Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Classic, I don't get it

Classic, I don't get it
kevs
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 12:13 AM

I've been on OSX for two years now and barely remember OS9. But I've decided to reboot into and start using OS9 to print from Photoshop 7 with Epson OS9 printer drivers-- (OSX and Epson for me have never ending problems --jobs stopped and centering problems etc.

I re-booted into OS9 and installed software from internet to Epson drivers and Logitech mouse drivers. I was having problems installing Photoshop 7 in OS9, so I installed it in OS, yet it works fine while I'm in OS9. Everything is printing well and going great in OS9.

Now I try classic. I startup Classic, thinking I'm going to see the OS9 interface, but it's not there, I'm still in OS10 effectively. So if I'm not in the OS9 interface how is the computer going to know I want to print in OS9 with the OS9 printer drivers? If I open Photoshop 7 it comes up in OS10. If I open any PHotoshop image it will come up in PHotoshop CS in OS10.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2004, 09:18 AM

Isn't PS7 carbonized to work in both OS9 and OSX? If you are in OS9, it runs like any OS9 app. If you are in OSX, it runs like and OSX app.

If you run a non-carbonized classic app in OSX, you will see the OLD apple menu bar at the top ONLY when you are "in" that classic app. the OS9 "interface" is essentially gone.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 02:03 PM

Didn't understand word of that, but if anyone else can try to answer my question I'd really like to know what goes on with Classic versus booting into OS 9. ie if I'll be able to print from Photoshop 7 from classic -- ie how will OSX know that I want to print from OS9 and my OS9 drivers and not from CS in 10.

Photoshop 7, works both 9 & 10. How it works, I don't know.

mikerally
Senior User
Feb 28, 2004, 12:11 PM

Photoshop 7.0 is a Carbon application. It works both in Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.

If you want to launch Photoshop 7.0 in Classic, find the Photoshop 7.0 application, select it and choose "Get Info" from the file menu. In the box that comes up, tick the checkbox that says "Open in the Classic Environment", close the box and launch Photoshop.

Classic applications use the Mac OS 9 printer settings, Classic applications are not even aware that Mac OS X is even running, they are still in Mac OS 9 as far as their concerned.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 03:01 PM

Mike, thanks, yes worked great tip. Couple problems:

1) After spooling, and printing part of photo, I get this: 'Communication error with printer. Please reset (or turn on) the printer and try printing again."
I turned off printer and tried again, but got same message. What does reset mean? any ideas how to solve this?

2) I hoping to solve this, and if I do and can happily print in classic, is there still any advantages over printing directly booted in OS9 as opposed to using PS7 and printing in classic?

3) Sign comes up in classic says version of quicktime in not recommended. Should I go to website, (while in classic).. or not bother.

4) Is there any harm or strain on computer to having classic running all time? (dual 533 g4 with Gig ram. Also, can have classic come up as a startup item?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by kevs:
4) Is there any harm or strain on computer to having classic running all time? (dual 533 g4 with Gig ram. Also, can have classic come up as a startup item?
Uh, no. It's just another app to OSX.

Go into System Preferences > Classic and check the "Start Classic when you log in" box and it will boot every time you log in to OSX.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 10:46 PM

Thanks Ermijah:
Then classic I assume will lauch when I restart my computer as well?

Anyone can answer the first 3 questions? thanks. Still can't print in Classic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules