Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Color Menubar Items at MWNY ! ! !

Color Menubar Items at MWNY ! ! !
Lew
Senior User
May 11, 1990, 10:50 PM

And Windows XP with the Sosumi theme looks even better

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2002, 01:39 PM

**AND** cool 3-D carrots (read: arrows) in Column View Finder !!!

Well, o.k., along with another speed bump, I can hope these are in the next update can't I ???

Mafoo
Feb 27, 2002, 03:56 PM

I think that the only way people like you can have so many posts is from pointlessly spamming the forum with crap like this.

Maybe the MacNN team should add a pointless crap room where this sort or rubbish can go, allong with a whine-about-os-x-room. The first time it might have had some interlectual basis, but im really tired of seeing "Whats going to be in 10.2" and idiotic feature requests being posted in new threads, they eventualy results in slagging matches and people behaving like 13 yearold kids (humm, come to think of it, most are ).

oh, and just so this post isnt completely off topic, Colour menu bar items were introduced. IIRC Resexcellence has some images that you can replace the standard black and white images with, or you could just make your own.

this post isnt an excuse to start flaming, so its best to close the thread now.

--mafoo

MacCubeBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Mafoo:
<STRONG>I think that the only way people like you can have so many posts is from pointlessly spamming the forum with crap like this.

Maybe the MacNN team should add a pointless crap room where this sort or rubbish can go, allong with a whine-about-os-x-room. The first time it might have had some interlectual basis, but im really tired of seeing "Whats going to be in 10.2" and idiotic feature requests being posted in new threads, they eventualy results in slagging matches and people behaving like 13 yearold kids (humm, come to think of it, most are ).

oh, and just so this post isnt completely off topic, Colour menu bar items were introduced. IIRC Resexcellence has some images that you can replace the standard black and white images with, or you could just make your own.

this post isnt an excuse to start flaming, so its best to close the thread now.

--mafoo </STRONG>
Thank you message board police officer.

Some of us like the threads where people whine about OS X and talk about the new features. So i dont think its completely pointless.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2002, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Mafoo:
<STRONG>I think that the only way people like you can have so many posts is from pointlessly spamming the forum with crap like this.</STRONG>
Thank you for your input! For the record, none of what I said was a whine. In fact, I dare you find a single "whine" that I EVER made about OS X (according to you there should be plenty since I have soo many "pointlessly spamming" posts about it). My whole point was to simply say how nice 10 will look in the future (whether it be 10.1.x, or 10.2), not that I think it is ugly in the present. Case in point:

. . . for your edification that is ClassicSpy on the left.

FYI, I predicted a speed bump at the last MWNY and got it. I am also predicting that colors will infact be implemented in OS X's menu bar (or least someone like Unsanity will mainstream it - in a way that I can't f*ck my whole system while trying to insatll it!).

Sorry, but I'm not "sophisticated" enough to be into the whole ResExcellence (not Resexcellence) scene. However, if you recall (as I do) about a year ago some members had written some code of their own that added color to the MenuBar (so I guess I am not alone in thinking it's worthwhile if other people here are taking the time to write stuff like that). Anway, all I was hoping for was that maybe someone would post that link so I could locate it again, and maybe I'll feel daring enough to try to install it - I doubt it though. I will also check out your suggestion. Feel free to check back after you're done having your period if you're interested in what happens. If not, thanks for the tip.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 06:19 PM

What is that big tit icon in your menubar?

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 06:21 PM

If you don't like the current b&w icons, make some new tiffs yourself. The files to change are here:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/

Personally, I don't think Apple should change the current ones. I don't want a mini-rainbow of icons cluttering my menubar. That would seem ugly and too "busy" like Window's system tray. The current b&w icons are minimalist and represent the Menu Extras as they should be: as menus. Are other menus colored? Of course not (Don't bring up the Apple menu). Menus are not supposed to attract your attention with details and flashy colors that draw your eyes from other real content; they're just supposed to be there for utility when you want to use them.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 06:23 PM

And, fwiw, I think that OS9 icon you have there looks ugly and seems out of place.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 07:24 PM

if you download this and copy it to /system/library/coreservices/menu items/

you can get an orange airport status thingy.

I didn't make this hack I got the info from
MacOSXHints

p.s. that directory is write-protected to you so you'll have to "sudo cp" in the terminal or fiddle with the privelidges using X-Ray or super get info or somesuch utility.

p.p.s. "that tit" is Ir-Da

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Diggory Laycock ]
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>And, fwiw, I think that OS9 icon you have there looks ugly and seems out of place.</STRONG>
Well, I sort of agree actually. The most irritating part for 'me' is that it sits just a 'little' bit too high relative to the other icons. The color however, is both cool *and* functional. Blue means classic is runnning, grey means not running. If I they would lower it a bit, and then if I color the rest - I would be totally stylin'.

It just seems to be a total paradox to have the tastiest GUI available, and at the same time a b&w menubar. And no, I am still NOT whining! btw, I am not suggesting that everyone needs to sign on to the whole color menu bar idea. However, it should eventually be an "option" that you could turn on or off. Kinda like the browser color in IE, or the "Appearance" option in the preferences panel.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2002, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
<STRONG>
if you download this and copy it to /system/library/coreservices/menu items/
you can get an orange airport status thingy.
I didn't make this hack I got the info from
MacOSXHints
p.s. that directory is write-protected to you so you'll have to "sudo cp" in the terminal or fiddle with the privelidges using X-Ray or super get info or somesuch utility.</STRONG>
Thank you for the link, I d/l-ed it and may give it shot. I swear that someone had a link for coloring the battery too!

JoeBruin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2002, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by TonyRado:
<STRONG>**AND** cool 3-D carrots (read: arrows) in Column View Finder !!!

Well, o.k., along with another speed bump, I can hope these are in the next update can't I ??? </STRONG>
try this app: http://www.geocities.com/matt_j_gray...ics-1.0.dmg.gz

it has some color replacements for the menu extras

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2002, 01:21 AM

The big tit is Irda from a powerbook

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2002, 01:52 AM

I actually like the simple black and white style. Sometimes I feel that OS X is just waaay too colourfull, and its nice to have some simple, elegant, usefull icons.

I only wish that the spinning wheel beachball thingy was black and white, and as simple and elegant as those icons. That stupid beachball CD spinny thing is the worst aspect of OS X I see it a ton on my Rev A iMac unfortunately

funkboy
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2002, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>Personally, I don't think Apple should change the current ones.</STRONG>
Agreed, for all the reasons you so eloquently listed. Apple's monochromaticism is good in the menu bar.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2002, 02:38 AM

I think the B&W icons are perfect. I like the consistency and I like how they look. Very classy, IMO.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 03:50 AM

Now if only Apple would get rid of the stripes. Considering that none of Apple's current hardware is striped (besides the dated looking G3 iMacs) and the fact stripes are no longer cool (which is why the hardware no longer has stripes) and the fact that minimalism is the current trend and the fact that the stripes were distracting to begin with, they should have disappeared a long time ago.

The colorless menu extras go well with Apple's current minimalist hardware design. Besides, they're easier on the eyes.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2002, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by JoeBruin:
<STRONG>try this app: http://www.geocities.com/matt_j_gray...ics-1.0.dmg.gz
it has some color replacements for the menu extras</STRONG>
Sounds cool, but the link is bad.
Edit: Nevermind, I got it by going to http://www.geocities.com/matt_j_gray/mac/downloads/ Thanks.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: TonyRado ]

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2002, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Adam Silver:
<STRONG>Now if only Apple would get rid of the stripes. Considering that none of Apple's current hardware is striped (besides the dated looking G3 iMacs) and the fact stripes are no longer cool (which is why the hardware no longer has stripes) and the fact that minimalism is the current trend and the fact that the stripes were distracting to begin with, they should have disappeared a long time ago.</STRONG>
Yep, the stripes are beginning to look dated, which is why I've been using one of Sine's themes for the past few months. I didn't realize how much I don't miss the stripes until I was at a CompUSA the other day and saw the standard Aqua on the macs there. I hope they lose them at some point, for the benefit of everyday users who aren't theme-savvy.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<STRONG>I hope they lose them at some point, for the benefit of everyday users who aren't theme-savvy.</STRONG>

I am not necessarily "in love" with the stripes, but that is probably b/c the Top Menu Bar and Applications' Menu Bars have different "types" of stripes [MacNN's are even different than either of the two]. However, being a Yankees' Fan, MY PINSTRIPES ARE STAYING RIGHT WHERE THEY ARE!

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: TonyRado ]

diskobolos
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2002, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>I think the B&W icons are perfect. I like the consistency and I like how they look. Very classy, IMO.</STRONG>
I agree I actually changed my classic spy, magic menu and youpi key icons to b&w to match.. but then I started using Ambar so it really isn't consistant anymore but I find Ambar useful enough to not care.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2002, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<STRONG>

Yep, the stripes are beginning to look dated</STRONG>
I hate to say it but Windows XP with the silver theme looks much more modern and clean then all those silly lines and bright white that is Aqua.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules