So, even on your own version of the facts, Alonso unnecessarily impeded Hamilton. That is an infringement of the rules. You may remember how mad you got when Schumacher did the same thing to Alonso at Monaco in 2006. Schumacher had an even better excuse for blocking Alonso during qualifying. At least he lost control of his car! I remind you that Schumacher got sent to the back of the grid. Not back 5 places but sent to the BACK of the grid. Alonso's offence was worse and yet he only goes back 5 places.
The issue here was that Lewis was told to let Alonso overtake him as soon as the 3rd qual round started
Exactly. That IS the issue. Alonso believed that he had been hindered by Hamilton and so he was going to get his own back by blocking Hamilton.

Alonso, the world champion is being beaten by a guy in the same car who has no experience in Formula 1. That is very embarassing and very irritating for Alonso. The prospect of being beaten by his own team mate is now very real. Alonso has been trying to pull rank on Hamilton from the start. He thinks that because he is the World Champion, his team mate's only role should be to help Alonso win. He doesn't want equal treatment in the team - he wants special treatment.
In a nutshell… there was not a single reason to punish Fernando, that is so blatant obvious that even the official FIA resolution about it
There is no FIA resolution about it. He was punished by the race stewards not the FIA.
( Last edited by Troll; Aug 7, 2007 at 09:50 AM. )

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
The first Indy 500 was in 1911. F1 racing as we know it only dates from post-WWII, when the first World Championship was established in 1950. But any statements about "copying" ignore the fact that the two forms of racing freely borrow tech from each other and have for decades.
The modern era of Formula One Grand Prix racing began in 1950, but the roots of F1 are far earlier, tracing to the pioneering road races in France in the 1890s.

Source Formula One History - F1 Origins

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:14 AM

First off, that is the story that the Spanish media has invented.
You sure?, what spanish media invented was the nasty words from Lewis to Ron Dennis, there is no way I am gonna to believe that bullshit being true no matter how upset Lewis was at such moment.

After the session, Ron Dennis went charging over to Alonso's Engineer, grabbed him by the arm, ripped off his headphones and gave him a talking to. He then went looking for Alonso who ducked and dived to avoid Ron Dennis. If Alonso had been acting on team orders, there would have been no reason for these reactions.
That guy isn't Alonso's engineer but Alonso's italian fisio, and that reaction came cause someone thought that italian guy was letting Alonso know about how much he could delay his pit stop.

Alonso hindered Hamilton. That is an infringement of the rules. You may remember how mad you got when Schumacher did the same thing to Alonso at Monaco in 2006.
Again, I am not Alonso's advocate, do you really think I like current McLaren scenario with all my damn country yelling at McLaren, Ron Dennis and Norbert Haug where the nicest words are this team is pure sh*t, F1 doesn't deserve such a team, yadda, yadda…??

Your comparison is not fair, neither true. Even when Alonso did it on purpose, there is not infringement of the rules. There is not a single rule that states a driver has to be able to complete a certain number of laps during qual.

Exactly. That IS the issue. Alonso believed that he had been hindered by Hamilton and so he was going to get his own back by blocking Hamilton. Thing is Hamilton's hindrance was within the rules and Alonso's wasn't.
At first I went mad cause I though Alonso did it on purpose, I even count the seconds from the lollipop guy giving the OK until Alonso went back to the track… nine damn seconds, but hey, the Team clarified the issue later in front of the media. I DON'T BELIEVE the media EVER, but I have to believe the Team.

In motor racing, the real competition is between team mates in each team. You get ahead by proving that with the same equipment you're better than the other guy. It's never nice being beaten by your team mate but when you're the World Champion and your team mate is a rookie and he's beating you, that qualifies as full scale war on your ego. What's happening here for Alonso is the absolute worst case scenario - he's being beaten by a guy in the same car who has no experience in Formula 1.
I have heard that coming from you before and I don't care about commenting it… I don't care in the sense that is just true so there is no reason to deny it. Hamilton is a heck of a driver, I did follow ALL the 2006 GP2 season JUST for watching Lewis. The guy is a Ron protégée for a good reason !!

Alonso thinks that because he is the World Champion, his team mate's only role should be to help Alonso win. He doesn't want equal treatment in the team - he wants special treatment. If you support McLaren, then one thing you should support is their equal opportunity policy.
Exactly, McLaren have always given equal opportunity policy to their drivers, Senna, Prost, Mika, David, Kimi, Juan Pablo could speak about it. E.G. there was a gentlemen agreement between Mika and David where the first guy at the first or second corner of the track would win the race when the Mac was clearly the best car on the track. None of them break such agreement, Mika was so superior to David, like Kimi was to Juan Pablo… it seems like Lewis did break it this weekend.

There is no FIA resolution about it. He was punished by the race stewards not the FIA.
A spaniard FIA steward, Joaquim Verdegay read the resolution and he was unable to find a single mention for Alonso's punishment. So they punish Alonso exactly for what?, and why the punish towards McLaren not getting any constructors points this weekend… is that a delayed punish due to the spy issue?, one has to wonder, huh? LOL

So we are here again with damn politics fuc**ng the F1 over and over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules