Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone ever feel like they have too much clutter in their life?

Anyone ever feel like they have too much clutter in their life?
alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2007, 08:43 PM

I'm looking around my room and I realize I have too much crap. Not the "give it to someone" type, but the "throw it away" type. For example, I hate dust jackets on books, yet I keep them all for some strange reason. My old stereo speakers are way too big for what I need, and I have way too many things plugged in and charging. My file cabinet is overflowing. I also keep stuff just in case I need it.

How do I get rid of this junk and clean up my house?

Mel O. Drahmatik
Banned
Aug 4, 2007, 10:34 PM

Throw out everything. Increase the drama!

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2007, 11:21 PM

Didn't Oprah had a show about that recently(here in Holland anyway)? The one rule when handling something that clutters your room: if you have to think about it's relevance, throw it away.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2007, 11:34 PM

Sounds like it's time for a garage sale and/or eBay. Sell your speakers and any crap you don't need that has any resale value at all.

For your files: limit yourself to one or two file crates. Buy a good crosscut shredder and start shredding receipts that are either not for something you might return or get service on (e.g. electronics) or are more than a year old. If you have a scanner, use it to archive old tax returns in PDF or JPEG format, then shred the originals. Shred any bank statements that are more than a year old - odds are very good that you won't need them anymore. If you're not in school anymore, it's time to get rid of old assignments, transcripts, etc.

Keeping a file cabinet (e.g. something with more than one drawer for hanging files) allows you to keep way, way, way too much stuff. Using file crates has two benefits: it prevents you from hanging on to too much crap, and portability means you can take them to anywhere in your house to continue staying organized. I frequently file stuff after work when I'm relaxing with a movie or something, since I can just take my files into my living room.

In a digital age, it's really unnecessary to keep paper copies of things. If you don't have a scanner, I'd recommend getting a cheap one. I got a Visioneer USB scanner for $50 at Big Lots a few years ago, and I've used it many times for archiving documents and whatnot. You don't need anything special - something that's capable of even 200dpi scans is plenty.

Most importantly, get an organizing buddy. I know it sounds retarded, but you'll stay on track and get really organized if you have a significant other, parent, friend, roommate, etc. there to give input on what to throw out, or just to keep you focused on the task at hand.

I know how you feel about the clutter. I used to keep everything. I'm slowly learning to let go of stuff, but it takes time. I deep clean my apartment a couple times a year, and usually end up throwing out three or four 30-gallon trash bags of crap in the process.

Good luck!!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2007, 02:46 PM

The best way to get rid of clutter is a large trash bad. Seriously, just throw it away. If the stuff is still useful, set it beside the dumpster, someone will take it. The worst thing you can do is convince yourself that you have some unrealistic future use for it.

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 6, 2007, 02:49 PM

Don't throw **** away. Take it to Goodwill, or St. Vincents. It's the most enviromentally responsible thing to do. That, and quit buying **** you don't need/use.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 02:50 PM

There's no amount of OCD that can't be cured by a couple of prozac and a polo mallet.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
In a digital age, it's really unnecessary to keep paper copies of things. If you don't have a scanner, I'd recommend getting a cheap one. I got a Visioneer USB scanner for $50 at Big Lots a few years ago, and I've used it many times for archiving documents and whatnot. You don't need anything special - something that's capable of even 200dpi scans is plenty.
That cure sound worse than the disease.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĘ’ View Post
That cure sound worse than the disease.
Not when it's things like last year's 1040 and I have to mail a signed copy of something including $$ values from a page of my 1040 to the IRS (which just happened to me last week).

I'm not saying keep copies of everything. But things like receipts to get warranty service you should keep; keeping a digital copy instead of a hard copy takes up less space and lasts longer.

<edit>Not to mention the fact that hoarding digital data is really not a problem. Hard drive space is virtually unlimited these days, and 300 scanned documents takes 0 square inches of physical space compared to 300 files in a file cabinet. Just sayin'.</edit>
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 03:06 PM

I'm saying I'd rather throw some stuff in a box than take the time to scan and accurately name a file. That's a lot of work for something I may never need.

Rumor

A reliable zippo and some gasoline can cure that problem.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN

The best cure for clutter is having to move every other year for about 10 years straight.

From age 22 to 32 I have lived in 8 different places. You end up really figuring out what is important and what isn't.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 03:18 PM

Just set it all ablaze.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 03:22 PM

If you have not used anything in 6 months, chuck it. The only exception to this is financial records.

freudling
Banned
Aug 6, 2007, 03:37 PM

When I was in Uni and looked around my apartment and threw most everything out. My bed, sofa, desk... I had an empty apartmet and I slept on the floor. I liked it much better. 1 fork, 1 knife, 1 plate, 1 glass...

It made so much sense. No clutter, nothing to clean but the floor. I did have a small computer desk and chair...

Papers... I hate paper laying around. Anytime someone tries to give me pamphlets or a wade of receipts from a purchase that I will never need to keep the receipt, etc. I just vehemently refuse to take the paper. If I must, I just throw it out at the store. And packaging? I usually buy something and open it at the store, and then throw the packaging out there.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Not when it's things like last year's 1040 and I have to mail a signed copy of something including $$ values from a page of my 1040 to the IRS (which just happened to me last week).
I didn't print, mail, or sign anything in order to file my taxes. I have a copy of my 1040 in PDF. Why would paper be involved?

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 03:52 PM

I think you know why.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2007, 03:55 PM

I have too much clutter, but I wouldn't trade it for that moment when you realize "damn, I can't believe I threw that out!" In other words, I am a pack rat.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 03:57 PM

I'm considering a ScanSnap Scanner. One button - and instantly everything is digital.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger View Post
I have too much clutter, but I wouldn't trade it for that moment when you realize "damn, I can't believe I threw that out!" In other words, I am a pack rat.
Yeah, I think that's exactly the reason people have a problem with keeping too much stuff around. My wife and I have a constant struggle with this: If she can think of one theoretically possible reason to keep something, no matter how unlikely, she wants to keep it. I want to get rid of everything. Arguments, err, discussions ensue.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The best cure for clutter is having to move every other year for about 10 years straight.

From age 22 to 32 I have lived in 8 different places. You end up really figuring out what is important and what isn't.
I moved six times in a little over three years, I don't have much left that I don't use on a regular basis.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I'm considering a ScanSnap Scanner. One button - and instantly everything is digital.
I didn't know we were talking about paper, With me its mostly motherboards, cables, Processors, ram, HDS, CD drives it's not a very diverse clutter, just a LOT of all that stuff.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I also have all of the computer "junk" most people have. USB cables, keyboards, extra mice, etc. What I really need is one of those "Tea, Earl Gray, Hot" matter creation things from Star Trek TNG. Then I'd have it only when I need it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2007, 05:41 PM

I'm a horrible packrat. I keep everything that could conceivably have a future use. The unfortunate part is that I usually do find a use for it, so I can't even talk myself out of keeping it rationally.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 07:28 PM

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner, my wireless mouse (no cable no clutter!) got buried under the papers and junk under my desk because the cat knocked it off and the back of the mouse opened up and the batteries fell out and it took awhile to find them because they rolled under the packing crate next to the desk and while I was looking for them I found an article from a newspaper I had cut out that was really interesting but I had lost track of it.
What was the question?

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2007, 08:03 PM

Definitely do it. I love mine.
Backup your Backup

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 09:25 PM

How quickly do these scanners work? Could I scan copies of all my bills, then toss the bills when paid?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 09:38 PM

How quickly do these scanners work? Could I scan copies of all my bills, then toss the bills when paid?
All my bills are on auto-pay and I get electronic copies via email or their website. No need to scan.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 09:41 PM

+

=

HILARITY

seriously, go for it.

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 6, 2007, 09:45 PM

Autopay is scary. I can't tell you how many times places have screwed up my bill. I'd say SBC has done it about 8 times, maybe more.

andi*pandi
Aug 6, 2007, 10:20 PM

It's always a great relief to toss stuff. I'd been saving old baby clothes/toys/stuff for 5 years, thinking I'd use them, and now I have a girl I'm probably going to be giving most of it away. This week I gave a whole bunch of stuff to some guy on craigslist whose daughter just had a baby. My attic and basement are going to be so spacious.

papers are harder. I keep bills for 3 years, taxes for 7... at least my bank statement no longer includes my actual checks, just a scanned copy. And using billpay, I print out my confirmation.

what do people do with old birthday cards and such? I can't bear to toss them. Yet what purpose could they have?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
what do people do with old birthday cards and such?
Shoebox. They don't take up much space, but they can have a lot of sentimental value.
Chuck
___

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 7, 2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
what do people do with old birthday cards and such? I can't bear to toss them. Yet what purpose could they have?
Throw them away. Who cares. Now random screws and bolts and hardware, I HAVE to keep them!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 03:32 AM

- Clutter is bad for your energy. (Bad feng shui)
- I have sever OCD.
- My wife is a pack-rat.

As a result I'm in hell.

I finally rented a storage unit at $40 per month for $hit we don't need. I figure if I can get it out of the house I can ween her off of the stuff and eventually get rid of it.

At some point in the future I'll be able to walk in my walk-in closet again and I might find that weight bench in the garage.

My only big vice is this:
- I have two pieces of furniture that I *love* so I hate to just give it away or throw it away, but I have no further use. I can't pawn it off on anyway. Bugger.

No time or patience for yard sales either. (You can price something 50 cents and someone will want to bargain with you.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
I hate dust jackets on books, yet I keep them all for some strange reason.
You should keep those. If the books are at all collectable, having the original dust jackets can easily increase the value by 50 to 100 per cent.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 08:35 AM

That's all I need, another reason to keep the book when I'm done reading it. I normally don't read the same book twice, yet I keep all the books I purchase. Why?

andi*pandi
Aug 7, 2007, 09:07 AM

sounds like you need a library card.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 10:14 AM

Buying books is retarded. Just go to a library.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 10:20 AM

One thing you could do is join the local Freecycle and give your clutter away to people that might want it, easy.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
The library has crap for selection WRT books I read. Check out Swaptree - Beta Home - you can trade straight up with other people.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 10:34 AM

I asked her to leave and take her dog with her. I'm getting my closets back!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Libraries are retarded. I have a better selection on my wall than my local library.
Chuck
___

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aeternus View Post
Don't throw **** away. Take it to Goodwill, or St. Vincents. It's the most enviromentally responsible thing to do. That, and quit buying **** you don't need/use.
Quoted for emphasis. Stop buying stuff you don't need.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 11:42 AM

You can't think of a situation in which you might need something at one time and not another?
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules