Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > keeping your MBP clean

keeping your MBP clean
Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2007, 01:05 AM

So what are you guys doing to keep your MBP's clean? I have been using a screensavr from radtech on my MBP since I got it and have been very happy, but I don't think it is enough.

My palms leave sweat marks on the aluminum, have you guys done anything to get around this?

as well as the most annoying thing... over time, little white things, have fallen into the speaker holes. how do you get them out? Can you use a vacuum cleaner (with the brissles of course)?
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2007, 01:43 AM

I hate the fact that speaker grills get full of dirt.

ii use the samething you use.

Try getting invisishield
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 18, 2007, 09:28 AM

I have managed to keep my grilles from getting dirty (somehow). I use alcohol prep pads (the little things they use on your arm before they give you a shot) to wipe down both my palm rests and my key caps and that keeps it all nice and clean. I use a high-quality, lint free paper towel with filtered water to clean my (matte) screen and that works well too. I low power vacuum should help clear out your grilles if they get stuff in them.

But now that I've seen this thread, I need to clean my MBP! Yikes!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 10:17 AM

i use monster cleaner... blue bottle and a microfiber cloth...
normally i have not seen anything get in the speaker grills...
i am interested to know what people use for this...

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 11:48 AM

I use brillo and a wetvac for the grill. Keeps it shiny.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 01:08 PM

kirkland (god i love costco) antibacterial wipes for anything alu.

lint free paper towel and a little water for my (matte) screen.

then i go over the whole unit with a dry lint free paper towel to get all the moisture and im good to go for another week.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

FastAMX79
Jan 18, 2007, 01:43 PM

i use the iKlear product from apple to keep my powerbook clean. works great!! My powerbook looks like it was just taken out of the package.

the kit comes with travel packs, a bottle of cleaner, and 1 big lint free rag, and 1 small lint free rag.

also works great cleaning my i870 nextel phone!

best 20 dollar investment i ever made!

i personally would NOT use paper towels. they do have paper in them, and can cause very fine scratches which in time, will show on your equipment.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2007, 03:59 PM

i use a brillo pad and some bleach....cleans it right up....tehehe. i just use that iclean stuff from the apple store.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2007, 04:04 PM

What do you guys do when you need to clean UNDER the keyboard? Taking of the keys seems to be a little to much, especially since I busted two of them when I tried :|
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 04:18 PM

compressed air?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

FastAMX79
Jan 18, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sijmen View Post
What do you guys do when you need to clean UNDER the keyboard? Taking of the keys seems to be a little to much, especially since I busted two of them when I tried :|

i do compressed air, and a vacuum cleaner. just take your time with the vac. don't be aggressive with it.

if its really bad, the apple store may even do it for you, but im sure they will charge for it!
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM

neyoung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 06:22 PM

I use steel wool, sand paper and a jack hammer...

Errr wait... thats how I clean the gunk off my PC
Apple Switcher!
365 Days of my experience with Apple at Keynote 2 Keynote
Join the 100 Apple Users and Switchers Project

Frugle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2007, 10:44 PM

heh, thanks for the responces.

Forgot to mention I also have the iKlean or iklear, whatever it is, and use that on my computer... but I can't use it once a week, to expensive, I was looking for something that would keep it from getting dirty

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 10:49 PM

I have some clear contact film on my MBP on the palm rests and the top of the display (Apple side). It prevents scratches and leaves no film when removed.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

coincopy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 11:22 PM

I'll let you guys in on a little secret, use a air compressor! It's absolutely magnificent for getting all that dust and crap out of the grills and under the keys. I bought a fitment piece that is very thin and it shoots a very thin but strong stream. Pressure can be regulated by how hard you squeeze the trigger. I dry my cars using this method as well. Amazing results always..

Frugle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2007, 03:05 AM

...holy crap, you dry your cars with canned air? that would take me a billion cans. it takes me an electric blower and 2 24"x36" waffle-weave microfiber towels to dry my car.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by coincopy View Post
I'll let you guys in on a little secret, use a air compressor! It's absolutely magnificent for getting all that dust and crap out of the grills and under the keys. I bought a fitment piece that is very thin and it shoots a very thin but strong stream. Pressure can be regulated by how hard you squeeze the trigger. I dry my cars using this method as well. Amazing results always..
i used to use compressed air, but i was warned against it because of the whole issue where it is actually a liquid and can release some of it during the spraying and destroy computer components.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 19, 2007, 09:53 AM

Unless you put the can's tube RIGHT INTO THE KEYBOARD, (or hold the can upside down), there's no "liquid related" problem with using compressed air to clean computers. There IS a problem with the fact that most "canned air" products are not simply compressed air, but usually something like a flurocarbon (not quite as bad for the ozone as chlorinated flurocarbons), which displace room air and can be an asphyxiation hazard. Using CO2 or really compressed air, particularly at relatively low pressures is Just FineĀ® for cleaning computers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Unless you put the can's tube RIGHT INTO THE KEYBOARD, (or hold the can upside down), there's no "liquid related" problem with using compressed air to clean computers. There IS a problem with the fact that most "canned air" products are not simply compressed air, but usually something like a flurocarbon (not quite as bad for the ozone as chlorinated flurocarbons), which displace room air and can be an asphyxiation hazard. Using CO2 or really compressed air, particularly at relatively low pressures is Just FineĀ® for cleaning computers.
thats cool, but i am not going to risk it with my 3g c2d

Forum Links
Forum Rules