Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > when will we see a new redesigned MBP?

when will we see a new redesigned MBP?
nycdunz
Senior User
Jun 16, 2008, 11:40 AM

I've been waiting for the past two years. My 1st generation 17" pbook g4 is barely hanging in there.

I've been waiting for a redesigned MBP. Was hoping it would be out at this past WWDC, but no.

Do you guys think we will have updated MBP soon? Or am I safe to buy one now knowing that the MBP won't be updated for awhile?

OreoCookie
Jun 16, 2008, 12:06 PM

According to macrumor's Buyer's Guide, they're in mid-cycle and on average you'd have to wait for about 3 months or so until new models are released -- although it could be longer. They use the times between updates as a measure (which is very accurate).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
I've been waiting for the past two years. My 1st generation 17" pbook g4 is barely hanging in there
There's no guarantee that Apple will redesign the MBP. Based on the fact that you're limping along with a PB G4, I suggest you that you bite the bullet and buy a new one. Why wait for something that might not appear for years to come [the redesign that is].

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Jun 16, 2008, 02:04 PM

I see, i appreciate your advice. But what about the new penryn with faster FSB. I think its the Motevina Centrinos? Worth to wait for that at least?

I know the FSB now on the mbp are 800mhz @ 2.5 or 2.6ghz... not sure if the new revision of the processor will make that much of a difference in order for me to wait another 3 or more months.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
I see, i appreciate your advice. But what about the new penryn with faster FSB. I think its the Motevina Centrinos? Worth to wait for that at least?.
Only you can answer that question. If you are able do get your work done with your current machine, and there's been no problems and you can live with the current performance of your PB then sure wait. If you're starting to have hardware glitches, or performance is impacting your productivity then it makes less sense.

There will always be a faster computer coming around the corner. If you need one now, get one now, if you can wait, then maybe you should wait.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 01:06 PM

Updated case? Anyone who knows isn't talking.

Updated internals? July or August, with the new Cantiga chipset (faster FSB, faster/lower power RAM, etc) and probably 2.8Ghz at the top.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 03:45 PM

Like mduell, I'm betting on next month or August. I think possibly July 22nd. But an updated case is probably very far off. Honestly, not a lot of improvements can be made to the current MBP.

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2008, 03:55 PM

There was rumors that the new updated case for the MBP would look like the new iMacs, with black all around the screen. Like others have said, you would go mad trying to play the guessing game. It just comes down to your personal need.

Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2008, 05:01 PM

Would these updated internals be released like the February update, in conjunction with the Macbook? or is that still slated towards Fall? Has Apple ever updated a system while they have a special deal out for it?

diacidic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2008, 03:16 PM

I, too, am also curious if Apple has released a fall update during the Back to School promotion. I'm looking at the new MB's for a friend. The waiting isn't a problem, but not getting the free iPod touch is. So, if they've never done the updates until after the back to school promotions were over, then I'll say don't bother waiting, but if there's a decent chance at all of an update, then waiting will be fine.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 25, 2008, 04:06 PM

I also agree with mduell's post. I think that they might update the internals sometime soon, but I wouldn't hold my breath on a new updated case. =[

calverson
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 08:56 AM

There is an iPod/Mac Book Pro special on at the moment, and I heard (read) in some other threads that there usually is an update in MacBook Pro's after promotions such as this one.

As I am sure you have read, the MBP is an old design by now, in terms of Apple's lifecyles of its designs.

I expect to see a new Macbook Pro, with slighly tapered edges, imporved iSight and HOPEFULLY BLU-RAY in the next 6 months.

This will align with the release of the new Macbooks, which will be aluminum.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules