Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > What makes you a Mac Gamer?

What makes you a Mac Gamer?
Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2001, 11:12 PM

Hi there,

I've been a Mac gamer since the beginning, and I must say that it's gone through a lot of changes. But what I would like to ask is what makes you a Mac gamer? How long have you been playing? Do you also have a GHz PC playing Tribes 2 or are you happily playing Solitaire on a Mac Plus? I know we have been through a lot, decline of gaming in periods, cancellation of Half-Life, etc. So what makes you stick with a Mac?

For me, it's the quality of the games. They are few and far between, but some are very worth it!

I really enjoy Quake 3. It's quick, fun and easy, but for me it falls down when it comes to the story-line. Ok, so I will just accept it as multi only, but I still want some meat in a story. Baldur's Gate was pretty good, but you could see where the story was leading just about as soon as you started...and the ending movie was horrible! Rune was the same way...it took so long to reach the end, and the end movie was such a let down!

I think back to Dark Castle and enjoyed it's arcade feel (secret Christmas touch) and it's little ending. Now you can't expect a full FMV ending, but the entire game felt well put together.

I was disappointed by Bungie's latest outings..Oni and Halo. Oni, was supposed to be the go anywhere..do anything..rough and tumble mainly game...not the gun-fest..follow the bad guy game it turned out to be. And now Halo..which was going to be the Mac's greatest achievement is being shaped in to X-Box fodder. What a difference compared to the Marathon trilogy.

Another great aspect of Mac gaming is shareware...there are numerous great titles, but for me, I really enjoy anything from Ambrosia. Ok Ok, Moki, if you are reading, you might find in your records that I only registered Apeiron..but your new products look outstanding, and I'll be sure to register Pop-Pop, POG, and EV:N! I look at Centipede, and chuckle, because there is no way it can give me an ounce as much pleasure as those psychedelic shrooms in Apeiron! But isn't it amazing how something as simple as shareware can be so good? I mean the story lines in Escape Velocity are better than some of the commercial games out there.

So far my favorites have been the newly released Summoner and Deus Ex. Summoner has a wonderfully rich story line, beautiful graphics and runs perfectly on a G3 450. It's fun and easy to emerge yourself in. Deus Ex was the same way..the story drew you right in. And the important aspect (the ending) just blew me away..I mean three endings? I wonder how they will start Deus Ex 2? I just started Summoner and I hope it isn't a let down because so far it's been worth every cent.

So without giving away any details, any comments from you..the players? Did you like Alice? Summoner your cup of tea? Still fragging away on UT? Hoping to upgrade your Quadra to a 1 GHz G4 with a GForce 3? Go ahead..write back...make sure to write more than "Quake blows" because it's you..the Mac gamer that makes the final decision.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2001, 12:04 PM

I'm not so much a 'mac gamer' as I am someone who prefers to work on a Mac...but also likes to play games sometimes. I'm also only a student, so I can't afford a G4 AND the latest and greatest PC to play games on. So, I just make do as best I can on what I have...

As for games, I liked Deus Ex...I'm in the middle of my second go-through right now, just waiting for Alice to come out...saw the game on my friend's PC and thought it looked really cool. So that'll be my gaming for the next year, approximately.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Cipher13
Jul 19, 2001, 08:25 AM

I use Macs... I play games on it

That simple, really.

I'd play games on whatever system I have... I happen to have a Mac, so I play games on it

I don't think you can say "Macs are better for games because only the high quality ones get through", which is BS... on the PC you get more choice and have to be more selective. There are great games which DON'T make it to the Mac.

My primary purpose on the comp is not playing games - its an aside, and given the low priority it has with me, well, I won't base my work around my games like some people do... its the other way around.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2001, 01:13 PM

Hmmm... what makes me a Mac Gamer? Let's see, I use a Mac, I play games on a Mac. I'm a Mac Gamer. Since I have a nice bunch of Macs and Mac software, I've never really considered moving to a PC. Besides with my experience with PCs at work, it's much easier to add software and hardware to a Mac. As for the amount of games on the Mac, well now-a-days with work taking up a lot of my time, I don't have a lot of time to play games. I never play all the games that are out there for the Mac. The current hardware is more than adequate to play any game out there and since I have a good paying job, I don't mind paying a little extra for the more powerful Macs (ie. the Mac I have is usually more powerful than I need). Gotta get that dual G4-800 to replace my aging G3-400.

Like Blizzard, my current favourite game is Deus Ex... i'm almost finished my first time thru. After that, I'll probably try the multiplayer patch and maybe try a second time thru... Other than Deus Ex, I play UT.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jul 20, 2001, 01:35 PM

I'm just wondering which game will replace Deus Ex...
The best thing about Mac gaming is the ease of setting up network games!
Deus Ex multiplayer is brilliant.javascript: x()

spud

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2001, 09:54 PM

Like a lot of the other posters, I'm a Mac user first. One thing about gaming on the Mac - all the good turn-based strategy games get here eventually - just the thing for us old folks with our slow reflexes. Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete runs just fine on my 1995 8500/120. I also play Civilization II, Master of Orion II and Alpha Centuari. I have a new G4 on order, though. Civilization III and Master of Orion III are in the pipeline and I can't wait!
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

CountBezukhov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2001, 09:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elvin:
[QB]Hi there,

>I've been a Mac gamer since the beginning, and I must say that it's gone
>through a lot of changes. But what I would like to ask is what makes you
>a Mac gamer?

Weak will. I've wasted way too much of my life with games and try to avoid them, but every once in a while I'll get sucked in, and then my obsessive-compulsive tendencies keep me up all night and cause me to neglect friendships and far more important duties. Therefore, I regard the fact that there are viewer games for the Mac as a positive thing. I didn't pay all that money to get a game boy that also does word processing.

I have enjoyed a variety of game types such as Myth and Marathon, but I think my favorites are adventure type games broken by moments of action. Though it was not perfect, I liked Dust (ancient now, of course) in which you wander around a western town trying to solve some mystic mystery, with the occasional fist fight or gunfight, while building up to the final confrontation. The fact that you aren't running and shooting all the way through the game adds a high degree of tension when the showdown finally comes (btw, I am >ahem< a character in the game, one of the photographic cyber-puppets [though we prefer to be called persons of cybernetic simulation], one of the Belcher brothers, as well as Officer Morrow in Titanic). I also thought The Last Express, despite its often tedious develpment, did an exceptional job of getting the player to care about the npc's, and had a nice payoff.

Once perfected (and collecting and trading objects doesn't really cut it as narrative drive) I think these "Interactive Movies," as CyberFlix styled them, would be the ultimate gaming experience. Unfortunately, mine seems to be a minority view, and, without customers, the evolution of the form ain't gonna happen. Which is all to the good, if I'm to get any work done.

That said, can somebody help me finish this damn game of Baldur's Gate... ?
Never anthropomorphize computers; they hate that.

Elvin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2001, 10:32 PM

Hi there CountBezukhov, and welcome to the forums!

I agree with you..the best part of gaming is the engrossing factor of it. Dues Ex drew me right in, and as littlegreenspud said, what's going to replace it (probably only Deus Ex 2 eh ).

I remember when I played the puzzle game 3 in Three by Cliff Johnston (does anybody know if he's still around making games?). Boy, that game had me going for months working on the various puzzles.

And CountBezukhov, just go ahead and post where you are in BG and we can all see if we can help you.

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2001, 11:04 PM

"What makes you a Mac gamer?"

I'm not gonna shell out any more money after buying a Mac (which is already expensive, BTW) just to play my games. The speeds are just fine, why use a PC? All (or most) of the good games get brought here anyway, and the games that do come usually come via a well-established Mac developer such as MacPlay, MacSoft, Westlake, Aspyr as well as others I can't think of right now.

max4ever
Jul 26, 2001, 11:33 PM

One thing I love Elvin mentioning is Ambrosia. I always wanted to play games on my mac, but my mac was never strong enough to play any top-of-the-line stuff. So, I ended up with old games and shareware--games like Escape Velocity and Swoop. As the rest of the world discovered Unreal, I was happily conducting multiplayer Marathon: Tempus Irae tournaments using my 7200/120 and Performa 6220 (a speedy 75 MHz!). Now that I'm heading to college, my parents are (finally) buying me a new system, and with 867 MHz G4 and GeForce 3 inside, it will rock for games.

So the question is, what makes you a mac gamer? In my mind, it is someone who will make the sacrifices simply to play their games on a mac instead of a console, or, esp., a PC.

CountBezukhov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Elvin:
<STRONG>Hi there CountBezukhov, and welcome to the forums!

Thanks; seems to be a more lively place than the newsgroups I'm accustomed to.

&gt;And CountBezukhov, just go ahead and post where you are in BG and we can
&gt;all see if we can help you.</STRONG>
I've posted my dilemma under a seperate thread, "Is this a glitach or do I just need a hint?" Basically, I'm in the Ducal palace, the Doppelgangers have been dealt with, both Dukes survive, and Sarevok just stands around whistlin', actin' innocent. If I finally provoke him by flinging a bullet at him or trying to pick his pocket, he attacks, the Flaming Fist troops join my party in fighting him, then, when he's reeling, a certain Winski Perorate shows up simultaneously with a pillar of fire that fries me to a crisp, regardless of any charms or spells I may have employed. If I flee to another floor or another part of the countryside after antagonizing Sarevok, I drop dead wherever I happen to be.

I found another mention of this problem in a year-old thread at MacBaldur.net; I fear it is, indeed, a glitch, but I hope there is some way to avoid fighting the same battle over and over till I get the right response from Sarevok. The first couple of times the fight is fun and exhilarating, but from there on it's just a chore.

CountBezukhov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 01:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Euphrates:
[QB]"What makes you a Mac gamer?"

Re: Your signature

My favorite GWB quote is, "I think we can all agree, the past is behind us."

macsr4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2001, 11:40 PM

I'm a mac gamer because thats all i ever used and using them is so much easier than messing with windowz, lately though im starting to get annoyed with mac developers for either not releasing great games on mac (blade of darkness, halflife, serious sam) or delaying them so much that its not worth the money when it does come out (Soldier of Fortune, alien vs predator, max payne). I'm now seriously considering buying a wintel box just to play games and keeping my mac to do anything besides games.

just an afterthought, mac games are so expensive when compared to the same game on a pc, whats up with that?

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2001, 12:40 AM

This probably won't cheer you up any, but SoF is a guaranteed no-show; it was cancelled a few months back. AvP is, I assume, never going to arrive. As for Max Payne, I can only hope it will not fall into the same hole, as my PC friends are giving it rave reviews.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be an acceptable turnover period for converted Mac games?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2001, 12:48 AM

<STRONG>I remember when I played the puzzle game 3 in Three by Cliff Johnston (does anybody know if he's still around making games?). Boy, that game had me going for months working on the various puzzles.
</STRONG>
3 in Three is, in my opinion, the best game ever written, for any system, ever.

But I am also a minority most of the time when it comes to games...

I haven't played a new game that I've liked for years. The Marathon days were great. Nowadays everyone only cares about graphics. However, EV Nova is coming out really soon, and it promises to be great! I am sure many unenlightened people will criticize it because of its sprite-based graphics, though. Ah well, I will be paying my shareware fee, something I don't do often!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Elvin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 09:28 AM

Ok, so I have noticed a few of you really enjoy Ambrosia shareware games, and I think that's great. As macsr4ever, said, we have missed a lot of great titles that are on the PC, and just never made it to the Mac. Half-Life however, was already in production, but since the network code couldn't properly implemented so that Mac's and PC's could network, Valve said, "if it can't be done properly, don't do it at all". That's not a bad idea, I mean look at Blizzard who cut Warcraft Adventures. Sure, it looked like a fair game, but would it really sell? In my opinion I respect Blizzard more for staying committed to the Mac platform and only trying to release the best possible game out there. On the other side of the coin though, Warcraft 3 was just pushed back into next year (*sigh*), and that gets a little frustrating, yet again we've seen in running on OS X and Blizzard products are released on the Mac almost the same time as on the PC.

So, as posted here the user blizzard said ...
&gt;Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be an acceptable turnover &gt;period for converted Mac games?

Well, considering that PCs have already had Black & White for quite some time, and our copy isn't for another while yet...I think it's too long there. However, there are benefits to that. Heretic 2, is finally coming to the Mac. I really enjoyed this game, and the graphics are pretty considering it's only using a Quake 1 engine. But when we finally do get it (years after the PC version though), we will have it running on OS 9, OS X, and not only that, but it should run on older computers who don't have the processor power to run games like Halo. Plus, our version will probably come with all the extra Map packs, skins, and stuff like that. To me, that means a lot! It will be stable and I don't really care what's out there for the PC anyway. I do everything else on my Mac, so why not just concentrate on Mac games.

Does everyone like the new shareware game AirBurst? I think it's fantastic! Great new gameplay, gorgeous graphics, numerous games, now he's selling shirts and working on network ability for the next version. And the best thing of all...it only costs $5 to register. Now that's Mac quality! I bet our PC buddies don't have that kind of shareware quality to actually draw oohs and aaaws! Didn't you have your friends come over and say "Let me try that!" when you were showing off Ferazel's Wand? It's really something when you are willing to pay the small fee for a shareware product. There is some fantastic stuff out there.

As macsr4ever also said, our prices are pretty high on Mac games. That's a good point. When Heretic 2 does come out, will they be charging $50 for their troubles, or try aiming at $20-$30 to try and attract buyers? How about Unreal Tourney: GOTY edition. They released that for a fantastic price! Mac games are always a few more dollars on the shelves of stores, but there are deals out there aren't there on the internet if you look long enough. But does it matter to you as a consumer? Post your thoughts on these subjects :-)

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2001, 02:44 PM

Hmm, let's see; right now Alice is selling in my local neighborhood Compusmart for the princely sum of ninety dollars. I don't know about you guys, but I think that's way the hell too much. I'd be willing to pay sixty for the game. I'd be willing to sixty for any good game, but ninety is so far out of the realm of possibility it's not even funny.

Elvin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 03:55 PM

$90 Canadian? That's crazy! It's like they just know that it's a new product so they crank up the price. Even from Aspyr themselves, it's still $50 U.S., but at least they throw in a hint-book.

Do you think competition of chain stores helps? I know that since ComputerCity closed down around Ontario, there just aren't as many large Mac stores to go to for games. EB, isn't bad, but their selection is abysmal, plus they stick them on a small rack where no body looks.

macsr4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2001, 02:35 PM

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be an acceptable turnover period for converted Mac games?[/QB][/QUOTE]

My answer to your question would be maybe a few months at most but some games that are released for mac take years to even make it here, age of emipres, baldurs gate and the list goes on.

Francisco Pires
Jul 31, 2001, 11:36 AM

<STRONG>Hi there,

I've been a Mac gamer since the beginning, and I must say that it's gone through a lot of changes. But what I would like to ask is what makes you a Mac gamer? How long have you been playing? Do you also have a GHz PC playing Tribes 2 or are you happily playing Solitaire on a Mac Plus? I know we have been through a lot, decline of gaming in periods, cancellation of Half-Life, etc. So what makes you stick with a Mac?

For me, it's the quality of the games. They are few and far between, but some are very worth it!
:</STRONG>
Well, I�m a Mac User and here is very difficult to buy games for Macintosh. I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I like strategy games, like The Sims, Age of Empires, Majesty, and now I�m looking for TROPICO.

The great advantage playing strategy games is that you don�t need a great machine. I have an iMac Rev.B (233) with 160Mb RAM and the games look great!

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2001, 01:29 PM

I think gaming on the Mac is how quite a few people mentioned it here in this thread - Mac users use their computers to do lots of things, and gaming is just one of them. While many PC users devote all their PC time to playing the latest and greatest games (and updating drivers, ripping open their machine and burning it, etc.) , Mac users usually do a variety of things, whether it's creating web sites, editing music/movies/graphic design files, etc.

It's easy to see that making a game for the Mac is much harder than for the PC, as you have to appeal to people who only do gaming as a supplement to their regular computing activities - for many Mac users playing around with OS X is a game in and of itself right now!

I also develop games myself (though you couldn't tell too much as I haven't released much of anything recently) and find these factors to be interesting - to make a successful Mac game it probably has to be something you can just play a quick game of anytime. Long-winded adventure or RPG games, while somewhat popular in limited cases on the Mac, just don't fly, as most Mac users don't want to invest that amount of time into figuring out the intricacies of some game - it's supposed to be fun, after all, and reading a 300 page manual just doesn't seem too enjoyable to me...

Elvin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2001, 06:24 PM

Nice to hear from you Francisco Pires (and welcome to the forums), and I think it's great that you like strategy games. Out of all the genres out there, they are the most entertaining. I also think it's great that you are playing such new games on the original iMacs. What great machines!

I'd also have to agree with you Funkboy, I tend to think that Mac users are far more creative than PC users. In some cases, with the lack of Mac apps compared to the PCs, it's a challenge in itself to do the work on a Mac. This is finally changing, but if you can complete jobs on a Mac (and of course they look oodles better than when done on a PC, since the user makes it look more creative) you feel that you have accomplished that much more. In fact it's great to see that none of you are just 'gamers' and that you all use your Macs for all sorts of tasks.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2001, 06:25 PM

Francisco said:

Well, I�m a Mac User and here is very difficult to buy games for Macintosh. I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I like strategy games, like The Sims, Age of Empires, Majesty, and now I�m looking for TROPICO.

The great advantage playing strategy games is that you don�t need a great machine. I have an iMac Rev.B (233) with 160Mb RAM and the games look great!

I would be careful about Tropico on your machine. I saw complaints in response to a story on it from people who said it ran too slowly on their G4s. You might want to check further before buying it. I agree with you about strategy games. Have you tried Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete? It runs well on a 120 MHz 604 and should run even better on your iMac.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

itim55
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 01:25 PM

I agree with many points in this thread. As a Mac gamer, I relished the days of Marathon and emphasis on gameplay, not graphics. As games got to be more complex, I found them to be increasingly centered around showcasing their engines, not gameplay. Quake3 is a perfect example. While I bought the game, and do enjoy it immensely, I find that it is really a showcase of the q3 engine. I just can't wait to get my Revision B PowerBook G4 so I can run games like Quake3, Rogue Spear, Elite Force, and Deus Ex at a decent clip. Man, I miss the old Bungie. *sniff*
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by The Ancient One:
<STRONG>Francisco said:

I would be careful about Tropico on your machine. I saw complaints in response to a story on it from people who said it ran too slowly on their G4s. You might want to check further before buying it. I agree with you about strategy games. Have you tried Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete? It runs well on a 120 MHz 604 and should run even better on your iMac.</STRONG>
Indeed, i just got it Friday, and while it's addictive as crack (i mean that in a good way ), it does have stiffer requirements than you might expect. My iBook SE/366 runs it ok with 192mb ram, but at an obviously low resolution, and it hurts once you get up in population. My old upgraded 7500 does a little less well, even though it has a decent video card. i was surprised by this, but it doesn't detract too much from the enjoyment of the game, once you get it tweaked.

As for why i'm a Mac gamer? Because typically the games just install and run. Few driver conflicts (ok, they're there, but not bring-your-puter-to-its-knees bad), easy installation, and predictable results. It's not surprising that the iMac sparked a renaissance of Mac gaming; it's the next best thing to a console, really. The games sometimes take a bit to make it over (cough... Starcraft), but by the time they do, they're pretty well polished and tweaked (except for the occasional SimCity 3000). It's just a better experience.

poocat
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2001, 06:05 PM

ah yes, another thread about (underneath, but even so) the lack of mac games/graphics power.

oh well.

there are only a couple of games i play that i need a pc for... obviously, when i'm locked in a serious ut or q3 or half life game, i'm on a dell. that's just how it works. plus i play fallout and any fallout games they make, which are only pc... and grand theft auto, which may well be my favorite game ever (after fallout2) is only on the pc... god i'd kill for that on my pismo.

but whoever said it earlier is right.
the kinds of games i REALLY like to play, they're mostly available on the mac. warcraft/starcraft/warcraft2, civ2, alpha centauri, majesty (though i played all of these on a pc first, and then got them for the mac, which in my life is a benefit, cause i only purchase/acquire the games for the mac that i already know/love).

and yeah. ambrosia makes some of the best games ever
swoop has entertained me for months on end
apieron? wow. starwars mod all the way!

i can't wait for the new ev game.

mars rising entertains me quite a bit,
as does boom, which, if you haven't played you should try.

i still occasionally play abuse, because i remember just how into that game i was back in high school. heck, i truthfully spend most of my time on my mac lately playing tetris.

although i did play reckless driving for about 2 months...
(did i mention that i'd kill for gta on the mac?! kill, i tell you!)

oh well.
truthfully, games are important, but they're never the reason i buy what i buy, and i often borrow games from friends, play them for a week or so, and give them back, so i'm not feeling too left out in the game market... until warcraft3 comes out, and then we're all going to be demanding a fricking dell to run it... but truthfully, the older and older i get the less i care about each game in particular. i spend a ton of time playing them, when i have the chance, but i'm never as much like "yesgobuythisnow!" as i used to be...

ah maturity.
i love being a mac gamer.
i love having 30 shareware games on my comp,
and having some hard core pc fps kILlmAstR sit down and laugh, and then, half an hour later be asked what he's doing only to reply "boom."

i love that.
boom.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Forum Links
Forum Rules