Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will the iPod still evolve into a Newton of sorts?

Will the iPod still evolve into a Newton of sorts? (Page 2)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 03:04 PM

Scary how long ago I got this right along with the iTunes Wifi Store.

It won't be long before it has iChat I am sure.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 6, 2007, 03:08 PM

Good call. I'm pretty sure I'm getting one. If I know I can do email and IM on it, I'm definitely ordering one.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Good call. I'm pretty sure I'm getting one. If I know I can do email and IM on it, I'm definitely ordering one.
I give it less than a week before mail from the iPhone is moved to the touch.

You can already do all IM services though a website on the iPhone.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 6, 2007, 03:31 PM

Looks like something like BeeJive will have IM covered, but what about POP-based email? I think it would be irritating to have to look at Gmail's webmail on that screen. Is there a better solution?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2007, 04:02 PM

There's a decent chance that Google will release an iPhone optimized version of Gmail. Regardless, I agree with analogue SPRINKELS that the iPod Touch will have the version of Mail from the iPhone within a week of release.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2007, 04:07 PM

I'm really dying to see more apps on the iPhone and touch. To-do list? Games? I would love to see all sorts of widgets. Sports score, trackers, movie times widgets, etc. Little conveniences.

I want apps too, not web apps.

I think I'm in love more with the promise of the iPhone more then what it can offer today.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm really dying to see more apps on the iPhone and touch. To-do list? Games? I would love to see all sorts of widgets. Sports score, trackers, movie times widgets, etc. Little conveniences.

I want apps too, not web apps.

I think I'm in love more with the promise of the iPhone more then what it can offer today.
Pretty sure by xmas on Jan next year there will be lots of native iPhone touch and tilt games sold through apple.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2007, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure too... I just worry that we might see them pull some crap where a new iPhone comes out with all sorts of software that the old one doesn't have.

I want to be 100% sure that the iPhone is going to be very upgradable (software wise) before I spend my money on one.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 04:59 PM

I want to be 100% sure that the iPhone is going to be very upgradable (software wise) before I spend my money on one.
How will you even know that? Steve send you a promise note? I think it is more than safe to assume that they will support each iPhone with new software features for at least a year.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2007, 05:03 PM

I'll have my first big clue when I see some new software for the current iPhone start to appear.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 06:01 PM

Looks like something like BeeJive will have IM covered, but what about POP-based email? I think it would be irritating to have to look at Gmail's webmail on that screen. Is there a better solution?
Mail2Web can pick up any POP based email, via a web interface, don't know how well it works on the iPod/iPhone small screen.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Sep 6, 2007 at 06:08 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2007, 08:50 PM

I'll have my first big clue when I see some new software for the current iPhone start to appear.
Check this out: http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/2...or-the-iphone/

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
There's a decent chance that Google will release an iPhone optimized version of Gmail. Regardless, I agree with analogue SPRINKELS that the iPod Touch will have the version of Mail from the iPhone within a week of release.
Gmail is already optimised for the iPhone. You mean optimised for the iPod Touch

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 7, 2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post

Scary how long ago I got this right along with the iTunes Wifi Store.

It won't be long before it has iChat I am sure.
Yes, you are great at pointing out the obvious, and then acting all pretentious about it.

*I am seeing visions of a mac mini upgrade... or something to replace it all together...*

Lets see if my prediction comes true!1

Ever since the iPod FIRST came out people were saying it would eventually replace the Newton as it caught on. Garnering more features and usage. Rumor sites have been saying this for YEARS.

So for you to come in here and claim it's "scary" that you got it "so right" Is a bit of an exaggeration.

As I've been reading the SAME predictions for years on other rumors sites that you also frequent.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 10:58 AM

I think Apple is stupid not to put iChat in the iPhone/Touch. They would sell a million more .Mac subscriptions and can even turn it into a VOIP service.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yes, you are great at pointing out the obvious, and then acting all pretentious about it.

*I am seeing visions of a mac mini upgrade... or something to replace it all together...*

Lets see if my prediction comes true!1

Ever since the iPod FIRST came out people were saying it would eventually replace the Newton as it caught on. Garnering more features and usage. Rumor sites have been saying this for YEARS.

So for you to come in here and claim it's "scary" that you got it "so right" Is a bit of an exaggeration.

As I've been reading the SAME predictions for years on other rumors sites that you also frequent.
Well aren't you Mr. Positive.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 11:03 AM

Apparently analogue hasn't left him with much else to start **** about.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 11:07 AM

You take what you can get, I guess.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 11:11 AM

You take what you can get, I guess.
Ah yes, the philosophy my girlfriends have operated under.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 11:14 AM

So I'm taking pictures of my day today. Expect to see them up here whenever I get time. But I'm going to see the girl tonight. You don't get to see that.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 11:16 AM

If your car is featured prominently, I may have to hunt you down.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 11:21 AM

*goes and deletes half of the pictures...*

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 7, 2007, 12:20 PM

Well aren't you Mr. Positive.
Not positive or negative. SWG has a habit of taking the obvious, or reposting what someone else says, and then acting like he has a magic crystal ball that makes these "guesses" that are so "accurate" they are "scary"

When all he is doing is reading the rumor sites and just repeating what is being said. Or just using common sense.

Is anyone in here actually SURPRISED and amazed the iPod turned into a Newton like device? I don't really think so. As it's been being said since it came out that it would probably eventually be so.

What SWG is doing is making obvious predictions months before the product comes out, predictions that most rumors sites at the time are also making "coincidentally" then when it comes to fruition he bumps up said thread and says "Look, I predicted it all along! I was so close it's scary!!!"

While I am not sure what his intentions behind doing such a thing is, it comes of as a bit pretentious. Esp when you can read the SAME THING on many other rumor sites. Sites that SWG has also admitted to going to. One of his posts awhile back was almost word for word from another rumor site. And esp when he makes comments like this to other people who are making predictions too. For example

How will you even know that? Steve send you a promise note? I think it is more than safe to assume that they will support each iPhone with new software features for at least a year.
So unless you are Steve, or SWG, you shouldn't be making predictions.

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Apparently analogue hasn't left him with much else to start **** about.
Not starting **** It would just be nicer if people were a bit more honest.

A "I read this here, and think it's true also" instead of "I predict this will happen"

I am sure if you ran a rumor site and wrote a bunch of stuff you "heard" or "predicted" and someone basically took your idea or belief and spun it as their own aka taking credit for it, you'd be upset at such dishonesty. Anyone rightfully would be.
( Last edited by Kevin; Sep 7, 2007 at 01:05 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 01:11 PM

Not positive or negative. SWG has a habit of taking the obvious, or reposting what someone else says, and then acting like he has a magic crystal ball that makes these "guesses" that are so "accurate" they are "scary"

When all he is doing is reading the rumor sites and just repeating what is being said. Or just using common sense.
I disagree. Now (looking back) everything might look like common sense, but SWG really hit the nail on the head way before anyone else around here. Even the rumor sites didn't have a feature-ladden iPod like this on their minds.

Honor to whom honor is due.

-t

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I disagree. Where now (looking back) everythin might look like common sense, SWG really hit the nail on the head way before anyone else around here. Even the rumor sites didn't have a feature-ladden iPod like this on their minds.

-t
Plenty of people guessed that the iPod would turn into a newton the day the first iPod came out. I nailed the specifics though and at the same time there were plenty of people who swore it would be touchscreen but with only a scrolling Ipod like interface.

Anyway, I'd like to see any actual LINKS to anyone else who made such close guesses. Even rumor sites weren't as bang on as I was with only vague descriptions and guesses.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 06:14 PM

I see you are not above attacking the messenger and not the message yourself when it suits you.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 03:47 AM

Okay, just to clarify. Can you enter contacts and calendar events into the iPod touch?

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 8, 2007, 08:32 AM

I disagree. Now (looking back) everything might look like common sense, but SWG really hit the nail on the head way before anyone else around here. Even the rumor sites didn't have a feature-ladden iPod like this on their minds.

You can disagree all you want. I've read rumor sites that maybe you don't know about? Or an article? I've read this ALL before. There has been TONS of reports how Apple was going to turn the iPOd into the New newton. THis was YEARS ago.

He hasn't offered anything to us that 1. hasn't already been said before. 2. Isn't common sense.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 8, 2007, 08:37 AM

Plenty of people guessed that the iPod would turn into a newton the day the first iPod came out. I nailed the specifics though and at the same time there were plenty of people who swore it would be touchscreen but with only a scrolling Ipod like interface.
There was plenty of people giving specifics too SWG. Again, nothing you said was really all that different than the rumors sites.
Hell even one member mentioned this

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
I think that the next logical step from music and video for the iPod is some sort of web browsing capability and games.
SWG was just making logical guesses. Ones others were also making during this time. Just because no one else in here attempted to go around the net and compile and list of rumors in one thread doesn't mean SWF deserves a pat on the back. Esp since he is acting like he pulled this all out of his butt and made it all up himself!
Anyway, I'd like to see any actual LINKS to anyone else who made such close guesses. Even rumor sites weren't as bang on as I was with only vague descriptions and guesses.
Yeah they were. And I am sure when I have time this weekend, I'll find you a few links.

But regardless of what I show you SWG, you will deny and pick apart etc.

I'll also try to find that thread you posted were you almost copied word for word another rumor site when your "predictions"

While I don't believe you get your information from any ONE site, you take a conglomerate of info from them all an pick and choose which idea would fit Apple's direction and Steve the best.

It's not that hard to do. You are patting yourself on the back a little too hard. Esp when you know what you've been saying is out there.
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I see you are not above attacking the messenger and not the message yourself when it suits you.
Whats to attack about the message? The message didn't do anything wrong. The rumors that were floating about aren't wrong.. why would I attack that?

When I speak of attacking the messenger and not the msg (Which I never said I was above, as a matter of fact, I said we all do it...) I mean when their is actually a msg to attack. Someone ignores it and just goes after the person.

This isn't the case here.

I am all for originality. People giving credit for others ideas. For giving people props for helping you out on your "ideas"

Not for going to all the rumor sites, and collecting all the "What ifs" coming to an conclusion and acting as if it were your own. And THEN act as if you have some special power to predict these things. It's a scam. And there is nothing wrong with calling out a scam.

If *I* were to have posted this exact thread, I not only would have been made fun of and told "get out of here" because of the "duh" obviousness of what would happened next, the thread would have turned out differently.

I too could have posted these exact same "guesses" as it seems me and SWG read the same rumor pages.

So come follow me and my crystal ball! Hell we all have the power to have SWG "wisdom" over such things.

( Last edited by Kevin; Sep 14, 2007 at 06:23 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2007, 11:12 AM

You can disagree all you want.
Thank you, you are so kind.

I've read rumor sites that maybe you don't know about? Or an article? I've read this ALL before. There has been TONS of reports how Apple was going to turn the iPOd into the New newton. THis was YEARS ago.

He hasn't offered anything to us that 1. hasn't already been said before. 2. Isn't common sense.
Well, then post some links.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 01:36 PM

There was plenty of people giving specifics too SWG. Again, nothing you said was really all that different than the rumors sites.

Yeah they were. And I am sure when I have time this weekend, I'll find you a few links.

But regardless of what I show you SWG, you will deny and pick apart etc.

I'll also try to find that thread you posted were you almost copied word for word another rumor site when your "predictions"

While I don't believe you get your information from any ONE site, you take a conglomerate of info from them all an pick and choose which idea would fit Apple's direction and Steve the best.

It's not that hard to do. You are patting yourself on the back a little too hard. Esp when you know what you've been saying is out there.

Whats to attack about the message? The message didn't do anything wrong. The rumors that were floating about aren't wrong.. why would I attack that?

When I speak of attacking the messenger and not the msg (Which I never said I was above, as a matter of fact, I said we all do it...) I mean when their is actually a msg to attack. Someone ignores it and just goes after the person.

This isn't the case here.

I am all for originality. People giving credit for others ideas. For giving people props for helping you out on your "ideas"

Not for going to all the rumor sites, and collecting all the "What ifs" coming to an conclusion and acting as if it were your own. And THEN act as if you have some special power to predict these things. It's a scam. And there is nothing wrong with calling out a scam.

If *I* were to have posted this exact thread, I not only would have been made fun of and told "get out of here" because of the "duh" obviousness of what would happened next, the thread would have turned out differently.

I too could have posted these exact same "guesses" as it seems me and SWG read the same rumor pages.

So come follow me and my crystal ball! Hell we all have the power to have SWG "wisdom" over such things.

I think Kevin could save a lot of time if instead of typing out his long-winded replies, he would just say "I am right." It would have the same effect.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 05:28 PM

Okay, just to clarify. Can you enter contacts and calendar events into the iPod touch?
Well, to answer my own question, this is from Apple's website:
And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts.
So it appears those rumors are false.

StrongBadinator
Baninated
Sep 10, 2007, 12:11 PM

Kevin sure is a nice guy. I'm sure Jesus would be acting the same way.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by StrongBadinator View Post
Welcome back, Rob.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2007, 12:50 PM

Oh boy, that was quick.

And for the record, I did NOT report you.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2007, 01:21 PM

Contacts: Yes
Calendar: No

For this reason (and several others, like missing Mail and widgets), I'm not really interested in the iPod touch anymore.

However, if iFuntastic and similar software work on the iPod touch to install these apps, then maybe I'll be back in the game.

The lack of volume keys is annoying though. At least with the iPods you could adjust the volume or skip without having to look at the screen.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

For this reason (and several others, like missing Mail and widgets), I'm not really interested in the iPod touch anymore.
Are you sure?

Originally Posted by Apple
And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 10, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by StrongBadinator View Post
Jesus actually called me the other day and asked "Whats the deal with that Rob guy always referring to me?... I don't know him..... "

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 03:13 PM

How did a thread about SWG getting a prediction right turn into yet another pissing match?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
How did a thread about SWG getting a prediction right turn into yet another pissing match?
Actually, this may come as a shock to you, but for once, this REALLY seems seems to be Rob's fault.
If you find irony in this post, you may keep it.
-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 05:22 PM

Actually, this may come as a shock to you, but for once, this REALLY seems seems to be Rob's fault.
If you find irony in this post, you may keep it.
-t
No, it was a pissing match long before Rob came in with his comment. Kevin's just looking for stuff to bug SWG about.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 13, 2007, 06:21 AM

If someone were to post a desktop pic in a, say theme forum say 4 months ago and said "look what I made"

Then a few months down the road another person took that desktop, added his name to it, and some lens flare. And said "Hey look what I made"

Would pointing out to said person that he just took what someone else did, and changed it a bit while taking credit for it all be a personal attack on said person? Would it be bugging them?

Naw. It would just be you expecting them to be honest.

Maybe I just expect too much.
( Last edited by Kevin; Sep 13, 2007 at 11:32 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 09:19 AM

Really? Three days and you couldn't let it die?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

Are you sure?
Originally Posted by Apple
Yes I'm 100% sure. Apple specifically removed that blurb about the calendar events.
Originally Posted by Apple, a little bit later
And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, or adding new contacts.
And just for further confirmation:
Originally Posted by Apple, to Engadget
Like current iPods, the touch can only view calendar entries created on your computer
Fsckin idiotic.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 09:35 AM

Nice catch. Wonder how they let that through, though. Copied from the iPhone page?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 09:38 AM

Nice catch. Wonder how they let that through, though. Copied from the iPhone page?
Probably.

Or, since it's a software issue, they could have decided at a later point to cripple the iPod touch, so that there is more incentive to buy the iPhone.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 09:40 AM

My guess is that whomever wrote this just assumed it was there (esp. since the iCal app is already there) and thought Apple couldn't possibly be lame enough to leave this feature out.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 09:44 AM

Damn your insolent tongue emoticon.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 10:01 AM

I'm sure a web-based calendar will be easy enough to use. I'm not so sure about getting one now, the $300 could do a lot of good for my car too. I did apply for the Amazon Visa so I can get $30 off my first purchase, but I don't think they like the fact that I make less than $10,000 a year.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2007, 10:10 AM

I'm sure a web-based calendar will be easy enough to use.
My iCal calendar is not web based.

I'd be better off just using my Sony phone (which is what I do actually).

Are there even any free and good iCal plug-ins for web-based event entry? When I checked a while back, there weren't. However, even if there were, like I said it'd be useless because I don't have my iCal calendar published to the web, and I'm not always near the web anyway. The benefit of using my phone is that entered events are local on the phone, and then it gets sync'd to my computer later.

However, that's not an ideal solution either, because Apple's iSync support for Sony phones is not the greatest, and entering calendar events on a phone with a numeric keypad is a major PITA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules