Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicken - Dead or alive

Quicken - Dead or alive
Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2002, 11:58 PM

Once again we are faced with Quicken being terminated by Intuit. My feeling is, so be it. I've used Quicken for a number of years and its not bad. But I'm tired of the crap the Intuit has been feeding the Macintosh community. So who should replaced Quicken? Could we say IFinance from Apple. I believe that this is a critical application for Apple to provide for the digital experience. I for one wouldn't mind spending fifty bucks for a decent home finance application that is OS X native and supported. It would also open the door for Apple to start building relationships with the financial institutions. Does anybody else have an opinion?

iamnotmad
Senior User
Apr 26, 2002, 02:08 AM

i thought i read that somewhere (now I can't find it), but they are now recruiting beta testers for quicken 2003 for mac. Can you provide a link to a news article or press release or something where intuit states they are dropping quicken for mac?

It would be a real shame for them to drop it.

Back up 15 and punt  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2002, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by iamnotmad:
<STRONG>i thought i read that somewhere (now I can't find it), but they are now recruiting beta testers for quicken 2003 for mac. Can you provide a link to a news article or press release or something where intuit states they are dropping quicken for mac?

It would be a real shame for them to drop it.</STRONG>
www.thinksecret.com provided notes from the Apple shareholders meeting. Just because they are seeking beta testers from Quicken 2003 doesn't mean they will continue development beyond that version.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2002, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
<STRONG>
www.thinksecret.com provided notes from the Apple shareholders meeting. Just because they are seeking beta testers from Quicken 2003 doesn't mean they will continue development beyond that version.</STRONG>
I saw this too and I must say I have rather liked Quicken over the years.

I seem to recall somebody writing a new finance program in cocoa that could import quicken-type data, but I don't remember hearing much about it for a good long time now . . .

I believe (though I'm not sure) that MYOB is not really personally-oriented, any experience out there?
cpac

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2002, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
<STRONG>

I saw this too and I must say I have rather liked Quicken over the years.

I seem to recall somebody writing a new finance program in cocoa that could import quicken-type data, but I don't remember hearing much about it for a good long time now . . .

I believe (though I'm not sure) that MYOB is not really personally-oriented, any experience out there?</STRONG>
MYOB is designed for a small business similar to Quickbooks. Quicken is designed to be cash based personal finance for the individual/family.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2002, 09:08 AM

I saw the ThinkSecret notes from the Apple shareholders meeting, too, and they were a little disturbing but also pretty vague. By itself, it doesn't seem like quite enough to go on ... so has anyone seen recent info from other sources on the future of Quicken for the Mac?

I was actually wondering if the shareholders' discussion might have been referring to QuickBooks. As long as Apple is packaging Quicken with its consumer desktops, Intuit has a guaranteed market for several hundred thousand copies of Quicken annually. It's hard to see them abandoning that.

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 10:15 AM

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: pdjr ]

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 10:19 AM

MyBooks from Appgen is an alternative. It imported my extensive Quicken file without any glitches, unlike some published reports.

woowooo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Montanan:
<STRONG>I saw the ThinkSecret notes from the Apple shareholders meeting, too, and they were a little disturbing but also pretty vague. By itself, it doesn't seem like quite enough to go on ... so has anyone seen recent info from other sources on the future of Quicken for the Mac?

I was actually wondering if the shareholders' discussion might have been referring to QuickBooks. As long as Apple is packaging Quicken with its consumer desktops, Intuit has a guaranteed market for several hundred thousand copies of Quicken annually. It's hard to see them abandoning that.</STRONG>
I think QuickBooks Pro was the main argument and that at the share holders meeting, a confrontation about Bill Campbell was started. Seems the Head of Intuit has been on the board of Apple and hasn't promoted "apple's" investment in Quickbooks Pro (drains the resources away from a profitable intuit PC product).

I think shareholder's were asked asked by another to vote him off the board. Much like a deadweight dragging Apple. Honestly, I agree. Face it, Adobe and Intuit, both major players that were given life by Apple, have at a snail's pace, boosted support for PCs more than the Mac. And don't give me "there are thousands of lines of code in Photoshop that can't be translated/converted overnight". Adobe made Photoshop a bloated app anyway. Probably easier to re-code the Unix version... (sure, profitability on the PC side warrants owning their stock). But do Apple chairpeople sit on boards of Microsoft, Intel, Adobe, Intuit...???

Enough already. I leave it to Mr Oswald to light the fire under Campbell's pants.

cowerd
Senior User
Apr 26, 2002, 12:17 PM

http://www.macintouch.com/

"Since I am the stockholder that took issue with [Intuit's] William Campbell sitting on the Board at Apple, let me clarify what happened.
� I objected to the seating of Mr. Campbell on the board due to the complete lack of advancement of Quickbooks Pro for Mac over several years. It had nothing to do with the lack of feature parity of Quicken for Mac, though that is an issue also. I simply said that it seems that Mr. Campbell had no right to sit on the Board as his company has relegated Macs to a back-of-the-bus position in offices throughout the business world for many years.
� I pointed out that the only way to really grow market share was in the business community and that with a program as basic to business as Quickbooks Pro lacking a way to exist in any but the smallest of businesses, that we Mac users would continue to be second class citizens. Given that Mr. Campbell draws no small remuneration for sitting on the board, it also follows that he should bring something to the table.
� The fact is that the media has let this run amuck. As usual, the worst is assumed and this should straighten the story. To my knowledge, Intuit is not dropping Mac support, they simply have failed to advance our platform at a rate anywhere near our Windows compatriots, thereby causing me concern as a stockholder."
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2002, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by cowerd:
<STRONG>http://www.macintouch.com/[/b]]http://www.macintouch.com/

"Since I am the stockholder that took issue with [Intuit's] William Campbell sitting on the Board at Apple, let me clarify what happened.
� I objected to the seating of Mr. Campbell on the board due to the complete lack of advancement of Quickbooks Pro for Mac over several years. It had nothing to do with the lack of feature parity of Quicken for Mac, though that is an issue also. I simply said that it seems that Mr. Campbell had no right to sit on the Board as his company has relegated Macs to a back-of-the-bus position in offices throughout the business world for many years.
� I pointed out that the only way to really grow market share was in the business community and that with a program as basic to business as Quickbooks Pro lacking a way to exist in any but the smallest of businesses, that we Mac users would continue to be second class citizens. Given that Mr. Campbell draws no small remuneration for sitting on the board, it also follows that he should bring something to the table.
� The fact is that the media has let this run amuck. As usual, the worst is assumed and this should straighten the story. To my knowledge, Intuit is not dropping Mac support, they simply have failed to advance our platform at a rate anywhere near our Windows compatriots, thereby causing me concern as a stockholder."</STRONG>
Thank you for clarifying the what role Quicken will have in the near future.

Forum Links
Forum Rules