Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook fell out of my bag

powerbook fell out of my bag
sadpandas
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 01:47 AM

So i was just getting up out of my chair and my zipper wasnt closed and i heard THUD the pbook fell out as i was getting up and dented the DVI out slot.... I tried to turn her back on; the keyboard lit up but the screen stayed 97% black.... i plugged it into my external monitor and here i am typing to you. the computer seems to be running normal but the screen is gone im thinking....

Are there any 'tricks' 'moves' or anything i can do to make this pbook as ' bada$$ical as it one was? Anyone have this sort of thing happen? i read through some posts but really just want some help and answers as it just happened and i'm 'freaking' out as my younger niece says....

Anyone had this happen and send it to apple? i still have apple care so HOPEFULLY they can help me out with some sort of guidance... its so young and didn't deserve to go out like this.... Im typing from my external monitor and everything seems a.o.k.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..... as always mac forum... you are my slow jam...my quiet storm... my silk sheets... you 'put the satin my panties"... can anyone name tha last quote? its a good one ;-).

anyway, thanks for everything.

love,
pandas and his new kind of but not really working pbook.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 03:18 AM

I don't know if Applecare covers accidents, but I would think that it wouldn't. They might fix it anyway, if they think that it might be a failure on Apple's part, but that just comes down to what you are willing to tell them to get it fixed for free.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 04:36 AM

Well i would always tell them what really happened but i was just hoping someone had had this happem (actually i hope that NO ONE ever has this happen to them) and they might be able to give me insight as to how apple handled it. I do understand, i left the zipper open so it is my fault but mabe apple pricing is more what im looking for... anyway, thanks a bunch for your input.

pandas
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram

byron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 07:57 AM

it could just be as simple as the vga connector coming unseated from the system board... if you dont' want to send it back to apple and you're not afraid of disassembling your unit, it could be a simple fix (if that is in fact the problem). i had to take apart my mbp the day i got it b/c i put a DVD in the superdrive and it wouldn't eject... after investigating, the system didn't even see the superdrive. ended up the connector wasn't seated securely.

you can get step by step directions on iFixit - iBook & PowerBook Parts

disclaimer: only take your unit apart if you are completely comfortable doing so. its not rocket science, but some of the parts/screws are very small and can be tedious.

Tru2Chevy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 09:29 AM

I would go with byron's suggestion if you are comfortable with it. iFixit's guides are very easy to follow, and I have used them a few times.

I actually had the same issue with my 12" PB as you are having now, and it was just a loose cable, so there is still hope for you.

Good luck with it!

- Justin

cms
Senior User
Aug 31, 2006, 12:10 PM

Apple definitely won't fix it. Any sign of external damage to the casing viods your warranty and counts as "abuse", no matter how it happened. This counts as accidental damage, and should therefore be covered under your household insurance policy. I know someone here in the UK who dropped a 2-year old 12" Powerbook, denting the case and hosing the hard drive. AppleCare wouldn't touch it because of the external damage, so he contacted his insurers who provided him with a brand new 15" MBP with 2 GB of RAM. He was very happy, as you might imagine, having got a brand new top-spec machine for just £250, which was the excess on the insurance policy.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 01:25 PM

It sounds like something happened with your backlight. Since you now have a nice big dent in your machine, your AppleCare is pretty much useless. It doesn't cover accidents.

If I were you, I'd open it up and try to diagnose the problem. Chances are good that the backlight cable got severed or disconnected in the fall. Hence the "97% black". Backlight components are fairly cheap.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 04:48 PM

Got a pic of the screen? That would help diagnose the problem.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
Got a pic of the screen? That would help diagnose the problem.

If you have Safeware.com insurance, theres no deductable. Applecare does not cover damage due to accidents! Your homeowners will but you have to pay deductable!

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 02:47 AM

Hey guys,

I haven't written back because i havent plugged my machine in since i posted this and have been out of town as well... being out of town without the use of my powerbook was a terrible feeling to have. Relaxing, yes but the place we were staying at had wi-fi that covered all of the grounds (a resort in Palm Springs) and i wish i could have at least had the option to check my email from where ever i pleased....

So, if i send this into Apple they are going to void my Apple Care? Or are you saying that apple care wont cover the fix? I wasn't thinking they would cover it but i would hope that they could at least tell me a price it would cost to fix. I will check out the backlight cable as soon as i get the guts up and read read read the guide on i-fixit...

wish me luck or else this, my sweet sweet robot will maybe become my LCD computer in the living room.... But it was meant for so much more i tell you!

Strangely though, it does look a million times better on my Samsung SyncMaster external monitor than it ever did with the attached monitor... sorry, screen.

Okay, this is bumming me out... again. i better get to the tutorial now and maybe if i am lucky and brave enough i will attempt this this weekend.

If say it isn't the cable. does anyone know how much a full screen replacement is? It probably isnt the screen though, its probably something more magical like the video card.... God, i am an idiot, i can't believe i didnt put it in its sleeve and zip that up THEN put it in the bag AND zip the damn bag up. I think i hate myself... for now at least.

thanks to EVRYONE who chimed in on this and I will report back as soon as i can figure this out...

For Graphics/Display in my "about this mac" it says the following:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV360M11
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4e50
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-145
Displays:
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Display:

Everything seems normal until i read the last line 'Status: No display connected"
Cam someone who was an external monitor using it in 'clam shell closed' mode tell me if theirs says anything different, please?

Pandas
( Last edited by sadpandas; Sep 9, 2006 at 03:02 AM. )

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 03:14 AM

The cost for Apple to fix it would be around $1000... just a bit over. It's considered a Tier 3 repair, due to the accidental damage. Actually, anything with accidental damage is Tier 3 or above. If it was merely cosmetic, and just a dented case, it would be Tier 2 at just under $700.

Apple definitly will not cover the repair. It's an extended warranty, not an insurance policy.

You said it was 97% dark, does that mean you can actually see part of the display and it just has no lighting? Or is it just completely dark like it's off?

If it's the backlight, and you can see the OS in the light, etc..., then it could be the logic board, the inverter, or the LCD itself. If it's not the backlight, and you see nothing on the screen at all, it could be a disconnected cable, bad logic board, or LCD.

kick52
Baninated
Sep 9, 2006, 03:39 AM

it isnt going to be the video card, because that card is also driving your external monitor, so it is most likly a loose/damaged connector which should be easy/cheap to fix.

upload some pics of your powerbook, and inside it so we can diagnose.
email me ( [email protected] ) with the pics if you need it hosted.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 05:20 AM

You guys are awesome, thanks for the quick responses. I will take some pictures tomorrow and email you then email you kick. Hope you are all having a good night/morning, i'm going to bed.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 01:20 AM

Okay, had the i.t. guy at work check all the connections under the 'hood' today (we use around 90% macs at the graphic design house i work at when not on the road). He said all connections were fine so he believes it is in fact a busted screen. I am oing to bring it into Melrose Mac tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. I dont want to order a screen and have them put it in if i dont know for sure that logic board wasn't damaged in any way shape or form.... What else seems strange is that the usb hub on the power plug side doesn't seem to be workng anymore... THIS IS KILLING ME!

So, here are my choices so far;

Fix it through one of those companies that do such things like pbfixit.com and the like for around $699.00 or so and hope its only the screen (like i said earlier, i am writing this to you from my pbook hooked up to an external monitor) and not some other damaged parts inside.

2) try and sell it and use some extra cash to buy a newer one from those places that 'horse trade' macs (found in the back of some mac magazines)

3) Purchase a really exciting 32" LCD for my living room (my birthday is this weekend ) and use the powerbook with that to surf the web and do all the other things i can do now... And purchase a newer model some time down the road.

Anyone care to weigh in on their opinion of what a young man is to do? Hope you are all well and thanks again for EVERYONES help. I truly appreciate it.

Pandas

vinster
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 02:08 AM

My advice is if you want to get it fixed, then I'd just have Apple do it. They will replace everything that needs replacing for a flat fee. However, $1,000 will go a long way towards a MacBook so you may want to consider getting a new laptop and selling the PowerBook for parts or coming up with a creative use for it.

Good luck.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2006, 12:08 AM

UPDATE YALL!
So, after Melrose Mac diagnosed my baby with only screen problems i found an ad for a place called Tech Restore in the back of MacWorld that 'claimed' they could fix the screen and gttet ti back to me in 24 hours for around $550 + tax. Did some research called the sales rep, sent it out 2 day on my end which was on Tuesday and low and behold this morning received my Powerbook back and working PERFECTLY. I now its too soon to tell (they did give me a year warranty). Anyway, the guys over there are awesome and did what they said they would do for way under whatt apple said it would coast to replace the screen, $1400 + tax with applecare... i know you guys, itt was my boneheaded move that made the magic happen but still. can i get a little discount? nope. Anyway, thanks so much for all of your help and continued support. My powerbook has never looked so sweet.

love,
pandas

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 07:36 PM

Did they try to repair the dent at all or did they just replace the screen? Just curious.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by sadpandas
So i was just getting up out of my chair and my zipper wasnt closed and i heard THUD the pbook fell out as i was getting up and dented the DVI out slot.... I tried to turn her back on; the keyboard lit up but the screen stayed 97% black.... i plugged it into my external monitor and here i am typing to you. the computer seems to be running normal but the screen is gone im thinking....

Are there any 'tricks' 'moves' or anything i can do to make this pbook as ' bada$$ical as it one was? Anyone have this sort of thing happen? i read through some posts but really just want some help and answers as it just happened and i'm 'freaking' out as my younger niece says....

Anyone had this happen and send it to apple? i still have apple care so HOPEFULLY they can help me out with some sort of guidance... its so young and didn't deserve to go out like this.... Im typing from my external monitor and everything seems a.o.k.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..... as always mac forum... you are my slow jam...my quiet storm... my silk sheets... you 'put the satin my panties"... can anyone name tha last quote? its a good one ;-).

anyway, thanks for everything.

love,
pandas and his new kind of but not really working pbook.
As we say over here .... 'Oh Christ ... Oh bugger ...!!'
What a shame!
You say, 'Your zipper wasn't closed, you heard a thud...the pbook fell out ....' Hell fire, you dropped the bloody thing on the floor .... TOUGH!! But it's your fault I"m afraid ... get a life ... what the hell do you want us to do for you ... buy you another PB?? Get outa here .... this is not the forum to whinge about dropping a PB ..... you screwed up ...take it to an authorised dealer to be repaired .. do us all a favour, take responsibility and pay for it youself - and DON'T claim off the Apple insurance - there aint no short cuts kid!
( Last edited by voicebox; Sep 30, 2006 at 09:34 PM. )

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2006, 10:39 PM

Jamil,
They just replaced the screen, they were going to fix the dent by either replacing the bottom (its not too bad, i will take some picts in the a.m. for ya) but the guys over at melrose mac said they would do it for me as soon as i could bring it in. I needed this thing back asap; i am working on a project this week while i will be on tour so i will get it over to them as soon as i get home. I love Austin btw, playing Stubbs and Emos out doors are two of my most favorite venues we have ever played. I still remember our 1st time moving from the little room at emo's to the outdoor stage on the death cab tour and it felt all 'grown's-up' style way back in 02.We couldn't believe it! Your city treats us out-of-town musicians so amazingly and i dont just mean the SXSW scene either. The last two tours have been with bigger bands so we haven't gotten a chance to play those two venues our last two times through. Bummers . Anyway, Tech Restore did what they said they were going tot do for the price and time they said they were goint to do it. Time will tell how well their product stands up... Keep your fingers crossed.

Voicebox,
I did indeed take responsibility for my actions and the powerbook falling (my second post, 3rd from the top) so do yourself a favor and get to the dentist - there aint no short cuts kids. Did i ask you to buy another pbook for me? No, i didn't. I have no idea what 'whinge'ing is but being a Mac forum, this is where other Mac enthusiasts come to ask questions and discuss their machines and programs in hopes that if they are having issues others can point them in the right direction or to just sing the praises of these great machines. Why would you post without reading the whole thread CAREFULLY? Also, if you actually read my last post schmuck you would have read that the problem has been solved. One more thing. I never 'claimed off' Apple Care I merely was asking if anyone had had it happen to them and how Apple Care handled it if even at all. Luckily i found a 3rd party company (apple certified of course) that charged less than a 3rd for the same service, thanks for your concern. I asked simple questions and your post did nothing to help unlike all of the other posters who actually contributed helpful information... So once again... READ THE WHOLE THREAD CAREFULLY and unless you are going to help or have something useful to say, oh wait, you probably just like wasting your time and coming off like a big guy. Cheers for the big guy everyone!
( Last edited by sadpandas; Sep 30, 2006 at 11:06 PM. )

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2006, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by sadpandas
Jamil,
They just replaced the screen, they were going to fix the dent by either replacing the bottom (its not too bad, i will take some picts in the a.m. for ya) but the guys over at melrose mac said they would do it for me as soon as i could bring it in. I needed this thing back asap; i am working on a project this week while i will be on tour so i will get it over to them as soon as i get home. I love Austin btw, playing Stubbs and Emos out doors are two of my most favorite venues we have ever played. I still remember our 1st time moving from the little room at emo's to the outdoor stage on the death cab tour and it felt all 'grown's-up' style way back in 02.We couldn't believe it! Your city treats us out-of-town musicians so amazingly and i dont just mean the SXSW scene either. The last two tours have been with bigger bands so we haven't gotten a chance to play those two venues our last two times through. Bummers . Anyway, Tech Restore did what they said they were going tot do for the price and time they said they were goint to do it. Time will tell how well their product stands up... Keep your fingers crossed.

Voicebox,
I did indeed take responsibility for my actions and the powerbook falling (my second post, 3rd from the top) so do yourself a favor and get to the dentist - there aint no short cuts kids. Did i ask you to buy another pbook for me? No, i didn't. I have no idea what 'whinge'ing is but being a Mac forum, this is where other Mac enthusiasts come to ask questions and discuss their machines and programs in hopes that if they are having issues others can point them in the right direction or to just sing the praises of these great machines. Why would you post without reading the whole thread CAREFULLY? Also, if you actually read my last post schmuck you would have read that the problem has been solved. One more thing. I never 'claimed off' Apple Care I merely was asking if anyone had had it happen to them and how Apple Care handled it if even at all. Luckily i found a 3rd party company (apple certified of course) that charged less than a 3rd for the same service, thanks for your concern. I asked simple questions and your post did nothing to help unlike all of the other posters who actually contributed helpful information... So once again... READ THE WHOLE THREAD CAREFULLY and unless you are going to help or have something useful to say, oh wait, you probably just like wasting your time and coming off like a big guy. Cheers for the big guy everyone!
Apologies Sadpandas - I seem to have touched a raw nerve!
best
voicebox

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 03:07 PM

Now is the time to update your homeowners or get Safeware Insurance!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 03:13 PM

pix please
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2006, 09:38 PM

Shabbasurai: Charging batteries now for the photo shoot ill get em up tonight.

Romeosc: Being on tour all of the time i haven't purchased a house yet but im also waiting for the downside to the insane housing boom that California has been experiencing for the last 4 years or so. My realtor friend is saying in thte next 2 years housing prices will make more sense than they do right now... Houses are sitting on the market longer than ever, even in the most desirable parts of l.a. Will renter's insurance cover it or should I go ahead and get the Safeware?

voicebox: Apology accepted... It's hard enough that something happen to my baby let alone the fact that I AM TO BLAME Im just glad TecghRestore was able to do it at a 3rd of the Apple prices; someone call the whambulance . "Cheers mate" as this one English producer i know says to me.... a lot . Also, i apologize for the name calling and acting like a 8 year old. I too am sick of the countless threads of people asking questions without searching 1st and bitching about Apple Care as well as others trying to take advantage of Apple Care. Now, with that said here is another 'special circumstances' question.

One more question for you guys; About 6 months ago i contacted Apple Care regarding the fact that my 't' key on my keyboard does this when i barely touch it 'ttttttttttttt', and i do mean barely, they said that it indeed fall under thte Apple Care program and thtey would fix it at no cost. They sent me out a box but i was on the road when they did and when i got home i had 2 projects to finish so I never sent it in. Apple Care wrote me a letter saying my claim has now expired. I know i should have boxed it up and lived without it because whenever i type anything with a 't' it takes me forever to go back over it and erase the extra 't's (like im doing now). Here is the question; With me taking my sweet ass time and apple care canceled my claim and order does that mean that i can no longer get this fixed through them? Also, would me dropping the machine and them seeing the dent if i were to send it in blame it on the drop even though they have record of me contacting them about the issue months ago? Again, im not trying to pull one over on the fine folks at apple I just would like this issue fixed asap and i'm sick of editing every word with a 't' in it.... Takes me forever to write a post or email.

Finally, thanks for reading this far and FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP. Yes, i know im yelling but i can't stress the fact that i appreciate all of the constructive help you all have provided. THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Cheers ,
P
( Last edited by sadpandas; Oct 1, 2006 at 09:53 PM. )

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2006, 02:35 AM

Here are the picts. The DVI out slot still works and the new screen looks better than my old one. I am wondering however if i should buy a new bottom case for her even though everything still seems to be working.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2006, 12:32 PM

shabbasuraj,

Here are those picts of my book. Doesn't look too bad but still hurts the heart

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 12:45 PM

I would see about getting that bottom part fixed the putting the claim in again to get the key fixed if it's still under warranty. Maybe TechRestore could just fix all that for you if Apple won't do it. It's great to hear about them I've been wondering how the experience with them was. I never met anyone who had ever dealt with them.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2006, 11:36 PM

Typoon

I cant say enough about them. They offer to send you a box but i just boxed it myself and sent it 2 day on a tuesday (with insurance it came out to $25). They got it on Thursday and I got it back by noon on Friday. As i said before, this screen looks better than the one that i was looking at the week prior to my idiotic mistake.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 02:14 AM

Ouch.. those pics hurt...

But in reality it looks like it is mostly cosmetic.

So at this moment what is still wrong with your computer?

If everything is working then keep using it and take the whole situation as a 'learning experience/accident' and continue to use the computer.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 03:09 AM

Shabba, (said just like he would)

Yeah, it was a bitter sweet day. I was closing purchasing a new car when i picked up my bag and then i heard the unmistakable 'THUD'. I looked down and sure enough the corner was a bit dented and the dvi out was bent although right when i came home and hooked up my external monitor it still worked. I had it gone over by Melrose Mac completely and they gave it a full diagnostic test and all that was wrong was the screen.

Now that the new screen is in it's like it never happened. pbfixit.com or ifixit.com has the bottom for around $200 and i bet the labor would be around the same. So if i were to do it. all in all it would still be cheaper for what Apple quoted me to just replace the screen. I can live with the dented bottom and side butt i still need to get this 'tttttttt' issue fixed. I am going to bring it back to melrose mac tomorrow to see if the can bend the port back in a bit and see what they have tot say about the 'ttttttttt' issue.

and yes, i have gone away from this with learning experience of knowing THERE IS A REASON I BOUGHT A SLEEVE FOR THIS SO I HAVE TO USE IT!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 04:44 AM

Great to hear that the screen is operational and just think of it as an 'upgrade' since you stated earlier that the new screen is better.

(it probably has better specs in terms of brightness, or maybe not... but just tell yourself it does, so you don't feel as bad. LOL)

With regards to the bent metal, I say just place the bent part down(side) on a flat sturdy surface and muscle it back flat. Or 'gently' tap it back down with a rubber mallet or plastic mallet or a cloth covered regular hammer. Again, the operative word is gently tap/push it back down. This is a common fix for the corner of our beloved Al skinned PB's.

With regards to the key, just tell the store that this happened well before the drop and they should not give you much hassle, and buid your case on the dates in which you reported the problem but never got around to fixing it. It sounds like a quick fix though.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 04:57 AM

CHAAAAABA (i think thats how he really says it)

I was thinking the same thing about the 'tttttt' key issue in regards to the o.g. complaint and im sure when i go to Melrose Mac tomorrow they will be doing some 'soft and gentle taping' to hopefully flatten that 'wrinkle' out.

I also took the time today to order a new battery since mine won't hold a chartge and hasn't since before the now notorious fall from fast mac on recommendations from other posters on this forum. Ordered today and expected to arrive on friday... I guess all thats left is a clean install and it will be 'almost' like a new machine....

thanks for your concern and well-wishing in my time of FREAKING OUT. I can't believe how dependent and attached i have become to this pbook. I will update you tomorrow after my visit to Melrose Mac.

pandas

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 08:56 AM

SadPandas, I know what you mean. I think once you have a powerbook you never realize how attached to it you are until you face the prospect of not having it. I just upgraded to a Macbook but I still don't think I would know what to do if I didn't have it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 01:31 PM

all of my 'trustafarian' friends (those with rich parents all have their new macbooks burning their ballz off while wearing speedos and computing (im totally kiding here). That wasone fo my options though was to keep the $500 + shipping and save the $100 diagonostics from my neighborhood mac (independent shop) and not buy a new battery and just buy a mac book but i wanna wait till January at least then make my descision around then since there has been so much speculation as to a new version coming out by thenl.... with that said.. i love my baby and really am happy shes back in my loving arms . anyway, thanks again for all of your support and help you guys are 'bomb' as the hipsters say in an ironic way.

p

phayd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2006, 06:32 PM

To the person who posted the pictures - you should take the bottom case off and unbend it if you are comfortable with taking it apart (the bottom case is the last part to be taken off.)

About a month ago, I dropped my powerbook about 8 feet onto a steel bar. Fortunately, it landed on its side so the screen didn't break, although there is a deep scratch in it. (right side- USB, Firewire ports). However, the two ports were relatively unusable as there was the imprint of the steel bar on it.

I took it apart and bent the case back to approximately the right shape. While it isn't perfect, I can use the ports.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2006, 08:53 PM

sadpandas, that dent on the back of you PowerBook looks a lot like the dent I got on my Canon PowerShot S40 when I dropped it in a movie theater as I was trying to answer my phone and didn't had just taken the camera strap off my wrist. It still works fine, thankfully.

Glad you got the screen fixed for a somewhat reasonable price. :-)
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by phayd
To the person who posted the pictures - you should take the bottom case off and unbend it if you are comfortable with taking it apart (the bottom case is the last part to be taken off.)
I agree. Unless you manage to get a bottom case from eBay for cheap (won't happen), I think you should straighten it out yourself.

Search the net for the MacBook Pro manual for proper disassembly instructions. You will NEVER get it apart yourself without screwing it up. The instructions are a bit complex.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2006, 12:20 AM

ifixit.com has the bottom case for $169.00 so i dont know what ebay would sell it for or what you would consider 'cheap' and i think i could get an apple tech i know to do the fix for a reasonable price but for now i think i can live with the dent. I would never try and do it myself... Talk about a train wreck .

ccsccs7, sorry to hear about your camera; i just got a powershot a630 yesterday to replace my older powershot (3 mega pixel). So far I love it, just can't wait to spend a little more time with her. there are a ton of new features.

Forum Links
Forum Rules