Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I'm Really Going to Miss Classic Dock Folder Menus in Leopard

I'm Really Going to Miss Classic Dock Folder Menus in Leopard
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2007, 07:25 PM

I rely on Dock folder menus quite a lot, and I think I'm really going to miss them in Leopard. I know Stacks looks cool, but it should be a feature that can be toggled on or off depending on the folder because it's not going to work well for every folder. I guess that's what I get for asking for spring-loading to be added to Dock menus.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2007, 08:00 PM

Somebody will develop a program that brings that feature to Leopard. Give it a couple months and you'll be fine.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2007, 08:44 PM

Send feedback to Apple letting them know about this. If they know that there are people out there who want the option of having the dock folders, they might implement such an option. It'll do more good than posting about it here, at least.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I rely on Dock folder menus quite a lot, and I think I'm really going to miss them in Leopard. I know Stacks looks cool, but it should be a feature that can be toggled on or off depending on the folder because it's not going to work well for every folder. I guess that's what I get for asking for spring-loading to be added to Dock menus.
Agreed but you have to wait until October. I as well as many others don't believe that Leopard was shown the way the retail version is going to be. We only saw 10 out of 300 new features. At least 50 of them will be instantly noticeable to the user. Spotlight wasn't even talked about at WWDC nor is it on Apple's website.

Did you really think you were the reason for the Spring loaded folders in the Dock? LMAO.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't think they'll be getting rid off it, since you'll still be-able to create Smart-folders.. so I believe you'll be-able to just drag those to the Dock.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 09:28 AM

Do smart folders have a Dock-menu in Leopard?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 01:04 PM

What is the advantage of menus over stacks? Is the linear organization just less cluttered looking or something?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 05:25 PM

The 'Stacks' are basically a fancy graphics upgrade to folders in the dock. And are also a step backwards UI wise IMHO, I will also miss Dock folders if Stacks are the same in the final as the current implementation.
There are many problems with Stacks as they are.
Multiple Stacks in the Dock will look VERY alike (and custom icons don't work on stacked folders)
The 'banana' when there are only a few items in the Stack is a far worse UI target than a list.
The icon view (when there are many items in a Stack) truncates long filenames, with more truncation the more items there are.
Navigating back up the directory tree is HIGHLY non-obvious when within the 'Stack view' (it's apple. back arrow).
STILL no drag & drop from the finder in to the open Stack
The only Stacks have over folders in the Dock is the single left click to open (instead of a right click in Tiger).

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
No.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 07:53 PM

Okay, here's the feedback I sent (not that I think it will do any good, but it's worth a shot):

Please consider not eliminating classic Dock menus in favor of Stacks in Leopard. Stacks appears to be a great feature, but it won't be great for each and every folder in the Dock. Dock menus provide key functionality that Stacks cannot provide - they're cleaner and easier to navigate when it comes to certain folders like the Applications folder. The current implementation of Stacks works fine for folders that contain few files, but folders that contain many files end up displaying icons with truncated names and in a manner that is not at all optimal compared to Dock menus. Stacks also don't work as well if the folder in question has heavily nested contents. Finally, Stacks currently display generic Stack icons instead of icons based on the folders they're made from, which will make multiple stacks harder to identify. Please test out what the Application menu looks like when viewed as a Dock menu versus what it looks like as a Stack, and then consider allowing the user to choose on an individual preference basis whether to display the folder in the classic way or as a Stack. Please also see these links for additional commentary on the issue:

Impulsive Highlighters Unite!: Leopard Preview: UI, Finder and Dock

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...-classic-dock/

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 02:47 AM

I used to have a lot of Dock folders and I used Dock menus a lot. When Spotlight came out I pretty much stopped using them at once. Now I don't have a single folder in my Dock and it wouldn't surprise me if I hardly used Stacks either.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
No.
I still can't browse Smart Folders in column view, and I still can't view them from the Dock? Un-fncking-believable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules