Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > BlackBerry 10 software includes improved Hub, work apps

BlackBerry 10 software includes improved Hub, work apps
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 30, 2013, 01:30 PM

The BlackBerry 10 operating system has been demonstrated heavily at the BlackBerry global launch event. Shown on the company's two new smartphones, new features of the software were shown on-stage, including a number of lifestyle applications for communication, as well as work-centric apps.

Central to the operating system was the BlackBerry Hub, where notifications from social networks and apps appeared, described on-stage as "It's like a universal inbox on steroids." A swipe to the right brought out a "peak" view of the hub, which will allow users to stay within applications to enter the hub, without needing to quit them beforehand. BlackBerry Messenger's video calling was demonstrated on-stage, as well as its Screenshare feature, which allows callers to show what is on their screen to the other participant. The Time Shift Camera was also demonstrated, and images from it, the picture editor app, and videos can be stitched together into a mixed-media slideshow that can then be shared on social networks. Work application BlackBerry Remember will help organize files, notes and tasks about specific subjects, with messages and various other bits of information flaggable as part of a specific folder, and is integrated directly into the BlackBerry Hub. BlackBerry Balance will allow work-specific apps to be kept separate from personal ones, effectively changing what is available to the user when they are or are not working. The virtual keyboard found on the BlackBerry Z10 has also seen some improvements. The previously-previewed keyboard has a word-predition function, where correct words can be selected on the keyboard and put straight into the line of text. Gestures can also be used to add punctuation to a text string, and one gesture can also trigger a change in the language being typed by the user.

singalong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2013, 07:09 AM

Looking forward to getting the Z10 tomorrow The concept of no home button and the hub is intriguing

thinkman
Apr 2, 2013, 08:35 PM

The two videos in this story couldn't be more obscure. I'm guessing it takes more than a minute and a half to really explain them, but it seems to me from the mini-preview, these things are pretty obscure to the point of being useless? Question mark because I really don't know! Exclamation point because I really don't care.

thinkman
Apr 2, 2013, 08:39 PM

"Fresh-Faced Recruit - Joined: Jan 2005". I'd expect that 7+ years would make me an Electonista Geezer" ツ Though most people think I look at least 10 years younger than I am. I'm 173 years old!

Forum Links
Forum Rules