Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > AT&T adding Wi-Fi calling to network in 2015, claims executive

AT&T adding Wi-Fi calling to network in 2015, claims executive
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 12, 2014, 02:17 PM

AT&T will be bringing Wi-Fi calling to its network, though customers will have to wait until 2015. The president and CEO of AT&T's Mobile and Business Solutions group Ralph de la Vega claimed that the technology will be made available to customers, but not until the carrier has worked to prevent calls from dropping on the service.

"We're very focused on making sure it's a great experience for customers, but we see it as a complement, not a replacement," said de la Vega according to Light Reading. The CEO suggested the carrier didn't feel the need to rush to Wi-Fi calling to extend its cellular network further, adding "We feel good about a great nationwide network with unlimited talk and text." AT&T is relatively slow to take up the technology, with both Sprint and T-Mobile already providing it to subscribers.

The comments come after Apple advised on Tuesday that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus would have support for Wi-Fi calling, something previously revealed would be added as part of iOS 8. A later event from T-Mobile saw the carrier pushing for its customers to use Wi-Fi calling, providing free Wi-Fi routers to eligible customers, advising that all smartphones sold by the company in the future will support Wi-Fi calling, and that it would short-cycle its Jump program to allow customers to upgrade their devices to a phone with Wi-Fi calling support.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2014, 03:02 PM

I had TMO for several years, and Wi-Fi calling worked well. It will be good to get it with AT&T.

climacs
Senior User
Sep 12, 2014, 05:48 PM

it would be a beautiful thing if someday Apple could completely replace these scumbag carriers and their extortionate charges.

climacs
Senior User
Sep 12, 2014, 05:53 PM

in fact, I suspect wi-fi calling is why the carriers have quit trying to sell you buckets of minutes and instead are doing their best to move everyone to a fee-per-device plan, the fees for which they can then jack up over time regardless of how much or how little time you spend actually using their cell towers vs. wifi. I still have a grandfathered 450 peak minutes/unlimited data for $30 plan on AT&T and I will give it up over my dead body...

FastiBook
Sep 13, 2014, 08:21 PM

Same here w/ phone plan, climacs. However, It has been 8 years and the dead spot my house is in the middle of still not resolved. One utility pole mounted antenna would completely fill the gap.
Fact is better than fiction.

Forum Links
Forum Rules