Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > com.apple.***

com.apple.***
stugots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2008, 08:55 PM

I've looked everywhere with no avail, what are the com.apple.*** files and where do they live? I'm not looking to modify or tinker only to better know my Mac. Any help is appreciated.
 Macbook CD 2GHz/2GB RAM/500GB HD/10.6.2
 Mac Mini C2D 2.26Ghz/2GB RAM/160 HD/10.6.2
iPhone 3g 8GB / Apple TV 40GB

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2008, 09:00 PM

~/Library/Preferences

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2008, 09:25 PM

These are preference files. It is where Mac OS X applications store their settings, kind of like the registry in Windows.
The upside of this system is that if it breaks, OS X replaces them with defaults so you're not totally screwed.

stugots  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2008, 09:37 PM

Fantastic seanc, thats exactly the answer I was looking for. So many times before I'd get stupid answers like "If you have to ask, you shouldn't be messing with them."

Thanks again all

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2008, 10:21 PM

Actually, if you have to ask, that shows you have some reason to mess with them. Hopefully you've researched this thoroughly before you decided you needed to poke into these files, because even though you're not totally hosed if you screw up one or more of them, it can be a pain getting things set back the way you want.

Care to share what you ned to mess with and why?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2008, 10:42 PM

It's actually kinda hard to get "hosed" while messing with preference files, since all you have to do is delete them and they get restored to the defaults. It's not like the Registry.

I say, mess away.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
It's actually kinda hard to get "hosed" while messing with preference files, since all you have to do is delete them and they get restored to the defaults. It's not like the Registry.

I say, mess away.
I say make a backup or two, and then mess away!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 3, 2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

I say, mess away.
"Hosed", whether temporary or permanent, is certainly unpleasant. You see something awful with an app and react, THEN you remember that you can just dump the plist... Nobody likes surprises with their computer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

stugots  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2008, 11:00 AM

ghporter:

It's simple...I switched from PC a little over a year ago and am still trying to figure out the Macs file system. Contrary to what you believe, I have no intentions of tinkering with these files (at least until I learn more.)

Again thanks for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules