Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Happy Birthday Lego!

Happy Birthday Lego!
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 12:30 PM

75 years young today. You don't look a day over 10.

We love you!

PREVIEW: Lego celebrates 75th anniversary : General

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 12:49 PM

I never played much with Legos when I was a kid, but my kids love them. There are only a few computer games I let them play (they are young) and one is Lego Star Wars (1 & 2). It's funny as heck. When a character gets hit with a light sabre, they break apart like real Legos.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 01:13 PM

Lego Mindstorm rocks
we don't have time to stop for gas

Rumor
Aug 10, 2007, 01:13 PM

I used to have a massive Lego collection. It's probably still sitting in my mothers attic.

I've always thought they were good for assisting in the development of creativity.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2007, 01:17 PM

75 years young today. You don't look a day over 10.
On the contrary. Compared to the company that Lego used to be, today it looks like a miserable old geezer.

So happy birthday, Lego—may your third age bring you wisdom far beyond that of your second, enabling you to once more become a company people can actually like.

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 02:10 PM

Someone's bitter. ^^

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Aug 10, 2007, 02:53 PM

Lego or Legos?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Someone's bitter. ^^

No, more disappointed. I never did play much with Legos as a kid, but at least back then (though it’s less than two decades ago), there were lots of good Lego products; they just seem to have gone perpetually downhill in the past decade or so, taking everything that was good about them and throwing it out with the baby’s bathwater, or however that saying goes.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2007, 03:48 PM

I loved Lego as a kid. Though, I did enjoy Playmobil slightly more.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2007, 04:25 PM

I love Legos. I play Lego Star Wars 1 and 2 all the time and enjoy helping my little brother out with his. They really do help foster creativity.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
No, more disappointed. I never did play much with Legos as a kid, but at least back then (though it’s less than two decades ago), there were lots of good Lego products; they just seem to have gone perpetually downhill in the past decade or so, taking everything that was good about them and throwing it out with the baby’s bathwater, or however that saying goes.
I have to agree with you. 20 years ago, when you wanted to build a helicopter you had to get a bunch of small parts together and figure it out. Now they have a helicopter kit that has like 5 parts which are all already molded in shape. So it's really easy to build and you can't really use the parts to make other stuff. Both of which ruin the creativity aspect of Lego. Before when you bought say a spaceship kit, you'd build the main ship using the instructions and then try to build one of the other options that was on the box merely by going by the picture. And then you could go crazy after that.

I was really lucky to be the youngest of 4. All of my siblings' legos got passed down to me and I got some more on top of that. I had two giant boxes full of bricks. Sadly, my nephew and niece lost most of it and my brother tossed the rest cause he's a moron. That collection would practically be priceless now. Which brings me to my next point. Legos have gotten wayyyyyy too expensive. They're plastic bricks for god sakes. Each one must cost 0.00000001 cents to make.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
I have to agree with you. 20 years ago, when you wanted to build a helicopter you had to get a bunch of small parts together and figure it out. Now they have a helicopter kit that has like 5 parts which are all already molded in shape. So it's really easy to build and you can't really use the parts to make other stuff. Both of which ruin the creativity aspect of Lego. Before when you bought say a spaceship kit, you'd build the main ship using the instructions and then try to build one of the other options that was on the box merely by going by the picture. And then you could go crazy after that.
Agreed.

And part of the fun was in discovering that you haven't got enough bricks or the right type of brick for what you wanted to do, forcing you to come up with a workaround. Can't do that with these new kits which put it all there on a plate in front of you.

And how the hell do they expect kids to make gerbil castles nowadays with the parts of offer? What are the gerbils supposed to do? Be bored in their boring cages all the time?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 06:56 PM

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
K'Nex is a newcomer, it wasn't even around when I was a kid, while Lego was an established item.
How come Americans* all say Legos? As they always come in more then ones, it makes more sense as collective noun like sheap. Single=Lego Brick, Multiple=Pile of Lego. I even think that the company came out and said as such at some point.
*had lots of Lego as a kid, my parent's even had me in the Official Lego builders club (I always wanted to go to LegoLand, that was back when there was only one in Denmark). and I never had seen the word Legos until I saw it on the internet.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Agreed.

And part of the fun was in discovering that you haven't got enough bricks or the right type of brick for what you wanted to do, forcing you to come up with a workaround. Can't do that with these new kits which put it all there on a plate in front of you.
Oh man, that used to piss me off. I'd just be finishing some grandiose contraption when I realized I was missing the final crucial piece. The workarounds were always fun though.

My greatest achievement was my XXL spaceship. I had gotten the kit for the spaceship/shuttle with the little car that dropped off the ramp in the back and it was one of my favorite things to build. So I took it to the next level and built one about three times the size with a badass van that came out the back. Why cruise around in a dune buggy when you can have the utility of a van. Know what I'm sayin'.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

hayesk
Aug 10, 2007, 11:03 PM

To be anal about it, it's Lego, not legos.
To be really anal about it, it's Lego bricks, not Lego.

Lego seems to be finding their roots again - their creator and town sets seem to be reverting to the make lots of stuff with generic pieces, rather than making a lot of customized pieces.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk
To be anal about it, it's Lego, not legos.
To be really anal about it, it's Lego bricks, not Lego.
And to be really anal about it, it’s LEGO (properly written in capitalised italics)—but who wants to be that anal, eh? P:

Originally Posted by hayesk
Lego seems to be finding their roots again - their creator and town sets seem to be reverting to the make lots of stuff with generic pieces, rather than making a lot of customized pieces.
I really hope that’s true.

I’d also hope they started finding their roots again as regarding corporate policies. Not too long ago, they were a nice company to work for, with plenty of staff-oriented activities, projects, and benefits; nowadays, however, they’ve outsourced half their stuff to Third World countries (something that will also, I’m sure, have a bad effect on their otherwise outstanding environmental and recycling policies), and even staff at headquarters here in Denmark are leaving the company and complaining that staff is treated more and more like work drones, and less and less like people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules