Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Time Capsule Slow to Access

Time Capsule Slow to Access
phkc070408
Aug 15, 2016, 03:44 AM

I have a Time Capsule and it is getting extremely full. I want to go into the various backups and remove files that I know I don't need. Also some files are duplicated (I had them on the desktop for a while and then relocated them to the proper folder).

Whenever I go into my Time Machine, it takes forever for the contents of a particular backup to load, if it ever loads. Usually it freezes and I have to restart the computer to get out of the time machine.

I performed ran first aid on the disk and it found a few things, but it is still failing to load my backups. It gets stuck on "Waiting."

Note that this happens on both a MacBoo Pro connected over Wifi as well as a Mac Mini connected through Ethernet.

If anyone has any ideas as to what is going on, I would appreciate it. Note that I do have another backup of everything that I keep at a remote location (in case of fire or theft) but I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Thank's in advance.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 15, 2016, 06:58 PM

What kind of errors did Disk Utility report? Certain errors on TM volumes can be ignored, like "incorrect icon flag".

A full disk and heavy fragmentation is the most likely explanation. Though the HD could be failing, you can't do much about that. It may show a few GB free, but with heavy fragmentation, most of that free space will be in small KB-sized fragments. Which really slows things down.

First thing: clear some scratch space. Access it via ethernet, to eliminate any wireless questions. Use the Finder instead of the TM interface. Go to:

/(time capsule volume)/Backups.backupdb/(your computer name)/(snapshot folders)/

Go to the oldest snapshot folders, move a few to the Trash, empty the Trash. Assuming you're backing up multiple computers, you might do this step within each computer's folder. note: the Finder will take a long time to empty TM snapshots from the trash.

Repeat as needed until you've got a decent amount free, say 100 GB. Then try Time Machine again. If speed returns to normal, you're done.

If you have iDefrag and/or DiskWarrior, those would be useful to run after you have free space again. They'll also take a long time.

phkc070408  (op)
Aug 16, 2016, 09:17 AM

I have iDefrag and I attempted to run it, but the Time Capsule isn't showing as a volume. The only volumes I see are the Local Hard Drive and the Recovery Disk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules