Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Error of Type 2

Error of Type 2
buzzedchiguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2001, 11:17 PM

I consistently get an error message that says "Error of Type 2" which automatically shuts down the program I'm working in (usually Photoshop or Limewire) and tells me I should restart my computer. I'm wondering if this might be a memory problem? Anyone know what this is about? It's annoying.

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Blue Dalmation iMac SE 600MHz
17" PB 1GHz
Graphite iBook SE 466MHz
Twentieth Anniversary Mac
5GB iPod

Corinthian
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2001, 12:12 AM

Hi,
According to Apple Knowledge Base, it seems that Error Type 2 is some kind of unknown problems that are oldies. But its effects depend on the screen after you received such message. I have experienced Error Type 11 and the frames were lost. In my case, it is a must to restart because the title bar errs. But Error Type 2 on my mac would do nothing to the screen, and therefore you can just leave them alone......... This is only my opinion, and please provide better solutions should I be wrong......
Hope this may help..........
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

reader50
Administrator
Jun 12, 2001, 01:12 AM

Errors type 2, 3, and 11 are supposed to be related to 68K Mac code problems. In practice, they are pretty generic errors that seem to be caused mostly by low memory allocation.

Select the application (not an alias) and go to the menu File -> Get Info -> Memory. Increase the Preferred Size by about 20%. Also, look at the Suggested Size box. Make sure the Preferred Size is larger than the Suggested Size. Close the dialog when you are done.

The next time that application launches, you will be much less likely to see an error type 2, 3, or 11.

Forum Links
Forum Rules