Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > help me create a user that can only use iTunes!

help me create a user that can only use iTunes!
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 09:59 PM

I want to create a user that can only use iTunes, so at partys and such I can leave my computer running and have people (roommates) pick music to play.

I tried creating a limited user, and having only iTunes selected, but iTunes could not see my library, I am assuming I will have to create a duplicate library, or just move my library to a shared folder. which I will do, BUT

I want to have a VERY simple user screen, so the desktop has one icon on it, that being iTunes. so that is the only thing they can click on and use.

can this be done?

Zach
( Last edited by phantomdragonz; Dec 16, 2004 at 10:24 PM. )

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 10:08 PM

iPod.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 10:21 PM

Limited user is the way to go.
As you said you'll need to put your songs in a shared folder.

I don't think you can have any icons on the desktop though... even by copying aliases to the Desktop directory of the limited user is blocked (probaby a good idea anyway).
( Last edited by Dog Like Nature; Dec 16, 2004 at 10:29 PM. )
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Dog Like Nature:
Limited user is the way to go.
As you said you'll need to put your songs in a shared folder.

I don't think you can have any icons on the desktop though... even by copying aliases to the Desktop directory of the limited user is blocked (probaby a good idea anyway).
You don't need to move your music anywhere.

I share the same music library with all the users on my computer- this should work with a limited user account too.

The quick instructions: change the permissions of the main users Music folder to allow other users accounts to import the library file only. If you didn't understand that, read on.

First, log in as the main user. Then change the permission of the Music folder of your home directory to allow others to read only (select folder-->File-->Get Info-->Ownership & Permssions--> then change group Access to Read Only (this is assuming you keep your iTunes music collection in the default location- otherwise change the folder containing it in the same manner)

Now, log in as the iTunes-only user. Open iTunes, go to iTunes-->Prefferences...--> and make sure the boxes next to "Keep iTunes Music Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding..." are UNCHECKED. Then go File-->Import... and navigate to the iTunes folder in the Music folder of the main user (the one that you changed the permission for). Look for the file called "iTunes Music Library.xml" import it and you are good to go.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 11:32 PM

sweet... that makes it exactly what I want.... except for the fact that I still dont have my huge Icon on the desktop, but oh well. Cant have everything...

Zach

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2004, 12:20 AM

You don't need to do any funky permissions/folder/importing nonsense. iTunes Music Sharing works between users on the same machine just as easily as across machines. Turn on Music Sharing in your main user, turn on "look for shared music" on the iTunes-only user. Your Library will pop up in the source list (of course, your user has to be logged in with iTunes open for the iTunes-only user to see it). This way, you don't have to mess with any permissions, you can easily toggle it on and off, and even limit what playlists they can access.

I actually made a brief web tutorial on the subject for my buddy who I helped buy an eMac so he could let his daughters (limited users) listen to his library. http://homepage.mac.com/krusty/lost/
( Last edited by Krusty; Dec 18, 2004 at 12:25 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules