Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Beckham vs. United States

Beckham vs. United States
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 12:46 PM

It seems that Becks is already getting loads of negative attention after sitting out a few matches with an injury

thisislondon - Frustrated Fans

I'm sure this is going to entice plenty of foreign players to follow Beckham to the States. [/sarcasm]It seems that none of the fans can understand that Beckham has a legitimate injury. I'm not a fan of Beckham at all, but I don't understand this reaction. Sure, he's being paid a quarter of a billion dollars, but we knew about his injury when he was still wearing a Real Madrid kit.

I did like the "bench it like Beckham" sign, however.

Here's hoping that Henry's next stop after Barca is New York.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 12:50 PM

He's getting paid a quarter of a billion, but not by the team. A lot of it is endorsements, which is a first for sports outlets to report as 'salary' for a sports figure.

But honestly, I don't care much. Some people is bitter because a British dude is getting paid to sit rather than an American? Big deal.
( Last edited by Dakarʒ; Aug 1, 2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: I am awesome)

Mel O. Drahmatik
Banned
Aug 1, 2007, 01:11 PM

Who is this guy and why does he have so much drama in his life?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 01:23 PM

That dude looks like such a loser. Who are these tools who follow the LA Galaxies? I've never even heard of this team until Beckham, and I'm pretty well acquainted with US sports. Look at him, with his ugly beard, his ugly haircut, his ugly glasses, wearing an undershirt, a bunch of beads like his hands were bound by a nun, ugly bandanna.

Seriously, who cares? Plus, if Beckham were playing out on the pitch he'd probably aggravate his injury and be sidelined for even longer. I stand by my conclusion that these Galaxy (or is it Galaxies?) fans are losers. Just following soccer in the US is enough to make you a loser anyways.

(Ya I'm in a bad mood)

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mel O. Drahmatik View Post
Who is this guy and why does he have so much drama in his life?
Is this Ca$h/Rob/Kiss ?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 02:09 PM

People actually attend professional soccer games in the US?

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 02:10 PM

It's the next big thing. Sort of. Maybe. We'll see.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Some people is bitter because a British dude is getting paid to sit rather than an American? Big deal.
I think it's more they're pissed that a soccer player is making big money and he's not even playing his silly children's game. That's like the ultimate slap in the face to everybody who works.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 04:21 PM

I went to the Aston Villa vs. Toronto FC game. It was great.

While I'm not a big fan of watching soccer on TV, it was awesome at the stadium, and way better than watching something like baseball or US/Canadian football IMO. I'm seriously considering getting season's tickets. The only other pro sport I'd consider doing that for is basketball, but the tickets cost too much. Actually hockey is interesting too, but I prefer watching basketball.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I think it's more they're pissed that a soccer player is making big money and he's not even playing his silly children's game. That's like the ultimate slap in the face to everybody who works.
That doesn't explain the "Welcome to America"

Edit: Ok, maybe it doesn't have to do with him being British, but then I find the social commentary completely confusing. Seems unfair to single out Beckham or Soccer.
( Last edited by Dakarʒ; Aug 1, 2007 at 04:36 PM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 04:32 PM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 05:05 PM

That doesn't explain the "Welcome to America"

Edit: Ok, maybe it doesn't have to do with him being British, but then I find the social commentary completely confusing. Seems unfair to single out Beckham or Soccer.
Well, nobody in America takes soccer seriously, and he's making even more than most athletes, and he's basically missing his first day on the job. It all combines to make people want to make fun of him.
Chuck
___

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 1, 2007, 05:17 PM

I have known who the guy is for some time. They met with the editor of Vogue or something a few years ago about getting a cover story - about their 'Arrival in America.' Who gives a s#%$.

I had only seen the pictures of him until he started getting press in the USA. Have you heard the guys voice? He sounds like a woman. It's probably best if he sticks to photographs and not video.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 05:41 PM

Well, nobody in America takes soccer seriously, and he's making even more than most athletes, and he's basically missing his first day on the job. It all combines to make people want to make fun of him.
I think Beckham just became Soccer's A-Rod.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 05:57 PM

and he's making even more than most athletes, and he's basically missing his first day on the job.
So, nothing at all like Deion's first Cowboys season then?

I suspect Posh's constant presence in the dirt rags ain't helping things.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 06:20 PM

I think Beckham just became Soccer's A-Rod.
... or the 00's Pelé.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 06:30 PM

Pelé caught a lot of flak?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 06:42 PM

My girlfriend never liked Beckham. Says he was always just a big whiner.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 06:45 PM

That's what I was wondering too, Dakar.

As for soccer being an unpopular sport in America, it's been found that most American soccer fans tend to keep up with the Premiership, or even Serie A and La Liga. However, MLS attendances are growing every year along with the quality of play.

I don't think it will ever topple baseball or football, but soccer is coming up at a somewhat slow but steady pace.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I don't think it will ever topple baseball or football, but soccer is coming up at a somewhat slow but steady pace.
You think it'll topple basketball?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 07:28 PM

You think it'll topple basketball?
In some regions, yes. That is, if basketball keeps turning people off. I know this region has shifted away from it big time. Soccer culture is budding here.

But it's still a long shot, I know. And anything like that would take 15-20 more years probably.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 07:48 PM

You guys without kids may not be aware of how soccer is become the most common sport for very young kids. Girls as well as boys start at 4 and 5 years old, and parents are much more enthused about their little ones playing soccer at that age than traditional American sports. Apparently soccer is easier for young kids because they can just run around and kick a ball without requiring too much skill to have fun.

As the soccer generation become adults, soccer will really put pressure on other sports.

Both my girl and boy play, although my son has asked to play football this year (he's starting first grade ).

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
As the soccer generation become adults, soccer will really put pressure on other sports.
People have been saying that for years. Hasn't happened. Would be nice if it did.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 07:55 PM

If you're a big fan of Soccer, you probably don't want it to become as big as Basketball, Football or Baseball here in the U.S.

That is, unless you want it to become a sport where scandal is more important that athletic ability and respect for the sport.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 07:57 PM

Does anyone outside of a few markets give a rip about baseball? It's boring as hell and they're all on steroids.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
If you're a big fan of Soccer, you probably don't want it to become as big as Basketball, Football or Baseball here in the U.S.

That is, unless you want it to become a sport where scandal is more important that athletic ability and respect for the sport.
It's not all bad:
ESPN - Dungy can add best-selling author to his resume - NFL

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 08:03 PM

You guys without kids may not be aware of how soccer is become the most common sport for very young kids.
Of course it is. Always has been. It's a children's game in America. My friends and I all played it when we were little too.
Chuck
___

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 08:15 PM

Of course it is. Always has been. It's a children's game in America. My friends and I all played it when we were little too.
I'm 45, and I was not exposed to soccer until I was in college. I don't know when the soccer for kids started to become so common, but I think it has to be only in the last 10-15 years, at least in my part of the country.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 01:57 AM

Soccer is just a bad copy of football, get a new idea already!
I am still in a very funny mood, please forgive me.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2007, 02:13 AM

I played soccer for 10 years growing up, and everyone wanted to be like a famous European League player not an American player. But soccer has grown more in the U.S. with it being on t.v. more and ESPN is showing it more since the last World Cup.

And some of you saying its a children's game need to look at how its played, the same 11 players on each team run up and down the pitch for 90 min and only a 15 min or so half-time in the middle. Theres no quarters, theres no offense on the field then a defense, its the same 11 running around with only 3 substitutions for the whole game.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 02:22 AM

It's the next big thing. Sort of. Maybe. We'll see.
I don't think so. Baseball, Basketball and Football are the US favorites.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2007, 02:33 AM

I'm 45, and I was not exposed to soccer until I was in college. I don't know when the soccer for kids started to become so common, but I think it has to be only in the last 10-15 years, at least in my part of the country.
My brother and I played it as kids when we were growing up; we're not 45 yet but it was 20 years ago. Soccer has always been the top sport for little kids (maybe tee-ball is a competitor)... after a few seasons of watching little kids play it almost everyone is bored of it and stops. Not enough action I suppose.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 03:10 AM

We (Americans) seem to be most interested in the few sports we invented ourselves...American football, basketball, baseball. Soccer is a "foreigner's game," but as the world shrinks and cultures mix more easily, perhaps soccer will gain popularity.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 06:36 AM

His contract is actually worth less than half of the reported value. But still, I think it's a response to the media hype upon his arrival.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2007, 07:10 AM

Interesting and funny analysis about the popularity of soccer in America:

Why We Hate Soccer

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post

What's this 'become'? When the Season is up and running, (and even when it's not) in the UK at least the media pay more attention to the Managers slagging each other off in interviews, or some sort of transfer/injury gossip, than what actually happened on the pitch for 90 odd minutes.

The Guy with the board obviously doesn't know much about the game. Big money players are always getting injured, then spending the majority of the season out of action. It's just the nature of the game.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Interesting and funny analysis about the popularity of soccer in America:

Why We Hate Soccer
It's the same moronic analysis about low scores that you can read anywhere. They all act like most games are 0-0, which isn't true at all. Low scoring obviously isn't an issue as people are perfectly happen to watch Big 10 football, which is boring as hell. If watching sports were all about scoring, then why do people like baseball? Soccer games are 1.75 hrs (2 45 minute halves and a 5 minute half time) and score around 3 times. Baseball games are around 4 hours (whee! commercials every three outs and at pitcher changes) and score around 6 times - same amount of scoring per hour. Football games take 3.5 hours and well less than 60 of that involves actual play.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2007, 01:41 PM

We (Americans) seem to be most interested in the few sports we invented ourselves...American football, basketball, baseball. Soccer is a "foreigner's game," but as the world shrinks and cultures mix more easily, perhaps soccer will gain popularity.
Well, just to be clear, basketball was invented by a Canadian, albeit in the US.

Baseball and American football are based off rounders and rugby respectively, both from the UK.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
What's this 'become'? When the Season is up and running, (and even when it's not) in the UK at least the media pay more attention to the Managers slagging each other off in interviews, or some sort of transfer/injury gossip, than what actually happened on the pitch for 90 odd minutes.
Well, I was speaking more of the U.S. soccer league. Here, we get next to no news about Soccer, especially about the scandals and whatnot. Right now, American Baseball, Basketball and Football are just big soap operas. Makes me a sad panda.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Aug 2, 2007, 03:46 PM

its called football people lol

I have always liked Beckham due to performances for his origional club Man Utd and Efforts for England, i think he should of come back to the UK not gone to the US, although i think the media in the UK scared him off a bit. he didnt need the money he got from going to LA, he should be playing football in the wolds best leauge, The Premiership.

Matt

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2007, 06:35 PM

An interesting observation is that I suspect David Beckham is the most recognisable person in the world.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2007, 06:48 PM

I don't know about that. I doubt most Americans could recognize the Groom of Posh, and probably not a lot of Asians — at least, I don't think soccer is as big over there as in Europe. Probably more like Arnold Schwarzenegger or some other international movie star.
Chuck
___

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 06:52 PM

probably not a lot of Asians — at least, I don't think soccer is as big over there as in Europe
The best part about traveling to Asia was that SportsCenter covers a ton of soccer. Get back to the States, and you'd wonder if it even existed.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 07:01 PM

I don't know about that. I doubt most Americans could recognize the Groom of Posh, and probably not a lot of Asians — at least, I don't think soccer is as big over there as in Europe. Probably more like Arnold Schwarzenegger or some other international movie star.
Beckham is probably the best known foreigner in Asia, nothing to do with soccer, its because of Pepsi.

hojo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
People actually attend professional soccer games in the US?
There are actually professional soccer teams in the US?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2007, 09:01 PM

If by "professional" you mean "middle school," then absolutely.
Chuck
___

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 06:20 PM

Soccer (ahem) is hugely popular in all of east Asia and Beckham would be well known in China, India, Japan and much of south east Asia. He is well known in Australia and New Zealand, all of Europe and South America. I can't find any hard data to validate my outlandish claim but he really might be the most recognised person in the world. Of course, I appreciate that he is not well known in the US....but then 95% of the world's population is not American!

I had the misfortune of watching a TV show which is running here of Mrs. Beckham settling into life in the US - finding a house, getting a driving licence etc. Terrible.

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 3, 2007, 08:27 PM

Meh. Sports in general are stupid. If we spend half the time on energy on solving environmental problems as the general american does on sports, we'd have 200mpg super safe flying cars by now. And dodo birds.

I just don't get the sports EXTREME mentality. So what if you played football in HS? SO what if you memorized the stats of some player who plays some version of 'get the ball and win the game'. I really don't care, your wife doesn't care (and if she says she does she's pretending), and you could be doing something more productive with your time.

The only sports I like are ones that push technology, and have high speeds. I do kinda like soccer, because I use to play it in HS, but I don't follow any of it. I did watch the world cup though.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Aeternus View Post
I just don't get the sports EXTREME mentality. So what if you played football in HS?
Originally Posted by Aeternus View Post
I do kinda like soccer, because I use to play it in HS
Your parting gifts are available after you exit the conversation. Thank you for playing.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2007, 12:29 AM

Football (Soccer) is for proles, and their sloped-brow, yobbish, tracksuit wearing fans.

Forum Links
Forum Rules