Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can someone try a utility for me?

Can someone try a utility for me?
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 12:05 PM

This is kind of a strange request, but I have had a file search utility created for both the Mac and the PC and the developer has given me a version to test for the Mac... the problem is that I don't have a mac to test it on. (Doh!)

Is someone willing to give it a shot for me and let me know if it works (and provide me a screen-shot)?

The application is supposed to take a comma delimited list of filenames and find them all starting at whatever directory is picked as the starting directory. The resulting files that are found should appear in a result list and should be drag-able, copyable, etc. just as you would normally be able to do from the built in search application (finder?).

The reason that this application was built is because we run a photography proofing service and when an order is placed for 200 images, we wanted an easy way to find all 200 files without having to search for them all manually.

Here is where the application can be downloaded: http://www.instaproofs.com/temp/FileSearch_Mac.zip

If someone (or multiple people) could test this for me, that would be awesome.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2007, 12:18 PM

Took me a moment to figure out that I had to type in a search string at the top (from your description I first thought it would just return a list of all files in the directory I specified, which would, of course, have been rather pointless), and another moment to figure out that I had to specify the exact filename, including file extension, or it wouldn’t find anything (tried with * and % as wildcards, which yielded no results). Of course, this is less relevant if you’ll always be receiving file names as comma-separated values from a database dump or something similar.

Other than that, it seemed to work like what you described.

Screenshots:

Just opened app

Search yielded 0 results (note: “metamorf” is the name of a folder, so apparently it only finds files, not folders—not sure if this is intended or not)

Search that actually yielded a result (I tried thinking of something that would give perhaps five or six results, but only managed to find either one result or 50, which would have made the screenshot too big)

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 05:22 PM

Thanks for looking at this for me! It looks about how I was expecting, so that is nice.

I had someone else test it just a minute ago, and the drag and drop ability for the resulting files does not appear to be working... guess it's time to get the whip cracking on this developer!

Forum Links
Forum Rules