Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Alternative OS Reference > The Official Boot Camp ExperiencesThread

The Official Boot Camp ExperiencesThread
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2006, 10:37 PM

Since gorgonzola has said that discussion of Boot Camp should go here for the moment, let's start again with a new consolidated thread. I installed Windows XP home on my 17" iMac Core Duo this afternoon and have been playing with it since then. The installation was easy and took maybe 1 hour. I alloted 25GB of the hard disk for Windows XP. I chose FAT format over NTFS, since that way I can access files on the Win XP partition via OS X (or so they say, I haven't tried that yet).

So far, it works great with a couple of hitches. It's definitely faster than my PC desktop (a Shuttle XPC with 3200+ athlon processor). They both have 1GB of RAM. I have a 23" cinema display attached to the iMac and the only problem I have so far is that whatever screen I have designated as the "secondary" one displays rotated by 90 degrees. I can't figure out how to change it. Right now I have disabled the iMac's screen and am using the Cinema Display as the main display. Since I would pretty much only use Windows on the iMac for games anyway, this may not be a big deal, but it's annoying that I can't figure it out. None of the ATI prefs seem to affect it.

I installed The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on the iMac and have been playing it for a couple of hours. It's definitely better than my Shuttle at the same resolution -- I can have higher settings and get better framerate. However, I've found that a couple of places outside will cause the frame rate to dip into about 1fps, and I can't tell why. I'm experimenting with different settings to try and fix it.

Anyone else care to share their experiences? Any questions?

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 10:47 PM

is it possible in the future to be able to switch between OS X and Windows like we do a "quick user switch"?

so we don't have to shut down and restart to get from one OS to the next.

i know it would be tough on the system to run two OS.
as ever,
sonny

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 10:47 PM

It has annoyed a few people I know that Boot Camp can slipsteam the drivers (from ATi/Intel/etc), but can't slipstream SP2 if they have an earlier version on disk. Requires them to do the SP2 slipstream on a PC, burn a CD, then do the driver slipstream with Boot Camp, and burn another CD.

Originally Posted by sledsbehave
is it possible in the future to be able to switch between OS X and Windows like we do a "quick user switch"?

That's what Virtualization Technology and Vanderpool is all about. A company called Parallels has announced they're bringing their hypervisor platform to Intel Macs with support for OSX and Windows.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2006, 10:48 PM

No, but such a thing might be possible for the future.

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 10:54 PM

Apple isn't slipstreaming the drivers, it's creating a separate CD with drivers on it.
-- Jason

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
No, but such a thing might be possible for the future.
yeah, my main question being is it possible. thanks
as ever,
sonny

techster82
Apr 5, 2006, 11:40 PM

Well, I thought I would chime in as I just finished installing XP on my 20" iMac. I ran into a couple of problems:

1. When I was updating my imac to 10.4.6, I installed the update, then somehow my entire utilities folder was wiped out. I called Apple, we played around with it, and I ended up having to do an Archive and Install. This had nothing to do with XP, as I hadn't even gotten to Boot Camp yet, but was a problem with either my machine or the update. After archiving and installing I updated again without a hitch, then did the firmware upgrade, then Boot Camp.

I am now typing this thread using Firefox on my imac booted into Windows XP. This is awesome. The world of possibilities that windows has with the beauty of an Apple computer. I couldn't ask for more, except maybe some bugs being worked out.

2. I installed AIM, and as soon as I try to sign on I get a quick blue screen of death then my computer automatically restarts. I installed AOL and have had no problems with it whatsoever so that makes me wonder.

All in all, this is great for a first run attempt. I am sure some issues will be ironed out now that the public developers have some backbone from Apple to work with. This is almost driving me to order a Macbook Pro but I am holding out for more options at a lesser price.

lesman
Apr 5, 2006, 11:45 PM

This thread will be very usefull for will-be-boot-campers. I can't wait to get my Intel Mac so I can do this!

zenatek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 11:53 PM

Just thought I would post... I have a 20 inch iMac with 1GB of ram.

Well I went out today and purchased winxp and battlefield 2. I had windows set up within an hour! Drivers worked flawlessly.

I have now been playing BF2 for about an hour and its great! I am playing at 1440 by 1050 (dont remember the exact numbers but its one of the highest resolutions) all the settings are either high or medium, well mostly medium. I really think I will be able to bump some of those settings up when I get another GB of ram. All in all it looks really good.

This is something I have been waiting for and its awesome!

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by jasong
Apple isn't slipstreaming the drivers, it's creating a separate CD with drivers on it.
That is correct. The only thing you need to use for the install is a standard Windows XP home or professional disc (SP2), which is not altered in any way by Boot Camp. The CD that Boot Camp burns is just used for installing the drivers for various things, but you don't need it to do the install. I think the main reason they chose the "burn a CD" approach is that things like wireless networking won't work without the addition of a driver, so it might be problematic to offer the driver package as a separate download or something.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 01:09 AM

to answer my own question i foudn this in the "leopard revealed" thread...

"2. During the Leopard install, you are given the option to create specific partitioning to accommodate M$ Vista and Linux. Reformatting your HD is not required. Depending on your processor and RAM, all OS’s can run simultaneously & independently. A (minimum) 150 GB HD is required (250 GB is recommended), and 2 GB RAM (minimum) should you wish to run more than one OS. Dual processors are required for optimum performance, though this may change in 10.5.1 or 10.5.2."
as ever,
sonny

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 01:51 AM

Uh, that thread was an April fool's joke. It ain't real!

tooki

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Uh, that thread was an April fool's joke. It ain't real!

tooki
i read that, but i was kinda hoping some of it was based on fact... seeing as boot camp was released 4 days later....

ah well...
as ever,
sonny

Mack
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2006, 03:28 AM

My XP installation went flawlessly. But I do have one question: When I boot into OS X, the Windows partition mounts in Finder with the name "Untitled." The volume is marked Read Only, so I can't change the name. Any ideas?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 03:36 AM

You formatted your windows partition using NTFS. OS X can only read NTFS drives, not write to them. I, on the other hand, formatted my windows partition using FAT 32, so I can read and write to the drive. Saying this, my windows partition is called 'NO NAME' and I am afraid changing it will mess the windows installation....

Note: You can only format in FAT32 when the partition size is less than 32 GB
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 04:01 AM

I've had great experiences with SP2. Installed the first time around without realizing my disc was SP1. Wasted a few hours there trying to figure out ways around it.. For Beta software it works like a charm. Apple also makes it super easy to go back to just having an OSX partition and reclaiming back those precious gigabytes of drive space. It's zippy™ too!

I deleted Qemu offmy machine. Unless the performance improves significantly, there is really no reason for me to run it on my system.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 04:11 AM

I'm using windows now, currently installing the Sims 2. 1 problem though, I was installing the game, and installing and logging into MSN messenger at the same time, and I got a BSOD, and my iMac rebooted. Odd...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 04:29 AM

I have yet to have a BSOD, but it sounds to me like some of the drivers need a little fine tuning. I've heard a number of people reporting instabilities like that.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 05:16 AM

I changed the name and icon of my Windows XP partition in OS X with no ill effects.

I installed the demo version of Mac Drive to see if it would allow me to see my Mac files from Windows XP, and it does indeed make the Mac partition accessible. Something like this will probably be a necessity for someone who wants to do serious work on both OSes, although for someone who just wants to play games, it's not needed.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 05:44 AM

OK, so i've installed the Sims 2, and it works VERY well - very speedy. Its MUCH faster than my old P4 2.6 Ghz/512 ram/ati 9200 w/128 RAM.

I've never played the Sims and had such a good experience with it - everytime I used to use it, no matter on what computer, it took ages - not so for my 1.83 ghz iMac! Very impressive.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 07:27 AM

I've tried both solutions here's my take on the whole affair. I got the onmac solution completed a day before boot camp was released.

Onmac.net's solution requires a PC, downloading nero and some monkeying with files. At the end of the installation you have a bootable xp. No sound, no video drivers (other then generic nondirect-x) no ethernet - nothing. There's a download page and I got the the ethernet working. The steps to kludge together a set of video drivers scared me because of "bricking" my mini.

Apple's solution.
No slipstream Cd creation, no need to reformat and reinstall osx then xp.
Apple provides the drivers and installation was very smooth. I had to not manually set the resolution in debug mode for my mini like I had to for the onmac solution. Very nice.

Now that I have installed boot camp, I think Apple's solution is more polished and provides all the drivers you need.

techster82
Apr 6, 2006, 08:43 AM

Personally, I think Apple had this program ready to go for sometime now. I think they were waiting to see what the hacking community would come up with. When they did hack it and got XP working, Apple decided to use this in their favor and then released Boot Camp. Good move on their part as things will only get better from this point on.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2006, 09:02 AM

Yes, my post re “Leopard, OS 10.5 Revealed” was indeed an April Fool’s Day joke. All of it was made (up) of whole cloth, and as many have noted, is replete with errors.

To the extent that any of it comes to pass, is merely coincidence or a good guess; such as: “When Repairing Permissions, the “We are using special permissions…” will no longer be displayed.”

To the extent that some had a bit of a laugh, so much the better. To those who are insulted, offended, outraged, or P.O.’d, truly my apologies.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

rotuts
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 09:20 AM

I have 'pure' macs, PPC's Im planning on helping a friend set up a new intel iMac and then a intel iBook when they come out.

they have a dell with windows XP I think on CD than came with the dell.

in the NYTimes and other sorces they say you need to buy a new copy of Windows XP for around $200 dollars.

is this true? can the reinstall CD that came with the del,l work? Im not at that computer so can't say if its the same as the XP you might buy.

the reason for the dual install for them would be some school software for PC thats unavailable for Mac for their daughter.

cheers

rotuts
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by rotuts
in the NYTimes and other sorces they say you need to buy a new copy of Windows XP for around $200 dollars.

is this true? can the reinstall CD that came with the del,l work? Im not at that computer so can't say if its the same as the XP you might buy.
XP Pro (non upgrade) is 299 XP Home is 199.

As for the reinstall disc, I'm going to hazard a guess as to no.
First you need to have a SP2 xp disk.
Second Dell I think uses a restore image and not a pure windows xp install.
Third you need to activate the OS, so that pretty much prevents you from loading one window xp on two machines.

Mike

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 09:53 AM

My wife put this on her Macbook Pro and it works great. I'm calling it her Wacintosh. I haven't decided if that means Windows Macintosh or Wacky Macintosh :-)

Ilgaz
Apr 6, 2006, 10:02 AM

(off topic, can't delete)

plasticman
Apr 6, 2006, 10:11 AM

Wacintosh certainly sounds better than Mindows

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 10:15 AM

re: using the Dell disk - I had an old Samsung restore disk that came with an old laptop. When ever I put it in a PC, it came up 'This is not a samsung PC', but it works fine as a proper XP install disk. I had to slipstream SP2 into it, which worked fine.

I used the slipstreamed disk to install XP on my Mac, and it worked fine, no problems. Note, however, that to legally have XP on your Mac, you need to buy a license, something your Dell CD will not carry. To be 100% honest, my install of XP is technically illegal, as I don't have a license for it, however I am preparing to uninstall it, as I just wanted to see if it worked; it did; and now I am off to buy an SP2 retail disk, to keep on the right side of the law

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn

First you need to have a SP2 xp disk.
You need SP2 for an easier install but I have XP PRO SP1 running. Ethernet and wireless would not work until I manually installed the drivers for them.

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 10:41 AM

Posted this before but here it is again:

I tried this on my macbook pro 2.16 after updating the firmware as instructed. Initially it said that I couldn't install because the target volume couldn't be verified. I restarted in SU mode, did fsck and the disk was repaired. I tried again and it worked fine. I selected that I wanted to go back to the Mac OS and install Windows later. It kernal paniced when I clicked 'restart' and failed to get past the grey apple & spinner after a force restart.

I tired to repair the disk with fsck and with the installer CD, but it gave me the error: 'invalid extent entry'. I also saw 'xxxxx is not linked to a kernal' errors popping up all over the place in SU mode. I could browse the Mac OS partition in SU mode but I couldn't mount it using disk utility or boot from it.

I tried reformatting the new windows partition so that I could install OS X on it and boot to the Mac OS to recover my lost data but it failed during installation

In the end I had to reformat completely. The OS X partition was destroyed
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 10:48 AM

Installed it on mt MBP 1.83 and initially got the error that disk needs to be repaired. Did that by booting from OSc install CDs and Disk Utility found and repaired two errors. After that it was smooth sailing and I have Windows XP running without any problems.

Gonna try Parallels Virtualization app next as that is probably more useful.

-a

rotuts
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 11:14 AM

thanks what is "SP2" and what is a slipstreamed disk? I only have a PPC so can't try the experiment with the dell disk but would like to understand the proceedure and leave the process up to my friend

cheers again.

rotut
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

wowway1
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2006, 11:17 AM

Okay tons of questions as I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and get a MBP to replace my work WinBlows lappy:

-Does the bluetooth keyboard work? How about mouse?
-anyone had any problems spanning multiple monitors?
-generally are you happy with performance? From what I've seen the benchmarks look really good.

Thanks.

ajbaker
Apr 6, 2006, 11:56 AM

It's funny, the installation of Windows on my MacBook Pro is the fasted and most beautiful installation of Windows I have seen. Oh the irony.

Anyway, the one problem I have found so far, that may or may not be specific to the MacBook Pro is the keyboard and Windows Fast User Switching.

If you have FUS enabled, when you try to switch users, both the keyboard and the trackpad are disabled. Even returning to the original user will not fix the problem. Interestingly, an external kayboard and mouse continue to work.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to resolve it?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by rotuts
thanks what is "SP2" and what is a slipstreamed disk? I only have a PPC so can't try the experiment with the dell disk but would like to understand the proceedure and leave the process up to my friend

cheers again.

rotut
SP2 = service pack 2. Its the latest (been out for about 2 years ) main windows update.

Slipstreaming is when you only have an SP1 disk, and you need to update it to SP2. You can use programs to basically incorporate the SP2 files into an SP1 disk, and then re-burn an XP disk which is essentially a Windows XP SP2 disk.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by wowway1
Okay tons of questions as I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and get a MBP to replace my work WinBlows lappy:

-anyone had any problems spanning multiple monitors?
-generally are you happy with performance? From what I've seen the benchmarks look really good.

Thanks.
-Apple SAY the bluetooth keyboard & Mouse will not work, however I am unable to confirm/disprove this

-Sorry, I dont use multiple monitors

-This I can comment on (well, assuming performance will be similar on a 1.83 Ghz iMac - which it will) : I am very happy with performance. I can honestly say its the fastest windows machine I have used. Its faster than my P4 2.66 Ghz/512 Ram, its faster than a P4 2.8 Ghz/1 GIG RAM I use often, and it feels quite a bit faster than an Athlon 3700+ w/1 GB RAM I occasioanlly use

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by wowway1

Nope...bummer too. According to: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...um=303572#faq1

Are there any Macintosh features that I should not expect to work when running Windows XP on an Intel-based Macintosh computer?

"Even after installling the Macintosh Drivers CD, the Apple Remote Control (IR), Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard or mouse, Apple USB Modem, MacBook Pro's sudden motion sensor, MacBook Pro's ambient light sensor, and built-in iSight camera will not function correctly when running Windows."

Oops..took to long to find the into...harrisjamieh beat me to it!
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

cambro
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by techster82
I am now typing this thread using Firefox on my imac booted into Windows XP. This is awesome. The world of possibilities that windows has with the beauty of an Apple computer. I couldn't ask for more, except maybe some bugs being worked out.
Sounds like hell to me! OS X is a great OS so why anybody would want to surf the web and do day-to-day stuff in Windows is beyond me! I have ZERO desire to run Windows ever on my mac (as I said...hell).

That said...
I would like to be able to use Arc GIS. Could somebody please post their experience when/if you get the chance?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
-Apple SAY the bluetooth keyboard & Mouse will not work, however I am unable to confirm/disprove this

-
My apple bt keyboard works fine. During the install I used a usb keyboard and mouse but after the drivers were installed I paired my bt keyboard and I'm off like a heard of turtles. Of course it only works for one environment. XP or OSX.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 01:15 PM

Just a quick problem i am experiencing: My iMac in XP automatically connected to my wireless network at first, and all was well, but now it refuses to connect since i installed norton from google pack thingy. The same thing happened when I was using the unofficial XPonMac hack, except that time it stopped working and I hadn't installed Google pack. I am currently connecting to the net in XP by hooking my iMac up to my iBook via ethernet, and using internet sharing on my iBook to send my airport conenction to the XP boot. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? (Oh God, what has the world come to; troubleshooting XP on a mac forum!)

mr breaker
Apr 6, 2006, 01:18 PM

I installed Bootcamp and XP on my mac mini yesterday...it runs great. I had previously been running the onmac.net solution. I reformatted everything and did a clean install.

Kudos to Apple...now Windows can actually shut down/restart the machine. No more having to manually power down.

The only annoyance I have run into so far is that the internal speaker on the mini is on even though I have an analog audio cable plugged in. Haven't tried an optical yet.

Other than that...the performance on the Windows side is great. I happened to get a new Dell 2405fpw monitor the same day...plugged it in and both OS's were able to set it to a 1900x1200 resolution without any additional drivers. Sweet!

The next time I have a few extra minutes I'll try the Parellel virtualization demo. Although, I think this would be most useful if it was possible to virtualize the physical Windows partition...also giving you the option to dual boot into the same environment. Maybe in the next version.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 01:44 PM

Just a quick note: MSN messenger causes a BSOD

wowway1
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2006, 01:46 PM

thanks for the info all. I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 03:26 PM

This Boot Camp seems quite a bit more unstable than the original XP hack. I never got any BSODs using that hack (admitidly I only used it for a week), but since I installed boot camp, i've had 5 of the blasted things!

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Just a quick note: MSN messenger causes a BSOD
It didn't for me, worked as good as MSN Messenger can work.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by eevyl
It didn't for me, worked as good as MSN Messenger can work.
Ye after a few tries i got it up and running. Though I can't really use it because my wireless connection in XP keeps dropping

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
OEM Windows is cheaper. You may need to purchase an inexpensive hardware item (like a $1.00 CPU fan or something) to qualify as an OEM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16837102059

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 05:50 AM

I have changed the icon for my Mac partition to a tiger install disc, and renamed it 'Mac OS X HD', and I have renamed my windows partition 'Windows HD' and changed the icon to a windows flag. The thing is, when I boot up my computer holding option, the icon for the Mac partition is the Tiger disc that I set it to, but the windows partition is still the standard hard drive icon, and is called 'windows' instead of 'windows hd'.

Anyone got any tips on how to change that?

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 05:57 AM

The graphics in the boot screen is in the firmware - it has nothing to do with the icons in Mac OS X.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules