Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1.3

10.1.3 (Page 2)
petej
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2002, 04:36 PM

SSL and SSH are both protocols for encrypting connections. SSL uses a certificate-based approach to both encrypt and authenticate one or both sides of the connection; SSH uses asymmetric cryptography to secure the connection and to authenticate both sides of the connection. One feature of the SSH protocol is that it can allow you to run multiple streams across the connection, typically called tunnels, so that a client on one side of an SSH connection can converse with a server on the other side, having all of their traffic tunneled through the encrypted SSH connection. SSH is not protocol-compatible with SSL, though, so if you have an SSL server, you can't use SSH to coerce some application into talking with it.

Stunnel (mentioned earlier) allows you to set up a tunnel with SSL instead of SSH, so you can have a non-SSL-aware client talk over the tunnel to the SSL-aware server. Stunnel is sort of like a separate program that does the same thing as SSH tunneling, but for SSL.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2002, 07:31 PM

I tried getting Mail to work through SSL using some info at UW that I was directed to in another thread. It works for IMAP but that's not really important for me. The big deal is that my school is moving to authenticated SMTP over SSL. I tried configuring it to work for SMTP but it aparently wont work with my school's server because the server operated on port 25 and therefore handles the security stuff differently than SSL SMTP which is on port 465 ( i think). Hopefully this new version of Mail.app, when it arrives, will work the way I need it to.

petej
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2002, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
<STRONG>my school is moving to authenticated SMTP over SSL</STRONG>
They want to switch to authenticated SMTP because they want to stop open relays -- this is a good thing. They probably want to use SSL to avoid having sniffable passwords. Suggest to them that the can achieve this over a plain TCP connection by using CRAM-MD5 authentication, which Mail.app supports. CRAM-MD5 avoids sending the password in the clear; it does a challenge and response between the client and server, which will work.

Otherwise, there are other Mac OS X clients that support SMTP over SSL on port 25 (the STARTTLS version) such as Entourage X, Mulberry, and pine.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Feb 19, 2002, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Keda:
<STRONG>

Ive had my machine freeze up for 15minutes and the next time it will only lock for 5. Its weird, but yes, this is what we're bitching about.</STRONG>
Ouch. Well, if it really does freeze up for that long, then I'm with ya on the bitching. I haven't seen it do that for such a long period of time, but that does indeed sound bad.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

benh57
Senior User
Feb 19, 2002, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by solitere:
<STRONG>

Can�t someone make a 5 dollar worth dockling or system prefspane that adjust the iSub base-volume!

Please!</STRONG>
Yes. Working on it. However, this may not be do-able in a simple app/prefpane. From what i can tell, the iSub driver locks up the device exclusively, no-one else can send it control messages.

If all else fails, a solution like "AppleUSBMouse Turbo Edition" will work. I have built the iSub driver from darwin. All I need to do is make an interface for the level.

-Ben (author of MouseZoom)
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by benh57:
<STRONG>

Yes. Working on it. However, this may not be do-able in a simple app/prefpane. From what i can tell, the iSub driver locks up the device exclusively, no-one else can send it control messages.

-Ben (author of MouseZoom)</STRONG>

Great! I looking forward for an iSub "control" application and I guess many other "iSub" people too!

jefdiesel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by benh57:
<STRONG>

If all else fails, a solution like "AppleUSBMouse Turbo Edition" will work. I have built the iSub driver from darwin. All I need to do is make an interface for the level.

-Ben (author of MouseZoom)</STRONG>
ben.. where can we find out more info about this?

jefdiesel

benh57
Senior User
Feb 26, 2002, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by jefdiesel:
<STRONG>

ben.. where can we find out more info about this?
</STRONG>
I don't have anything usable yet to post but I will let everyone know when I do.
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules