Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > DAMN that GLOBAL WARMING!

DAMN that GLOBAL WARMING!
smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2007, 02:36 AM

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/c...nclick_check=1

So is it official? Can we now make up anything we'd like to tie problems to global warming?

Cuz' there's a whole lotta shiite in my life that is just ITCHING for a scapegoat!
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 02:42 AM

Working link: http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_6192460

And the article has kind of an interesting thesis. I'm not sure exactly how right it is, but it's at least somewhat believable on a level that even global warming-deniers shouldn't have a problem with.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2007, 03:01 AM

So it IS official then…excellent.

I better get to work on the thesis that explains to my wife why I spent 4 times more on fixing my boat than she thought I did.

And how that phone number got in my pocket…

(funny the link worked for me)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 09:11 AM

It wants a registration and I'm too lazy. How 'bout a summary?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
I haven't read the article, but I assume it goes something like this:

The problems in Darfur are, to a very great extent, caused by a lack of water. Demand and competition for water and other resources are what have lead to the current situation. Global warming, such as it is, could clearly be considered a culprit behind drought and the disappearance of water resources. Thus, it is entirely feasible that massive global warming resulting in extreme drought could result in huge conflicts and tragedies such as in Darfur.

This isn't exactly a new idea, people have been saying that global warming could lead to political unrest for years.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2007, 12:33 PM

Maybe it's going to say that our international attention is being drawn away from humanitarian efforts in places like Darfur and wasted on things like climate change...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I haven't read the article, but I assume it goes something like this:

The problems in Darfur are, to a very great extent, caused by a lack of water. Demand and competition for water and other resources are what have lead to the current situation. Global warming, such as it is, could clearly be considered a culprit behind drought and the disappearance of water resources. Thus, it is entirely feasible that massive global warming resulting in extreme drought could result in huge conflicts and tragedies such as in Darfur.
Yep.

Of course, it's absolutely nothing to do with the territory being on the edge of a particular religion's empire. Nothing at all.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
My link should work. And nonhuman's summary is basically correct.
Chuck
___

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 01:27 PM

"Global warming, such as it is, could clearly be considered a culprit behind drought and the disappearance of water resources."

Revolutionary thesis. Not surprising that smacintush has no substantial comments of his own to make. Business as usual.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Of course, it's absolutely nothing to do with the territory being on the edge of a particular religion's empire. Nothing at all.
I click the View Post button occasionally just to be reminded why you're on ignore.

Of course that has something to do with it. The article doesn't claim otherwise, it's just a hypothesis on how global climate change is affecting water resources and forcing the farmers and rebels to encroach on other territories.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I click the View Post button occasionally just to be reminded why you're on ignore.
Yeah! Nothing like burying your head in the sand so you don't have to hear the other side's argument, eh?

Of course that has something to do with it. The article doesn't claim otherwise, it's just a hypothesis on how global climate change is affecting water resources and forcing the farmers and rebels to encroach on other territories.
It's bollocks - bollocks dreamt up by idiots to avoid confronting the real cause of the problem. As per usual.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 01:56 PM

Yeah! Nothing like burying your head in the sand so you don't have to hear the other side's argument, eh?
You don't provide arguments, just endless streams of stupidity. I put you on ignore because I got sick and tired of pointing out your fallacies every other damn post; your complete ineptitude towards logical deduction and god damn common sense.

It's bollocks - bollocks dreamt up by idiots to avoid confronting the real cause of the problem. As per usual.
A war over resources; haves and have nots; the cause of the problem hasn't changed, people need water and they're going to kill each other over it. All this article does is cover one possibility as to why there is a water shortage. It doesn't blame the conflict on global climate change, it simply states that it could have had a hand in causing said water shortage and, therefore, the ongoing battle.

Almost invariably, we discuss Darfur in a convenient military and political shorthand - an ethnic conflict pitting Arab militias against black rebels and farmers. Look to its roots, though, and you discover a more complex dynamic. Amid the diverse social and political causes, the Darfur conflict began as an ecological crisis, arising at least in part from climate change.

In short, read the article.

Gods, every time I respond to your idiocy I get an infraction, that's why I put you on ignore.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 02:07 PM

So you believe the fact that it's located in the same place it's always been located is the sole cause of the recent strife, rather than something that's actually changed recently being involved?
Chuck
___

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 02:11 PM

Almost invariably, we discuss Darfur in a convenient military and political shorthand - an ethnic conflict pitting Arab militias against black rebels and farmers. Look to its roots, though, and you discover a more complex dynamic. Amid the diverse social and political causes, the Darfur conflict began as an ecological crisis, arising at least in part from climate change.
No it didn't. It began as a mo's boys want more land crisis, as with every conflict on the edge of their empire.

In short, read the article.
I read the report weeks ago. It's written by mindless morons.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So you believe the fact that it's located in the same place it's always been located is the sole cause of the recent strife, rather than something that's actually changed recently being involved?
Recent strife? There's been strife there since the 14th century. Guess who brought it.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 10:29 AM

This thread is a result of global warming.
ebuddy

Railroader
Banned
Jun 23, 2007, 06:21 PM

Gods, every time I respond to your idiocy I get an infraction, that's why I put you on ignore.
You blaming him for that?!?!

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2007, 11:55 AM

Dubya: "Ladies and gentlemen, I hereby announce today that our strategy in Iraq is failing, our real enemy is global warning. I stand today to ask congress to declare war on all those countries who contribute to global warning except china and our allies. Thank you ladies and gentlemen."
( Last edited by tiger; Jun 25, 2007 at 11:32 PM. )

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 01:39 PM

From the IGPCC on Africa: “Projected reductions in yield in some countries could be as much as 50 percent by 2020, and crop net revenues could fall as much as 90 percent."

Certainly a lot of people are going to die -- I can't see that wars would be a surprising consequence.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Rumor
Jun 29, 2007, 04:47 PM

This sounds like a problem for...

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 09:15 AM

IT'S A QUAGMIRE!!!
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules