Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > problems with Video driver and new iMac

problems with Video driver and new iMac
Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2007, 08:02 PM

First let me say I had been using Bootcamp and XP on my previous imac with no problems.
I now have a new aluminium iMac, and I installed Bootcamp/Windows XP in the same way as I had with my old one. But now when XP finishes booting up and I log in the monitor goes off, but Windows continues loading as I can hear it continuing to load stuff up and play it's little 'dings'.
So what I think is happening is that the monitor is being set to an unsupported resolution or refresh rate.
I have tried to fix this by booting XP in to 'VGA' mode (which loads it using 640x480) which works, but when I chose a higher resolution, BANG! the monitor switches off, and I have to hit the power button, then return to gracefully shutdown Windows.
Anyone have a 'fix' for this? I cant believe that XP worked really well on my old iMac, and not at all with the new one.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 8, 2007, 09:19 PM

During boot, press F8 and select Safe Mode. Once it finishes booting in this mode (it'll take a lot longer), navigate to the display settings (it's simplest to do this through the Control Panel, but there are a bunch of ways to get there). Now choose a mode that you know works-800X600 will work (and look like crap, but that's a different matter). Once you've clicked on OK, back out and then reboot. Let it boot all the way by itself-you should have video the whole way through. When it finishes booting, select a more appropriate display resolution. The default and greatest resolution for my 20" aluminum iMac is 1680 X 1050.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mediaman_12  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
During boot, press F8 and select Safe Mode. Once it finishes booting in this mode (it'll take a lot longer), navigate to the display settings (it's simplest to do this through the Control Panel, but there are a bunch of ways to get there). Now choose a mode that you know works-800X600 will work (and look like crap, but that's a different matter). Once you've clicked on OK, back out and then reboot. Let it boot all the way by itself-you should have video the whole way through. When it finishes booting, select a more appropriate display resolution. The default and greatest resolution for my 20" aluminum iMac is 1680 X 1050.
Thanks, I have tried this (even doing a 'safe boot' in VGA mode, which loads in the display driver instead of using the default one.) but when I select a higher resolution, the screen goes off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules