Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car insurance gone wild, WTF?

Car insurance gone wild, WTF?
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 12:31 AM

So, this Monday I'm buying a 2008 Gallardo Spyder (been shopping for a year now and finally found a great deal). I'm stoked, been looking forward to this for quite a while. Then, I get the quote from State Farm, who insures all of our stuff.

I'm >40.
Married.
Lived in the same place for >10 years.
No accidents... ever.
No tickets on my record, at all.

How much? Get this... $1440 for full coverage every six months, just for that car. That's more than double what I pay for my M3. I've checked other places and it's the same story, or worse. It's actually a pretty safe car, just an Audi R8 wearing a nice Italian suit, and I'll only be driving it an est. 5-10k mi /yr. Also, it's not like I live in a high crime area, and it'll be kept in a garage with a security system. My agent says it's likely because of the girls... but they're accident free and ticket free too. That's just ridiculous. I mean, I have to get the insurance, and I suppose I could just drop the collision coverage, but there's no reason why it's that much. It's highway robbery.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2011, 12:36 AM

I don't think 'safe' has so much to do with it as 'exotic'.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I don't think 'safe' has so much to do with it as 'exotic'.
It's an Audi wearing extra carbon fiber and a bull badge. I checked on an R8 V10, just for the hell of it, and it was $500 less. They're tagging me for $1k extra /yr just because of the brand, which is obnoxious.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2011, 12:48 AM

There's probably something to it, like significantly higher cost in replacing body paneling/headlights... etc.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2011, 01:02 AM

Well.. I find that amount quite reasonable! I pay that amount for my 2005 Mazda3! 29 years old, 13 years driving experience without an accident, lived in the same place for 10 years, only driver, don't use it for work/school, etc.. Are insurance cheaper in the states or I'm being raped?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2011, 01:30 AM

I'm 26 and paying $170 for liability with Uninsured Motorist and a ton of extra medical from Progressive.

Hooray for owning a family sedan! (and having a spotless driving record and wicked credit score)
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2011, 02:35 AM

Mine is double that every 6mo for my car and my motorcycle. Mitsubishi Lancer, and a ducati streetfighter. The insurance payment is higher than either the bike or the car payment... 1 accident and 5 speeding tickets.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 03:20 AM

For one, that doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Then, don't the Gallardos have a reputation for failed steering?

Also, insurances work off statistics, including incurred damage per automobile on average. I'm sure a Gallardo on average encourages vastly more risky behavior. And with a Gallardo, any ****-up is going to be hella expensive.

If you want to profit from being a reasonable man, don't buy cars driven by complete assholes.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
For one, that doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Also, insurances work off statistics, including incurred damage per automobile on average. I'm sure a Gallardo on average encourages vastly more risky behavior. And with a Gallardo, any ****-up is going to be hella expensive.

If you want to profit from being a reasonable man, don't buy cars driven by complete assholes.
Not sure about any steering issues, but like I said it's basically a V10 Audi that's lighter and more attractive. Of all the "supercars" it has the reputation of being the most reliable, on the whole. Well, I think the Wiesmann MF4 Roadster is up there too, but those are wicked hard to get in the States.

Can't say the Gallardo is a car driven by assholes. I usually only think "asshole" when I see a Porsche 911, especially a turbo.

I did check out, online, how much it would cost to drop collision completely and the price drops by a massive $920. So, I guess the body is the killer. I'll just drop that and pay out of pocket if it gets dinged or damaged.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not sure about any steering issues, but like I said it's basically a V10 Audi that's lighter and more attractive. Of all the "supercars" it has the reputation of being the most reliable, on the whole. Well, I think the Wiesmann MF4 Roadster is up there too, but those are wicked hard to get in the States.

Can't say the Gallardo is a car driven by assholes. I usually only think "asshole" when I see a Porsche 911, especially a turbo.
Ah, the market obviously works differently in the States than here. I forgot.

The Wiesmann, IMO, has the distinct advantage of actually having class (which the Lambos lack entirely — that may be the market thing again), plus I think the Lambos sound like shit: buzzy, nasty, sneeringly thin, like a nouveau riche brat or party pimp desperate for attention (I used to live off Reeperbahn for years and actually got to see a fair number of Lambos).

I've seen a couple Wiesmanns around (the neighbor at one of the places I work owns one). Gorgeous.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2011, 05:22 AM

I remember reading probably over a decade ago that Rowan Atkinson had to £25k a year to insure his Mclaren F1. It was probably three times before he crashed it a month or so back.
A car magazine got a quote for an Aston Martin Vantage V12 back in the late 90s. It was for a 17 year old and he did live in or near Liverpool but the quote for 3rd party only was about £112k. Again it would probably be triple that now and more than the value of the car.

$3k a year for a supercar is cheap.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 05:52 AM

Ah, the market obviously works differently in the States than here. I forgot.

The Wiesmann, IMO, has the distinct advantage of actually having class (which the Lambos lack entirely — that may be the market thing again), plus I think the Lambos sound like shit: buzzy, nasty, sneeringly thin, like a nouveau riche brat or party pimp desperate for attention (I used to live off Reeperbahn for years and actually got to see a fair number of Lambos).

I've seen a couple Wiesmanns around (the neighbor at one of the places I work owns one). Gorgeous.
I like the exhaust note of the Gallardo, it's better than the Aventador or Murciélago, IMO. The Audi V10 is a decent instrument. Of course, it's the way that it handles that has me hooked, it's just a scalpel of car. Small, precise, and very planted. I've driven a lot of different sports cars, and nothing out there distinguishes itself like a 2008+ Gallardo, for the price... which is $98K used. Yeah, it's an incredible deal.

As for Wiesmann, specifically the MF4 and MF5s, they are amazing cars (basically a Beemer in gentlemen's trousers). I have seen exactly one on this side of the pond because they don't pass all of our collision tests, so you sort of have to bend the laws a bit to get your hands on one here in Amerika. Then there's getting it insured, and I can't imagine that's anything but a nightmare. However, if they did sell them in the States, I'd buy one. Breathtaking coachwork, to be sure.
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 07:07 AM

No, that was the Murciélago.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 07:11 AM

I'm >40.
Married.
Lived in the same place for >10 years.
No accidents... ever.
No tickets on my record, at all.

How much? Get this... $1440 for full coverage every six months, just for that car.
Kinda reasonable.
My insurance just bumped me from $1,145 to $1,964 for an eight year old Grand Cherokee - no change in circumstance from last year at all. It's that 2.5% inflation rate we hear about which does it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2011, 07:26 AM

Car insurance over here is a giant clusterf**k.

There was a point maybe 10 years ago when everyone's premiums pretty much doubled. The reason for this that was never terribly publicised was that the NHS started billing insurance companies for treatments needed by people who had accidents on the road.

I can at least see how that would cause premiums to sky rocket in a very short time but its gone up again and again and I have no idea what any of the more recent "justifications" might be. I do have a feeling that certain companies policies of "If we can't find you guilty of fraud within 30 days we'll just pay your claim" have something to do with it. There is also a general attitude of "Just pay whatever the hell people claim for, don't investigate, don't question just add it to everyone else's premiums the following year"

A friend of mine damaged the bumper on a neighbours minivan. Neighbour claimed about £5000 and never got it repaired. For some reason the insurance company don't seem to care. Also there is a lot of paying out going on to people who were responsible for damage on the policies of those who weren't.

Over here, if you dinged your new Lambo, you could just gently bump it into some elses crapwagon in a car park, note down their number plate and claim on their insurance. Chances are you'd get a payout.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

finboy
Sep 3, 2011, 11:06 AM

I had a Mitsubishi/Chrysler once that had some expensive glass in it, and my Comprehensive went way up because of that. The back window was worth more than the car.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2011, 12:12 PM

My first car cost me £300 in 1997. The first years insurance was over £800 third party, fire & theft.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2011, 12:44 PM

$3k/yr sounds about right for a car with repair bills like a Gallardo.

I pay $1200/yr for full coverage on my M3. I drive 5-10k/yr, no accidents, one non-moving violation 6 years ago.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No, that was the Murciélago.
Wasn't that the model that the stability control would just die suddenly, leaving the driver with no ability to turn at all? You'd be driving along and then find yourself in a fence row @100MPH.
- Thomas Paine

Rumor
Sep 3, 2011, 01:35 PM

Replacement cost. That is what it really boils down to. If you want to post a few of the cost breakdowns, I can try to help you trim it a bit. I did work for SF for about five years, though I am in CA.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2011, 05:04 PM

Sorry, but compaining about $2800 yearly insurance on a $200,000 car is ludicrous. Boo hoo.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 05:32 PM

Wasn't that the model that the stability control would just die suddenly, leaving the driver with no ability to turn at all? You'd be driving along and then find yourself in a fence row @100MPH.
Not that I remember. Apparently, it was something to do with the steering - they'd suddenly take a 90 degree turn when you were tootling along in a straight line at 100 MPH. Lambo never admitted the problem, but there's been about 15 identical cases.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2011, 05:33 PM

Yeah, my insurance went up a bit after I got my Lancer Sportsback.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2011, 05:34 PM

Let's see: It's an Italian exotic car known for being stolen, raced, catching on fire, and having catastrophic breakdowns while being driven, and it's powered by a V10. Do you expect insurance to be as cheap as a BMW Cockmobile, which is based off of the everyone-and-their-mom-has-one 328i?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2011, 08:31 PM

You forgot to add "and everyone going through a Midlife crisis"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2011, 09:00 PM

Most of the Gallardos I've seen have been driven by Valley-type 20-somethings. Unless you're referring to the BMW, which is true

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Sorry, but compaining about $2800 yearly insurance on a $200,000 car is ludicrous. Boo hoo.
It's not a $200K car, I'm paying under $100K. Try and keep up if you're going to discuss this with us.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 11:34 PM

Hmm... lots of smart asses making envious/snarky comments. Whodathunkit?

So, the only people who can make threads about their "new" cars are those who are paying <$30K?

"Hey guys! I just bought a 5 year old Ford with a 4cyl turbo!" > "That's awesome!"
"I bought a Gallardo and the insurance is a little crazy." > "lol, midlife crisis." "Serves you right for buying an expensive car."

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Let's see: It's an Italian exotic car known for being stolen, raced, catching on fire, and having catastrophic breakdowns while being driven, and it's powered by a V10. Do you expect insurance to be as cheap as a BMW Cockmobile, which is based off of the everyone-and-their-mom-has-one 328i?
It's a proven platform made by one of the largest automakers in the world. The 2008 has no issues that you've mentioned, it's one of the reasons I chose it. Plus, I live in a very low crime area. FWIW, I don't know people who race Lambos or Ferraris, usually they're lightly driven on weekends and gently rubbed with a diaper every day. Not that I'll be doing that, I plan on taking it out for some fun and spirited runs through the mountains and enjoying it.

BMW "Cockmobile"? Have you driven a V8 M3? It's one of the best sport coupes ever built and head and shoulders over the 328i. You mash the M button and watch the world blur. I was even considering trading my old one in for the new model, but with the baby on the way I'm going to go for the M5.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2011, 11:45 PM

Hmm... lots of smart asses making envious/snarky comments. Whodathunkit?

So, the only people who can make threads about their "new" cars are those who are paying <$30K?

"Hey guys! I just bought a 5 year old Ford with a 4cyl turbo!" > "That's awesome!"
"I bought a Gallardo and the insurance is a little crazy." > "lol, midlife crisis." "Serves you right for buying an expensive car."
There's a difference between making a car thread saying someone got a new car vs complaining about insurance for an expensive car.

[QUOTE[ It's a proven platform made by one of the largest automakers in the world. The 2008 has no issues that you've mentioned, it's one of the reasons I chose it. Plus, I live in a very low crime area. FWIW, I don't know people who race Lambos or Ferraris, usually they're lightly driven on weekends and gently rubbed with a diaper every day. Not that I'll be doing that, I plan on taking it out for some fun and spirited runs through the mountains and enjoying it.[/QUOTE]

That's all good and well, but to an insurance company, it's still a 3,300 lbs ball of expenses. They don't care that it's made by Audi, because if something happens to it, Audi sure as hell won't be the ones fixing it.

BMW "Cockmobile"? Have you driven a V8 M3? It's one of the best sport coupes ever built and head and shoulders over the 328i. You mash the M button and watch the world blur. I was even considering trading my old one in for the new model, but with the baby on the way I'm going to go for the M5.
No I haven't driven an E90 or E92, and it doesn't matter. There is a world of difference between a M3 and a Gallardo. An insurance company doesn't care if it's the best sports coupe ever built, it's still a mass-production car that follows the formula used by BMW in every sedan and coupe they build. The Gallardo is a purpose-built supercar. It isn't made to ferry children around and go to the shops, like an M3 can do happily. It would prefer not to be sitting "safely" in traffic, but on a track. Insurance companies realize that and will charge accordingly.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 12:37 AM

There's a difference between making a car thread saying someone got a new car vs complaining about insurance for an expensive car.
Based on the comments, and my experience with the people around here, no there isn't.

That's all good and well, but to an insurance company, it's still a 3,300 lbs ball of expenses. They don't care that it's made by Audi, because if something happens to it, Audi sure as hell won't be the ones fixing it.
Actually, the Knoxville Audi center is the one listed as the shop in my area to take it for servicing.

No I haven't driven an E90 or E92, and it doesn't matter. There is a world of difference between a M3 and a Gallardo. An insurance company doesn't care if it's the best sports coupe ever built, it's still a mass-production car that follows the formula used by BMW in every sedan and coupe they build. The Gallardo is a purpose-built supercar. It isn't made to ferry children around and go to the shops, like an M3 can do happily. It would prefer not to be sitting "safely" in traffic, but on a track. Insurance companies realize that and will charge accordingly.
It's a modern car, not some McLaren F1 or a Countach, it's comfortable doing anything. You may not know, few do, but most "supercars" are very tame now in terms of capabilities and ownership. It's not like back in the day when you needed your mechanic to ride with you just in case the car broke down on the way back from the gym. Even Ferrari has been domesticated, much to Jeremy Clarkson's dismay. In fact, the only boutique car makers still around who run the ragged edge are Spyker and Pagani, all the others have at least some type of larger corporate oversight and funding.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2011, 12:56 AM

Based on the comments, and my experience with the people around here, no there isn't.
Okay. I haven't heard anyone else complaining about insurance premiums for their whatever. Complaining about insurance premiums on a supercar is like complaining about the Space Shuttle's emissions. It's just a little weird to hear about someone who a couple threads ago said to be worth $xx,xxx,xxx complain about $1440 every six months.
Actually, the Knoxville Audi center is the one listed as the shop in my area to take it for servicing.
I was talking about in the event of something happening that required the intervention of insurance. AKA, if you back it into something (likely), Audi aren't going to be the ones to order the parts. They'll work on most of the mechanicals (the post-2008 is pretty similar to the 5.2 FSi R8, as you know), but insurance will send it to a specialist for anything else. And remember, you're not paying to service or repair a $98k car. You're paying to service or repair a $200k car.
t's a modern car, not some McLaren F1 or a Countach, it's comfortable doing anything. You may not know, few do, but most "supercars" are very tame now in terms of capabilities and ownership. It's not like back in the day when you needed your mechanic to ride with you just in case the car broke down on the way back from the gym. Even Ferrari has been domesticated, much to Jeremy Clarkson's dismay. In fact, the only boutique car makers still around who run the ragged edge are Spyker and Pagani, all the others have at least some type of larger corporate oversight and funding.
It still is a vastly different car than a M3. I can't believe you're actually arguing this. If I were to trade my Accord coupe for a VW GTi, shouldn't I expect insurance premiums to increase? Why wouldn't you expect them to increase from a M3 to a Gallardo?

ChrisF
Senior User
Sep 4, 2011, 12:59 AM

It's not a $200K car, I'm paying under $100K. Try and keep up if you're going to discuss this with us.
That you're buying the car used doesn't mean the replacement parts are any less expensive. The quote you got is entirely reasonable, and coming onto a computer forum to complain about that just doesn't give a good impression. As you've read, there are lots of people paying that much for far less expensive vehicles.
If you decide to go ahead and buy this car, you'd be a fool to not have it fully insured (this presumes you aren't financing the car, otherwise full coverage would typically be required by the lender.) A friend with a 2010 Jetta was just in a relatively minor accident, though the car was not drivable. Repair cost: $7500. No fault was established, which meant that each driver's insurance paid for damage on each car. I can only imagine what that would have cost had he been driving a Lamborghini. "Penny wise, dollar foolish" comes to mind.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 08:01 AM

Okay. I haven't heard anyone else complaining about insurance premiums for their whatever. Complaining about insurance premiums on a supercar is like complaining about the Space Shuttle's emissions. It's just a little weird to hear about someone who a couple threads ago said to be worth $xx,xxx,xxx complain about $1440 every six months.
People who have money are loathe to throw money away, that's one of the reasons why they have it. 250% more than a daily driver M3, for a car that is listed as a strictly pleasure vehicle, is a little excessive. It's not a big deal, I thought it would make an interesting anecdote, but it seems that it's just another thing that makes people around here angry. "Grrr, why would you complain? Now we're mad at you. Grrr."

I was talking about in the event of something happening that required the intervention of insurance. AKA, if you back it into something (likely), Audi aren't going to be the ones to order the parts. They'll work on most of the mechanicals (the post-2008 is pretty similar to the 5.2 FSi R8, as you know), but insurance will send it to a specialist for anything else. And remember, you're not paying to service or repair a $98k car. You're paying to service or repair a $200k car.
Nope, they're still the repair center.

It still is a vastly different car than a M3. I can't believe you're actually arguing this. If I were to trade my Accord coupe for a VW GTi, shouldn't I expect insurance premiums to increase? Why wouldn't you expect them to increase from a M3 to a Gallardo?
See above.

Edit: Oh, and there's the thing where I was casually told by my agent, 5-6 months ago, "It'll be @700-800 bucks".
( Last edited by Shaddim; Sep 4, 2011 at 08:15 AM. )
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
That you're buying the car used doesn't mean the replacement parts are any less expensive. The quote you got is entirely reasonable, and coming onto a computer forum to complain about that just doesn't give a good impression. As you've read, there are lots of people paying that much for far less expensive vehicles.
If you decide to go ahead and buy this car, you'd be a fool to not have it fully insured (this presumes you aren't financing the car, otherwise full coverage would typically be required by the lender.) A friend with a 2010 Jetta was just in a relatively minor accident, though the car was not drivable. Repair cost: $7500. No fault was established, which meant that each driver's insurance paid for damage on each car. I can only imagine what that would have cost had he been driving a Lamborghini. "Penny wise, dollar foolish" comes to mind.
I don't wreck cars or ding them, so in this case I'd rather just pay in the unlikely event that I actually do. I'd still have comprehensive.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 08:11 AM

People who have money are loathe to throw money away, that's one of the reasons why they have it.
There's obvious truth in that, but the fact that you're blowing it on a toy kind of negates it.
250% more than a daily driver M3, for a car that is listed as a strictly pleasure vehicle, is a little excessive.
That's exactly it.

A toy is driven *very* differently from something that, in most cases, qualifies as a family sedan, or at least is a representative vehicle (though again, the market in the US may work quite differently from here).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2011, 09:31 AM

Well you bought a car whose only purpose is to shout to the world "Look at me, I'm rich! I'm rich, look at me! Look at me! Look at me! I'm rich!" and you're shocked that State Farm is going to charge you that much to insure it?

And, hey wait, that's what this post is for too. You know that 99% of the people on here can't relate in any way, you just wanted to talk about how you can buy a Lamborghini. It's important for you to let us all know you're buying a Lamborghini.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 10:02 AM

That's exactly what a Lambo is, here; hence my post up above.

I can't judge whether it's just so enormously fun to drive that it's worth getting just for that, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and just call it a "toy" rather than a "penile prosthesis", which is definitely appropriate to the German market.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2011, 10:57 AM

Why does the insurance company want so much to insure a Lambo?
lamborghini crash - Google Search

Quit whining.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2011, 12:09 PM

It's just businesses who have money being loathe to throw money away.

It's kinda fun watching people who have money take advantage of people who have money.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2011, 12:10 PM

It's all about actuary tables, nothing else. The statistics show that certain brands/types of cars are more prone to accidents. They don't give a crap about your own sterling driving record. The tables show the Gallardo is a high-risk car for them to insure, so you pay extra for it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2011, 12:42 PM

Have you shopped around for other quotes?

Are you including coverage for off-road (track) driving?

hayesk
Sep 4, 2011, 01:15 PM

People who have money are loathe to throw money away, that's one of the reasons why they have it.
Huh? You are buying a supercar. There are two reasons to own a supercar:
- to drive it like one
- to shout to the world how rich you are.

So, if you are buying it to drive it like one, then your insurance quote is pretty damned cheap and you should jump on it.

If you are buying it to shout to the world "I am rich" then your point of people having money are loathe to throw it away is a big disingenuous.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2011, 01:38 PM

I've kept up just fine; just because you paid 100k for it doesn't mean it isn't a 200k car.

Regardless, I could easily had just inserted 100k into my original post if it makes you feel better but it won't change the fact that you're a guy complaining about paying a paltry sum in insurance relative to the value of the vehicle. Whether you realize it or not, that's an insult to many.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2011, 02:15 PM

If a magical elf came to me and told me I could have a brand new Lamborghini, for free, with all of the maintenance and insurance and all related costs provided for free, for the lifetime of the car, (and I'm not allowed to sell it). I would say no.

Because I would just feel like an ass driving it around. A total ass.

When a "normal" person sees a Lamborghini driving down the road, the first thing they think is, "What kind of jerk off owns that car. Probably a trust fund baby with tiny genitals, or some idiot with more money then sense." It's like putting on a 3 foot high jewel encrusted sombrero. It just screams, LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I HAVE STATUS! AND MONEY! LOOK AT ME! Whether you think that's the message you send with the car or not, that's the message almost everyone receives.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Have you shopped around for other quotes?
This, too.

I dunno about Amerika, but when I shopped around for my current vehicle, the insurance premiums from other companies with identical coverage were easily double what I'm paying now.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2011, 03:50 PM

Lot of sour grapes in this thread. Congrats on the new toy, Shaddim.

PS. Insurance is the biggest reason I decided not to get another car when my last one died. Maintenance cost was a big one too, but insurance cost is ensured I wouldn't mind paying for a convenience-not-necessity, but to keep paying constantly was over the line.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2011, 03:51 PM

You people are disgusting.

The man has a point with his insurance, and berating him for bringing up just because the dollar amounts are more than you're used to seeing in your bank account is disgusting.

On topic:

Have you asked the insurance company why its so much more expensive than you would think?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
We're in a recession. There are many on this board who are un-or-underemployed. People with copious amounts of personal wealth tend to catch flack during times like this.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying you shouldn't be so surprised.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2011, 04:20 PM

I'm not taking any offence or being in any way irate. My replies were intended to offer comparison and perspective.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post

The man has a point with his insurance, and berating him for bringing up just because the dollar amounts are more than you're used to seeing in your bank account is disgusting.
Really? I'm pretty sure that if I came on here to complain about cost of fuel for the Learjet I had just bought, the responses would be about the same. Would you call anyone who objected to those theoretical complaints "disgusting" too? Would the OP? I doubt it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules