Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Tax Time: Sell MDD G4 for Powerbook?

Tax Time: Sell MDD G4 for Powerbook?
loh
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 07:19 PM

Hey All...

Its that time of the year again, got my tax return back and I'm getting tempted on these powerbooks. I currently own the MDD in my sig (Dual 867mhz) with 17" Studio Display LCD. What im thinking is, with tiger coming out, I am looking at having to get a video card upgrade to support motion, plus a DVI to ADC adapter so I can continue to use the ASD. That would come out to at least $300, and I was also thinking about getting a DVD-R drive. do you guys think it would be a good time to sell my G4, and get a notebook? I was looking at the 1.5ghz 15" PB. How would performace compare with my current machine and the powerbook?

Thanks!
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2005, 11:44 PM

The PB is almost twice as fast in clock speed and is a lot more versatile (in respect to portability), but your MDD has the second processor, which makes a great deal of difference. If you would like the extra portability, it may be worth it. On the other hand, G5 PBs will be here eventually, and you may regret the purchase of a G4 if the G5 comes any time soon. If I were in your position, I am pretty sure I would keep the MDD, but it really depends on what you want.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 12:30 AM

I currently have a 17" 1ghz PBook, and a G5 1.6 tower. If I could only keep one, it would be the PowerBook. I don't find myself doing that many taxing things (where the G5 is clearly better, GarageBand and iMovie and such) so the mobility and 'never-without-it'-ness of the 'book is very nice. Wireless router and surfing from the couch, I love it.

loh  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 12:41 AM

Yeah it makes my decision kinda tough. Ive been starting to learn web design more thoroughly (Flash,etc.) and I like being able to have the mobility of having a laptop and being able to use it at work etc. but I really like the power of my desktop cpu. Since I'm looking at about $400 in upgrades for my G4 in order to run Tiger, I'm figuring now is the best time if ever to go for a notebook. I figure I could get 1000 for my machine, plus 400 for my ASD. Powerbook runs me $1800, so I end up spending the same amount if I were to the the upgrade. Your opinions are appreciated.
( Last edited by loh; Feb 17, 2005 at 12:46 AM. )
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

Forum Links
Forum Rules