Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to save a file where YOU want?

How to save a file where YOU want?
GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2007, 04:58 PM

Ok so thisiis sth htat I haven't manage to discover during my switching period

When I want to save a document, from Firefo for example, the windows that opens up asks me where i want to save it; However I cannot seem to be able to save a file in a sub directory, for example Myusername/personal folder

How do you do this?

I'm not sure but I think I came across something that requires me to run a command line but i really dunno where i saw that. if you have a tip for me...

Thank you
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2007, 05:05 PM

I don't know if I understand your question fully, but save dialog boxes should be intuitive. There's a sidebar in the dialog that should have your Home folder in it - click that and then click the subfolder you want to save in. If you want to go to another area above where you're currently located in your drive, you can click the left arrow to go back up the hierarchy from whence you came, or click the menu below the name field to see common places and the hierarchy. You most definitely DO NOT need the command line to save a file (are you joking?).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 22, 2007, 05:10 PM

To the right of the file name box there's a down arrow button. Click it. Viola! You have your entire directory structure to select from. Did that help?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2007, 05:27 PM

I think ghporter nails it, the minimal default Open/Save dialog box has stumped many people. It is too limiting for any real use, imho!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2007, 05:32 PM

Oh, is that what was wrong?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2007, 05:34 PM

Alternatively, if you always want to save downloaded files from Firefox into a specific folder (Username/Personal Folder, for example), open your Firefox preferences (CMD-, or Firefox menu -> Preferences...) and from the 'Main' tab select 'Save files to' and click the 'Choose' button to the right. This will bring up a dialog box where you can browse to the folder of your choice. Click 'Choose' in the bottom right corner to make the folder that you've selected the default destination for all downloaded files.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Oh, is that what was wrong?
Sounds like. Apple really ought to make it a normal disclosure triangle labeled "Advanced Navigation" or something like that so people know that it's not just some weird, nonstandard arrow button sitting in the middle of nowhere.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Curiosity
Senior User
Jul 23, 2007, 12:53 AM

I thought you had to set the download directory in Safari first.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2007, 01:35 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I always have disliked the one directory saving. It's a pain to always right click and 'save as' everything. At least Opera and Firefox ask all the time, I wish more browsers did that by default.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2007, 04:26 AM

Just to make it clearer, this is what I get hen trying to save something from Firefox

Now from there there i don' see where to save the file in a sub directory, for example GuillaumeB/00

In the same way I have verious sub directory in Documents and from MS Word i dunno how to reach them...
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 04:49 AM

Click the blue button with the downwards pointing arrow.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 04:51 AM

As ghporter said, you need to click on the blue button with the triangle in it, to the right of the name box. This will expand the window and you'll be able so see a standard Mac OS X column browser, and from there choose any location you care.

It amazes me how many people don't know this - but that means is a problem with the UI, not with the users !

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2007, 06:48 AM

ohhhhhhhh ! i see!!!!!!!! damned how could I have missed that!
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 08:44 AM

The concept is rock solid, as 90% of the time you are only saving to a limited selection of places (although the dropdown should list the recent locations on a per app basis). but the UI for expanding the window to show the full structure is indeed highly unintuitive. There are a few spots in the OS like this, that makes you wonder if Apple does any external testing with non-users at all.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2007, 09:58 AM

Well, coming from Windows, I unconsciously thought that this down arrow was to manage which file had to be saved (since it's displayed next to it) and not the place where the file has to be saved.

The down arrow is on the same line as "Save as" there fore I was thinking that clicking on it would enable me to choose another file extension or something...
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2007, 10:41 AM

Like with Windows, you can't actually hurt anything by playing around with the controls, as long as you don't save or commit any changes. That's how I learned as much as I have (which ain't all that much) about OS X.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 10:51 AM

I can completely understand Guillaume!
Even though I use Macs since 15 years now, I also had the exact same problem with the save dialog from time to time because I always expect something else under the blue arrow!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by GuillaumeB View Post
The down arrow is on the same line as "Save as" there fore I was thinking that clicking on it would enable me to choose another file extension or something...
The down arrow used to be next to the "Where" line where it belonged, but apparently it was moved up for some reason.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 11:49 AM

I still have no idea why they feel like this needs a special disclosure triangle.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 12:08 PM

It's so the people who don't know what they're doing will end up saving their files in one of the default locations, so that later when they're looking for the file and don't know where they put it, what they named it, or what was in it, you can use process of elimination to track it down. Sadly, if they didn't do this, there would be some users who would randomly click around and end up saving their documents in the Fonts folder or something.

But I agree that they do need a better UI to make it more obvious how to show the navigation browser.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 12:35 PM

One of Apple's DUHH moments. This, and the whole brushed metal/Aqua/Unified fiasco.

Mac OS X as a whole is intuitive until you hit a huge pothole like this... It's like these were the things that NEEDED to be there, but they only had 10 minutes and didn't think at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules