Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad: Justifiable Reasons to Purchase one

iPad: Justifiable Reasons to Purchase one (Page 3)
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Life is good. Now all I need is a decent text editor for that thing and I'll yank out my credit card
Word processor or raw text editor?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I'm gonna buy one for my car. Seriously.
That would be interesting if you could put it in-dash.. BUT there is no GPS(right?) just a compass.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Are you on crack ?

If you work in an office every day, a netbook is not an option neither.

Nobody here defended the iPad as a productivity tool.

-t
I did, actually. I think the iPad can be a useful productivity tool. Will everyone want to replace their desktop? No, I don't think so. But I think some people can be quite productive with the apps that will come out for iPad. If you think people can't possibly be productive without a mouse, I think you're not thinking hard enough. That's the only necessary difference between apps for this and apps for the desktop.
Chuck
___

NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2010, 03:28 PM

If only it could run Mac OS X so that I could load Parallels with Win XP on it. I would be switching from my MBA to iPad in a split second.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 03:29 PM

Thinking about my in-dash comment... that could render a good bit of features useless. Accelerometer for example. It would just be a cool novelty.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by NeverTriedApple View Post
If only it could run Mac OS X so that I could load Parallels with Win XP on it. I would be switching from my MBA to iPad in a split second.

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 28, 2010, 03:44 PM

I'm gonna buy one for my car. Seriously.
Given your track record, I'd say that's a poor decision.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 03:48 PM

Can't let it go...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:56 PM

You still couldn't do that. Windows XP doesn't run on the A4.
Chuck
___

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I did, actually. I think the iPad can be a useful productivity tool.
Ok, but that's a completely different line of reasoning.

YOU say: the iPad *can* be used as a productivity tool, in addition to its purpose of a content consumption tool

EUG made it sound like it's useless, because it can NOT be reasonably used as a productivity tool.

Maybe I misunderstood what Eug was saying (I still don't get his Office with upper case "O").

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 04:13 PM

He's talking about the Microsoft Office suite rather than "an office."
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ok, but that's a completely different line of reasoning.

YOU say: the iPad *can* be used as a productivity tool, in addition to its purpose of a content consumption tool

EUG made it sound like it's useless, because it can NOT be reasonably used as a productivity tool.
Actually, what I said is that it's near useless for grandma because it doesn't have Flash.

You are totally confused.

Maybe I misunderstood what Eug was saying (I still don't get his Office with upper case "O").
MS Office. I was just asking if he had any need for it on his laptop. ie. What does he use his laptop for?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 04:24 PM

Ahh, I see. My bad.

-t

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Can't let it go...
That's what she said about my tablet

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Given your track record, I'd say that's a poor decision.
Given your track record, I'd say posting is a poor decision, but you continue to do it anyway.

--

The more I look at the iPad, the more I like the idea of having it in my car to control music playback and function as the nav system. The fact that it's a giant iPod touch makes it perfect for the job, and the 3G version will even do the pandora streaming I want without any extra work... Hopefully I can take it out of that ginormous bezel without much trouble.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Life is good. Now all I need is a decent text editor for that thing and I'll yank out my credit card
Is iWork good enough?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That said, Apple thinks it's a productivity tool, as they're pushing iWork on the iPad, and even have a VGA dongle for it for presentations.
You make a Keynote presentation on your desktop/laptop and load it on your iPad. Take iPad along (rather than your laptop) to give presentation. Need to make a quick change to your presentation on the go? You can do that.

I don't think Apple is expecting the iPad to be a "productivity tool". The iWorks apps are there to buy if you want/need them. Not everyone will.

No one in there right mind is going to use an iPad as their primary device to make presentations, spreadsheets, or Pages documents from scratch. Just as no one in their right mind would use an iPad as their primary device for editing iPhoto photos. But if I have made a presentation, Pages document, or spreadsheet on my laptop/desktop, I can take it with me, view it, and/or edit it on the iPad if I need/want to.

Some people NEED a laptop for productivity on the go. THIS IS NOT A LAPTOP REPLACEMENT and wasn't intended to be.

OreoCookie
Jan 28, 2010, 06:13 PM

Word processor or raw text editor?
A raw text editor for LaTeX. I'm a TextMate junkie.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Nope, not yet. Cheers for that info. Thats the last piece of the puzzle that i needed.... next step i'll be downloading the SDK and begin inventing

Yay!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 09:17 PM

Microsoft Office:
Isnt Microsoft making a version of that for the iPhone/iPad ? When will the OpenOffice guys get their act together ?(I hope Apple doesnt get cocky and block other office suites due to "duplicate functionality" or some other BS)

Text Editor:
Sounds like a job for an App developer imo

Bezel:
At first i too thought the bezel was too thick, but then i pictured the device with the bezel of my MacBook(Unibody)...and realized that it would be annoying to hold, as my hand would cover up some content.

Flash:
Email the websites that still use thiis POS technology and get them onto the H.264&HTML5 bandwagon. Instead of bickering to Apple to support an inferior technology, talk to the content-providers to use a better technology.(The reason i HATE flash is because ever since my iMac G3, Adobe stuck us Mac users with a pathetic implementation of Flash that sucks to this day...now they find themselves cut out of the loop from the most popular consumer-electronics company ?...serves them right, they can continue to support WinMo(where they can compete with Microsoft's SilverLight), or Android)

To the guy who wants to put XP on the iPad.... please....leave

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 09:43 PM

As a Java program, OpenOffice.org can't easily be ported to the iPhone. iPhone apps have to be written for the Objective-C runtime and Cocoa Touch libraries. This would essentially mean rewriting OpenOffice from scratch.
Chuck
___

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 11:14 PM

I hear so many people complaining about the lack of OS X and multitasking. While these are valid complaints, it's not like we're completely left out. After all, there is a Mac-based tablet that is full featured - the ModBook. You can run Parallels on this and watch Hulu at the same time.

Modbook - The first and only tablet Mac computer solution! - Other World Computing

Axiotron : Modbook

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
That would be interesting if you could put it in-dash.. BUT there is no GPS(right?) just a compass.
It's got GPS, part of the draw for me (in terms of an in-car solution).

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 28, 2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
I hear so many people complaining about the lack of OS X and multitasking. While these are valid complaints, it's not like we're completely left out. After all, there is a Mac-based tablet that is full featured - the ModBook. You can run Parallels on this and watch Hulu at the same time.

Modbook - The first and only tablet Mac computer solution! - Other World Computing

Axiotron : Modbook

It's also $3,000. PLUS a macbook pro. Not really realistic to spend 4 grand on a ****ing tablet.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 12:16 AM

I just had a brilliant idea! Install an iPad in place of my license plates (both front and rear), that way when I get caught speeding, I can race away and change my plates... wirelessly.

Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 01:20 AM

As a Java program, OpenOffice.org can't easily be ported to the iPhone. iPhone apps have to be written for the Objective-C runtime and Cocoa Touch libraries. This would essentially mean rewriting OpenOffice from scratch.
One could possibly compile the Java to machine-code. It doesn't have to be bytecode.

Unity does something similar to run C# on the iPhone (hence, getting around Apple's rules about running arbitrary code).

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 02:00 AM

Oops. Wrong thread.

While I'm here.

How about home automation or home surveillance.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 02:20 AM

Been done on the iPhone already. I see no reason it couldn't be on the iPad.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I'm completely on the fence with the iPad....
Pros:
-Awesome media-consumption device. huge screen, decent battery life, and almost comparable to the stuff i need from a portable machine/device.
-Closed system, limits complexity.
-large app library that will undoubtedly grow grow to accommodate this new device.
-Price.... most will complain about it being too high(cause it's not free). to to have a portable of this caliber at this price from this company is awesome imo.

Cons:
-can't do more than what my iPhone can today (apart from the bigger screen)
-Productivity/media-creation seems way too limited for this device.
-Closed system(yes i know)...i think it's a little too closed.
-No file system access...there needs to be a way to manage a local store of files ... "Hawkeye's iPad Home" folder accessible to the apps on the iPad and when plugged into your computer. With a mobile version of Office and iWork, where will these apps store your files ? i think the current way of storing them inside the App bundle is convoluted and unnecessarily complicated for end-users, not to mention a hassle to manage...and an unnecessary burdeon for developers to manage(imo).
-So i have an iPhone...to get data-anywhere i need to get another plan ? Why not have a USB port and be able to tether the iPad to the iPhone ?
-Keynote ? How about a Mnin Display Port ?
-Pages ? how about ability to print ?

At the end of the day, it's a super-sized iPhone/iTouch. it's nice and the price is right.
I mostly agree with everything you wrote here, Hawkeye. Aside from the extra level of functionality gained from the larger screen, faster speed and the 3G option, it's a large iPod touch. Already owning more than one capable laptop and a touch, the choice to get an iPad at this point seems to come down to whether or not I ever see myself getting a smartphone or more specifically, an iPhone. If I decide to stay with a dumb cell, then I can easily see myself getting a 2G or later iPad with 3G so that I can have an Internet capable device with me at all times. If I were to get a smartphone, I'd be less likely to get an iPad. That leads me to assume that the iPad could cannibalize some iPhone or iTouch sales.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jan 29, 2010 at 06:57 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I mostly agree with everything you wrote here, Hawkeye. Aside from the extra level of functionality gained from the larger screen, faster speed and the 3G option, it's a large iPod touch. Already owning more than one capable laptop and a touch, the choice to get an iPad at this point seems to come down to whether or not I ever see myself getting a smartphone or more specifically, an iPhone. If I decide to stay with a dumb cell, then I can easily see myself getting a 2G or later iPad with 3G so that I can have an Internet capable device with me at all times. If I were to get a smartphone, I'd be less likely to get an iPad. That leads me to assume that the iPad could cannibalize some iPhone or iTouch sales.
Thats been playing on my mind as well. I'm on a MacBook+iPhone at the moment, and the only thing id gain from getting an iPad is a bit more portability(smaller and lighter) device.

Is it worth it to move to a iMac+iPad+iPhone..... im not entirely sure. At this moment it seems like a very cool appliance to have, but i cant see it *adding* anything to my current setup. but then again it's "only" $499.

I think the apps are what will get me to make the move in the end. like i said before, if there's a shared folder(i think there is) accessible to apps and apps that can read/write to this space for a more productive 'tool' i will consider it...... and i think for the moment i'll wait for the 2G version cause i know it will probably have a web-cam for video-chat (Apple screwed me with Firewire when i got the original unibody MacBook..... not going to make that mistake again).

Cheers

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 09:03 AM

Also, about multi-tasking.... while i dont think the lack of this feature is a deal-breaker, i still think what Palm has implemented in their WebOS with the deck-of-cards metaphor is ahead of what Apple has delivered with the iPhoneOS. it would have been nice to see something better than that on the iPad imo.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 09:20 AM

My iPhone 3G is out of contract now, I'm on SIM only until whenever the new one comes out. My Macbook rarely leaves my desk, and really barely ever leaves the house. I've got other things planned this year, but if I do get an iPad, the Macbook would be gone to get a desktop Mac instead. iPhone + iPad + Desktop makes more sense than iPhone + iPad + Macbook.

Would anybody junk their iPhone to get an iPad and a non Apple phone? Then you'd still have the apps carried over to the iPad.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 09:46 AM

I think the iPad will be an awesome device for students. I can see school systems buying each student an iPad and saving plenty of dough over against buying laptops.

Personally, I see the iPad as a great eReader/web browser for myself, with gaming as a bonus. That's worth $500 right there. I haven't found either a laptop or my iPhone to be quite right for book reading. Functional, but not ideal.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
My iPhone 3G is out of contract now, I'm on SIM only until whenever the new one comes out. My Macbook rarely leaves my desk, and really barely ever leaves the house. I've got other things planned this year, but if I do get an iPad, the Macbook would be gone to get a desktop Mac instead. iPhone + iPad + Desktop makes more sense than iPhone + iPad + Macbook.

Would anybody junk their iPhone to get an iPad and a non Apple phone? Then you'd still have the apps carried over to the iPad.
Ditching a single device to move to two separate devices doesn't make much sense to me. The iPad is too big to carry around all the time, so you would lose a lot of functionality as well.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Not a chance. The important apps like email, calendaring, contacts, etc. I need are in the iPhone. Why would I want to carry around a 1.5 lb 10" iPod touch too?

The problem is that with most non-Apple phones, the support on Macs for iCal and Contacts, etc. usually sucks.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 10:39 AM

It's got GPS, part of the draw for me (in terms of an in-car solution).
Wow. That would be sweet then! If you truly do it you need to make a build thread.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 10:50 AM

Hey I'm a "Grizzled Veteran" now.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Not a chance. The important apps like email, calendaring, contacts, etc. I need are in the iPhone. Why would I want to carry around a 1.5 lb 10" iPod touch too?

The problem is that with most non-Apple phones, the support on Macs for iCal and Contacts, etc. usually sucks.
Me either. I have an iPhone for everyday portability. I use it to check email, light web-browsing, games, calender, some music on the go, etc. This will not change when I get an iPad.

What will change is my use of my laptop. I use it at home in the family room and when I travel. No more. My iPad will be my go to device for web-browsing, book reading, email, games, etc. at home and when I travel. No more lugging around a 5-6 lb. laptop through airports.

Only time iPad will leave the house is when I go on vacation. I believe this is the intended use of the iPad: 1) a device for around the house to check email, browse the web, read books, play music and games, etc. (better than an iPhone or iPod Touch in all of these areas) AND 2) a light, portable device to take with you on vacation instead of a laptop (better than a laptop for this use UNLESS you need the laptop for producitivity while traveling).

I finally got around to watching the entire Keynote and I was more impressed than I was after reading live feeds during the event. I am VERY excited to see what developers can/will do with iPad-specific apps.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 11:15 AM

I don't know if I could get rid of my laptop. Sure I use it for iPad-type things, but what do I do when I want to code on the road?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 29, 2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Thinking about my in-dash comment... that could render a good bit of features useless. Accelerometer for example. It would just be a cool novelty.
Nonsense, the accelerometer could still be used to measure your car's performance. Check the mp3car.com forums, I have seen a couple 10" touchscreen builds done right.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 12:18 PM

For me it is ideal.

At the moment I have got rid of my Mac Pro which I used for work, and have replaced it with a MacBook Alu with an external screen and keyboard. I cart it back and forth all the time to work, and it has been awesome.

I use my iPhone for checking the news, browsing the net when I don't want to use a laptop. I find I use it pretty much all the time when I am reading websites in bed, or in front of the TV, it is just perfect for this. However, I struggle with the screen size and resolution, and my eyes kill me.

The iPad (awful name, my wife said it sounds like a female sanitary product), will be perfect. I can sit in bed and read a book, watch a video, browse the web, write an email or 2, without needing my laptop, and without having to struggle to see the screen.

When viewed as a person media viewer, I think it fits a perfect niche.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
To the guy who wants to put XP on the iPad.... please....leave
To the guy who didn't get the joke... please... lighten up

-t

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
It's also $3,000. PLUS a macbook pro. Not really realistic to spend 4 grand on a ****ing tablet.
Really? The OWC website says $1639 for base model, or your MacBook + $629 for modification. Those are MacBook Pro prices.

Granted, upgrades will take those numbers upwards, but even the base models seem ridiculously more feature-rich than the iPad.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001 View Post
One could possibly compile the Java to machine-code. It doesn't have to be bytecode.

Unity does something similar to run C# on the iPhone (hence, getting around Apple's rules about running arbitrary code).
Yes, but no such tool exists to compile Java for the iPhone and bridge it to Cocoa.
Chuck
___

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 02:33 PM

Yes, but no such tool exists to compile Java for the iPhone and bridge it to Cocoa.
Well, if the demand is there...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2010, 02:47 PM

Build it and they will come.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 08:13 PM

...except that OpenOffice isn't Java. NeoOffice uses Java for basic window management, and OOo uses a tiny bit of Java here and there (example: their wizards are Java-based), but otherwise they're both 98% C and C++ code.

That being said, they still probably won't be ported any time soon. They'd still have to have their UIs rewritten using CocoaTouch, and from what I've heard, their UI is very tightly coupled to their backend, and would require a massive amount of work to swap in an entirely new interface. Hey, that sounds really familiar... *cough cough*

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Cold Warrior
Jan 29, 2010, 09:57 PM

Has anyone mentioned kids & car trips as another justifiable reason? Seems like a pad or two would keep them well-engaged with movies and games far better than small screens in seat backs.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 10:44 PM

I was thinking the same thing. They need to make some sort of way to lock it down into safe mode so that people can't get to anything beyond approved apps... no changing any settings or moving anything, etc... no way to mess anything up... then it would be good for kids, or for use in schools, etc...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2010, 03:26 AM

I think it will be a nice upgrade from my 1st gen iPod Touch. But after getting that 1st gen and seeing the upgrades in the 2nd gen, I may wait for the 2nd gen iPad to come out. I most likely won't be able to wait that long and will end up getting it after it has been out after a month or two.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Forum Links
Forum Rules