Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your broken bones and serious injuries

Your broken bones and serious injuries (Page 2)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 3, 2007, 01:43 PM

When I broke my ankle it didn't feel like much of anything. When I tried to put weight on it it hurt. You're not missing much.

Yose
Senior User
Nov 3, 2007, 01:56 PM

Snapped my left arm in two in grade 7, it rotated 360degree around during the break so almost looked normal except for the grossly stretched skin. (fell off a building)
Bruised the left half of my body during a MTB biking accident to the point I couldn't walk for days.
Sliced my toe open with an exacto blade.
Given myself a concussion by not getting out of the way of a boom while sailing.
The last wasn't really an injury- but I almost died from……… Mono. My tonsils/adnoids swelled to the point where my airways were all but blocked. Took a shock treatment of dexamethisone to bring it down. I started a new job a week later- it was crazy!
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 3, 2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Yose View Post
Sliced my toe open with an exacto blade.
I didn't mention my nice little thumb slice with an Exacto because I didn't think it was terribly singular, but your TOE? You gotta fess up: how did you do that?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Yose
Senior User
Nov 3, 2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I didn't mention my nice little thumb slice with an Exacto because I didn't think it was terribly singular, but your TOE? You gotta fess up: how did you do that?
Stupidity. I was trimming my nails and too lazy to find my clippers. (I do a lot of production mockups, I figured I was good enough with a blade………………nope)

…Usually I tell people I dropped it when working barefoot, it's a damn dirty lie though.
Yose.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 10:26 PM

Uhmmm, I stick with the lie.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Yose
Senior User
Nov 4, 2007, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Uhmmm, I stick with the lie.
uhh… yeah. Thats the plan.
Yose.

vexborg
Senior User
Nov 5, 2007, 05:37 AM

Broke my foot after a long session in front of my computer - I was sitting there playing a game, while having my legs crossed, after a while my right leg and foot started to sleep...

I didn't really think anything of it, and got up to get a beer from my fridge. The first step ended up in me slamming my foot into the floor so hard that a bone broke in my foot!

Not a nice sound at all - sort of snapping a dry piece of wood.
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 05:49 AM

Boys don't cross their legs

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

vexborg
Senior User
Nov 5, 2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Boys don't cross their legs
Obviously I do (or rather did), not doing that stunt anymore...

Oh scars! I've got plenty of those...

Left tumb, Y-shaped scar after playing with a very sharp knife. Left index finger 3 scars after trying to get a fishing hook removed from some carpet - yes, it came out, and directly into my finger...

Right kneecap, scar after getting a tentpeg into the kneecap.

Chin, 3 scars after being drunk on bicycle - and riding into a pair of steps...

2 long scars inside my mouth at the lower jaw due to having my jaw broken 4 places and moved forward 10 mm... Try living on soup for 4 weeks!
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

OreoCookie
Nov 5, 2007, 06:47 AM

(1) I broke my leg at judo practice, my partner didn't master the kata guruma after all.
(2) Another judo accident: I fell the wrong way again and completely tore my meniscus in two different places. The surgery was supposed to take 30-45 minutes, but took an hour and a half instead. The doctor was very `proud' of me.
(3) Bike accident in Japan: a big scar the size of a dollar coin still remains visible to this day. (My Japanese teacher almost lost consciousness when she saw the wound -- she asked why I wanted to go to the bathroom … )
(4) Another mountain bike accident (can you see the pattern? ): two years ago, my front wheel on my old mountain bike slipped on a lose rock in a curve, so my hands and my leg decelerated the bike from 30 to 0 in no time. I have scars on both hands (the ones of the left are very clearly visible, about 2-2.5 cm long and 1 cm wide) and I had the bursa (the spongy tissue that surrounds the joints) on my right knee removed.
(5) Four weeks ago, I had another bike accident. A car passed me and then the driver decided to slam the breaks -- so did I. Consequently I flipped over the bike. I was so damn lucky that (i) I always wear a helmet and (ii) that very little actually happened. I have a few broken ribs, a torn ligament on my left shoulder and just a bruised right hand. (I was really lucky that my right hand wasn't broken, otherwise I would have spent the next 8-12 weeks in a cast). Thanks to moderate sports (swimming), my shoulder is healing just fine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by vexborg View Post
2 long scars inside my mouth at the lower jaw due to having my jaw broken 4 places and moved forward 10 mm... Try living on soup for 4 weeks!
I've been there before. The surgery was planned but it still puts you through the same recovery process. The following year I was back on the wrestling team.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 01:05 PM

11 stitches over my left eye from riding a pushbike into the corner of a wall at around age 6. Scar breaks the eyebrow in a really cool way.

Broken right forearm from playing silly at about age 14. I actually went to school for three days and wrote with it before realising it wasn't just a sprain and deciding it'd probably be a good idea to trot off down to the doctors. Yes, I'm that hard.

Had my right heel ripped off in a motorbike accident in late teens. It's back on now, with another really cool scar.

Oh, and several thousand cat scratches all over me. Ted ripped a big flap of skin off my calf the other day, for example. He's just playing but his claws would frighten Wolverine.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2007, 01:12 PM

4 years of varsity football, 4 years of varsity wrestling, 3 years of karate, and enough daring to be a major contender for the cast of jackass... not a single major injury.

A few stitches and a few sprains, but nothing serious or worth mentioning.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 01:40 PM

that explains a lot rr. thank you for posting

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2007, 01:56 PM

why?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 01:58 PM

Why does Brass follow you around everywhere?

I'm not your best friend by any means, RR, but it seems like he has a bag of chips on his shoulder.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

I'm not your best friend by any means, RR, but it seems like he has a bag of chips on his shoulder.
I don't know. Glad to see someone else has noticed.

I forgot one semi-major injury. I was coming down some stairs with a little bit of snow on them, slipped and twisted my ankle under me. Swelled up nearly instantly to the size of a cantaloupe. It hurt like crazy and I couldn't put weight on it for a couple weeks without severe pain. I was an RA in the dorm at the time and it was very inconvenient.

Doc said that it would have hurt less if I had broken it than how I had sprained it. I don't know how that could be true. Anyone able to explain what he meant?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 5, 2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

Because brass is trying to be just like besson.

hart
Senior User
Nov 5, 2007, 03:22 PM

I have remarkably few injuries for what I've done. I spent my whole childhood on cliffs, in caves and up trees. Then inline skating and kayaking as an adult but no broken bones or anything, knock on wood.

I got several injuries that give me the creeps still even tho they weren't that serious. At about 17 I sliced across the top of my index finger by turning a sponge around the inside of a glass with the top broken off (unbeknownst to me.) Raised a big flap of skin that had to be stitched down. I'm still cautious washing glasses all these years later.

I got the other two in that font of danger, fashion school. I sewed through my finger with an industrial sewing machine more than once and for super icky I knitted my finger into a knitting machine (hand knit machines use little nasty hooks to catch the yarn.) I can always remember when to get tetanus shot because I date it from the year I was at that school.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2007, 03:42 PM

Try as I may I've never broken any of my own bones.

I did however break some guys rib while playing football, and I snapped another kids collarbone after he threw a water balloon at me in high school.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 05:46 PM

Broke my neck last summer. I was the passenger in a car I shouldn't have been in. Long story short, we were going too fast, hit some gravel, flipped the car about 12 times, I got thrown, and ended up shattering 4 vertebrae in my neck and my spinal corded shifted slightly. I was paralyzed from the neck down for about 12 hours. Two bone fusion surgeries later and a spinal cord position reset and I was on the road to recovery. One year and four months later, I'm back to my normal life as if nothing had ever happened (lifting weights, long distance running, playing basketball, etc.). I've got a few crazy scars and some big hardware in my neck, but other than that, all is going well!
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 06:10 PM

Wow! Glad you're okay!

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 06:32 PM

Thanks bro!

Drinking and driving and not wearing a seat belt is reeeeeeeeeally stupid!
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Because brass is trying to be just like besson.
There can be only one!

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 09:54 PM

Thank God.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules