Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to access cable modem webserver via router?

How to access cable modem webserver via router?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 06:58 PM

Hi,

I have a Surfboard cable modem, which is connected to a router. I am behind the router (i.e. with a local address), and want to connect to the webserver in the cable modem. Anyway I can do this? Like maybe I have to change the router settings?

Thanks!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2005, 07:28 PM

you have to go in to the router setup, look for port forwarding and forward port 80 to the ip of the web serving machine. You may also have to go in to the router and designate a particular ip address to the web serving machine (for example: tell the router to always assign 192.168.0.2 to the web serving machine, and then forward port 80 to 192.168.0.2). Then, if someone surf's to your external IP (the Surfboard modem's IP),the router will forward that request to the appropriate machine.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 15, 2005, 08:01 PM

That's the answer to a different question. The OP's question is how to access the cable modem's configuration interface through the router.

The answer is, you can't. The cable modems normally use a 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x. address for their web interface -- those are "private" IP addresses, and one defining characteristic of private addresses is that they are non-routable. If your router allowed you access to such an address on its WAN port, that would be considered a massive malfunction.

You really have no choice but to connect directly to the modem.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 15, 2005, 08:26 PM

I see very little problem in the once-in-a-great-while process of disconnecting your computer's ethernet cable from its router port and plugging it into the port on the cable modem-you're not likely to need to change the modem's setup very often, and we're only talking about relocating two cables (the one from the modem to the router and the one from the computer). At least it will help you keep the dust on those cables to a minimum. And besides, as tooki says, it's the ONLY way to access the modem's setup.

Oh, and this is entirely networking in nature, so I'm moving it there (as the information in the Peripherals forum header says, networking doesn't go there).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 09:25 PM

ghporter: sorry about the wrong forum - I had forgotten about the networking forum.

Also, the reason why I can't plug my computer into the cable modem is because it is not in an accessible place. It also tends to hang up a lot (faulty, I know), which is why I need to restart it. SInce I can't access it in person, I need to do it via my computer to restart it.

So there is no way to have the Netgear router try to access the local ip of the cable modem via the WAN port and forward it to my computer?

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 09:31 PM

Well, I just found out how to do it..

I went to: "http://192.168.100.1" (my cable modem IP), and the router let me access it!

Doh! I should have tried before I asked, but didn't think it would work!

Forum Links
Forum Rules